Help, I think I may have a mess lol - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 49 Old 03-15-17, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Help, I think I may have a mess lol

OK, just received after ordering two weeks ago my UMIK-1
SO, 8am in shower doorbell rings and peak out window and here's my delivery a day earlier.
So, connected the IMIK-1 downloaded the .cal and then started up REW added the .cal file and well I think I played too much with REW and have things out of whack.
So, I un-installed REW , re installed it and well, went to calibrate the stereo and got no volume , in anything. Even with the Pre Amps own pink noise settings.
So, about then I am 30 minutes late for work. So, off I go, then to Halifax for a hockey game. Got home 12am, down stairs I go and re-set the Pre/Pro. Yeah I got volume, re calibrated to -8db on the volume dial and adjusted the levels to 75db with REW SPL. Using the Pre/Pro pink noise. Well I could only get the sub to 65db and I think it was going to up and walk off. Sounded way louder than the mains and centre.
So, I am thinking maybe thats the reason the capture is so low on the sub 20hz - 80 ish.
Thinking I got to re calibrate and bring that sub db up to 75db also or lower the rest to 65db, right ?
Attached Thumbnails
Help, I think I may have a mess lol-march.jpg  

Last edited by Troy P Dorey; 03-16-17 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 03-16-17, 10:27 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Help, I think I may have a mess lol

I’m afraid not much makes sense there, Troy. I can’t tell if you’re doing what you’re doing with REW’s controls or your sound system’s. Nor is the actual problem coming through. If your sub’s level is low, that’s not an REW issue.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 49 Old 03-16-17, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

all my sound system.
Ok I used REW SPL Meter with my UMIK-1 Mic. Installed the .CAL files for the Umik
then I set my Pre/Pro system to the normal level I listen to -5db on the dial. I went into the Pre/Pro settings and using the pink noise generator with the Pre/Pro's I adjusted all the speakers to 75db. My sub though I could only get to 70db. I have Axiom EP350
Once that was done I ran REW measure. and then this is the result of that.

I am wondering if I should recalibrate to 60 db all speakers and re run the REW Measure
Attached Thumbnails
Help, I think I may have a mess lol-march-17.jpg  

post #4 of 49 Old 03-16-17, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

getting very annoyed at this program and mic. Should of kept my money and just upgraded the processor to a new receiver and let ARC do the job. Low input levels now. Had to use my cell phone as a SPL meter
post #5 of 49 Old 03-16-17, 05:49 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Post an mdat file so we can see some of the your settings. Maybe there is a hint there.
post #6 of 49 Old 03-16-17, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

FInally got something. LIne Level on USB was off
Attached Thumbnails
Help, I think I may have a mess lol-march-17.jpg  

post #7 of 49 Old 03-16-17, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ok thanks here goes
Attached Files MArch 17 -1.mdat (135.7 KB) 
post #8 of 49 Old 03-16-17, 07:52 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

If I understand correctly the Subs playing at a high sound level compared to the mains when this measurement was made.
There is no evidence in the chart below that a sub was even active. It looks like a main speaker response. One that is crossed over at pretty high, maybe 120 or even 200 Hz.
I reviewed the 'info' in mdat file and all looked normal to me. I found no evidence of the problem in the REW settings.
Even with the loud bass the mic recorded unusually low levels in the bass range. Even in quiet room the a measurement would normally record 45-55 dB at 20 Hz just from a combination of the normal ambient noise and the normal mic noise floor. It did start to detect sound >70 Hz, and it rose to ~75 dB at 200 Hz. See the chart below plotted with more normal scaling.
Help, I think I may have a mess lol-mic-problem.jpg

I can't think of any good explanation for this result in the setup, but there could be something. You may want to contact MiniDSP and see if this is possibly a known mic problem. If you can, borrow another UMIK-1 mic to confirm if that is the problem.
post #9 of 49 Old 03-16-17, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks I get hardly any bottom end volume when running the scan. Very low. My processor is set at 80hz cut off. I will try more tomorrow
post #10 of 49 Old 03-17-17, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'm going to buy an external USB sound card. Trying to locate a HDMI sound card extractor but not happening cheaply