Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

0.1dB Accuracy Needed for "Calibrating SPL Reading"?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Savjac 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi! Sophomore REW user here regarding "Calibrating the SPL Reading" section of REW Help.

I came across a thread that made me a little nervous about entering a value accurate to one significant decimal place. So I have a couple of questions:
  1. How important is it to enter a precise value into the REW SPL Meter?
  2. Maybe more importantly, when would you need to enter an accurate SPL value?

In my experience, a few tenths difference doesn't significantly affect the reported maximum SPL that can be measured. Even with my external SPL meter is set to C-weighted and Slow Response, the reading fluctuates naturally with the pink noise test signal. The fluctuations are only on the order of 1dB, so I just average them. As an example: for a swing between 74dB and 75dB, I'll enter 74.5dB into REW's SPL Calibration window.

Am I over-thinking this?
Thanks in advance for any advice/insights.

Incidentally, I came across an example in which an SPL value accurate to 0.1 dB actually is needed. It's contained in jtalden's alternate method for calibrating REW's SPL meter. To quote jtalden: "...it provides a quick easy way to get a highly repeatable REW SPL cal level from calibration to calibration using only a simple loopback cable. The input level and thus the resulting headroom can also be easily changed without any impact to the REW SPL meter level." , in which an SPL value accurate to 0.1 dB is needed

See less See more
#2 ·
I mislead you. There is little need for high accuracy for most all the common uses of REW. It usually doesn't matter to us if our trace is located at 75dB when the true level is 3 dB higher or lower. We are typically more concerned with the relative levels of the trace across the frequency range. Those relative levels are more a result of the mic calibration file and the soundcard calibration.

The method I outlined for REW SPL calibration is probably no more accurate than the other methods commonly used. The resulting accuracy of the total measuring system is likely to be within 2-3 db of true SPL. Rounding off the calculated calibration number to 1 dB is fine. I didn't mean to imply that 1 or 2 decimals added any value to the process. It was just the result of the my example calculation and an oversight in not rounding it to the nearest dB.

The primarily advantages to that process is; only a suitable loopback cable is needed and that the process is fast and easy to accomplish. [No SLM or multimeter is needed.]

That method does require us to lookup the specs on the mic and soundcard and convert them into the needed units to get the needed calibration number. We only have to do that once however. Then, we just use that same number each time we want to recalibrate the REW SPL meter.

#4 ·
My own approach involves a little splitting of hairs. While there is NO real benefit, many of us have some OCD behavior going on in places in our AV hobby behavior. Mine involves symmetry, keeping cables untangled & unknotted, and nice round numbers for readings. Again, there is NO real benefit to this, if just feels better.

There are cases where repeatability is important, where matching of driver or speaker levels is desired, and a fraction of a dB for matching makes a difference. But for general SPL readings it does not.

Plus, as is often pointed out, common SPL meters have only +/- 2 dB absolute accuracy anyway. You must pay a LOT for better than that.

#5 ·
So I have a couple of questions:
  1. How important is it to enter a precise value into the REW SPL Meter?
  2. Maybe more importantly, when would you need to enter an accurate SPL value?
Typically in professional situations, such as noise mitigation in a factory setting for worker safety reasons, or a peace officer enforcing noise ordinances. These situations can’t reasonably utilize the cheap Class 3 meters we use, that technically should spec @ +/- 1.5 dBA but are often actually +/- 2 dBA or even worse. Due to the potential of legal challenges, accuracy is necessary, and as such meters can cost hundreds for Class 2 devices (+/- 1 dBA or better) or even thousands for Class 1 devices (+/- .7 dBA).

As far as measuring with .1 dB accuracy is concerned, good luck with that. Laboratory-grade Class 0 meters (cost - who knows? I can't even find any for sale) offer accuracy to “only” +/- .4 dBA.

Regards,
Wayne

#7 ·
I do not believe that in setting up speakers in a room, those close tolerances are needed. I agree that in designing a crossover of speaker construction those tolerances may be needed. Further these 0.1db or 0.2 db will ever be heard. Some say we need 3.0db of difference before the listener notices a difference, I tend to think it may be lower than that actually. Never the less use a good SPL meter, I have the Galaxy CM140 and although it does have 10th of a decibel readouts, I don't even pay attention to them.

#8 ·
Jack, I'm curious about the galaxy meter. I've always used my RS digital, which if nothing else was consistently, itself. I noticed the other day a discrepancy between it and the REW meter via hdmi with calibration file. So for the first time used the REW meter to set my channel levels. The rolling decimals are irritating btw. Haven't had time to evaluate anything but in the past, on certain material, I've been able to notice 1db deficits in 2ch. I've always used my RS because it's simple and (I thought) effective, and faster than REW. Now me thinks it's time to go shopping.

#9 ·
I got it Willis because it was a component suggested in the REW instructions...and because my RS meter was having fits. The Galaxy seems to do quite well and I love the max and min hold features. Not the cheapest horse in the barn but it works quite well...every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.