Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Help, I think I may have a mess lol

Tags
lol mess
6K views 48 replies 4 participants last post by  Troy P Dorey 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, just received after ordering two weeks ago my UMIK-1
SO, 8am in shower doorbell rings and peak out window and here's my delivery a day earlier.
So, connected the IMIK-1 downloaded the .cal and then started up REW added the .cal file and well I think I played too much with REW and have things out of whack.
So, I un-installed REW , re installed it and well, went to calibrate the stereo and got no volume , in anything. Even with the Pre Amps own pink noise settings.
So, about then I am 30 minutes late for work. So, off I go, then to Halifax for a hockey game. Got home 12am, down stairs I go and re-set the Pre/Pro. Yeah I got volume, re calibrated to -8db on the volume dial and adjusted the levels to 75db with REW SPL. Using the Pre/Pro pink noise. Well I could only get the sub to 65db and I think it was going to up and walk off. Sounded way louder than the mains and centre.
So, I am thinking maybe thats the reason the capture is so low on the sub 20hz - 80 ish.
Thinking I got to re calibrate and bring that sub db up to 75db also or lower the rest to 65db, right ?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
all my sound system.
Ok I used REW SPL Meter with my UMIK-1 Mic. Installed the .CAL files for the Umik
then I set my Pre/Pro system to the normal level I listen to -5db on the dial. I went into the Pre/Pro settings and using the pink noise generator with the Pre/Pro's I adjusted all the speakers to 75db. My sub though I could only get to 70db. I have Axiom EP350
Once that was done I ran REW measure. and then this is the result of that.

I am wondering if I should recalibrate to 60 db all speakers and re run the REW Measure

Attachments

#8 ·
If I understand correctly the Subs playing at a high sound level compared to the mains when this measurement was made.
There is no evidence in the chart below that a sub was even active. It looks like a main speaker response. One that is crossed over at pretty high, maybe 120 or even 200 Hz.
I reviewed the 'info' in mdat file and all looked normal to me. I found no evidence of the problem in the REW settings.
Even with the loud bass the mic recorded unusually low levels in the bass range. Even in quiet room the a measurement would normally record 45-55 dB at 20 Hz just from a combination of the normal ambient noise and the normal mic noise floor. It did start to detect sound >70 Hz, and it rose to ~75 dB at 200 Hz. See the chart below plotted with more normal scaling.
Text Line Font Plot Slope

I can't think of any good explanation for this result in the setup, but there could be something. You may want to contact MiniDSP and see if this is possibly a known mic problem. If you can, borrow another UMIK-1 mic to confirm if that is the problem.

#11 ·
I misunderstood then. The bass sound was very low as measured. That sounds more like an issue with the cabling/connections chosen or the selected listening mode in the pre-pro. How is that setup?
Maybe:
Computer soundcard output > 1/8" stereo TRS to RCA adaptor > dual RCA cables > pre-pro CD input ??
pre-pro listening mode = stereo ??

If the pre-pro multichannel left and right inputs are used then there will be no SW signal. The pre-pro only redirects the bass from the normal stereo line inputs.

#19 ·
Well Guess I got to go back to the original setup and calibration. Moved the sub to the baclk and so localized now. But, I am getting the hang of this. Just take measurments move sub around . Still not sure about this shelf thing etc but the bass is smoother an I like it. Basia bass lines are nice.

#23 ·
yeh, I'm just trying to figure this out. Too many instructions. Thought I had it set for 100db.
as for the House curve and shelf ,
Would that be set u the shelf curves before setting up the sub. Then hook the DSP up to the sub, run a sweep. then do the adjustmeants, thne send that to the dsp ?

#24 ·
Ok
Changed the axis etc
Not sure yet where or what you menat from the 5db/division.

Think I have this house curve correct. I deleted all the measurements, went to eq settings then created one filter at 366hz -15db and 120/60 went into the filter tasks > match range and set to 30hz t0 400hz , set target level 75db then sent that to the dsp program 5.
then I reran measurements on program 5.
then did the set target level , then match target level , optimized gains and q's, then sent that to the dsp and program 4.

anyways. GN

Attachments

#25 ·
The chart you posted shows 10 dB increments (lines) between the dB levels. Set upper and lower chart scale as needed to position the trace on the chart and have dB line increments displayed each 5 dB. Be aware that as you change the size of the chart it is often to necessary to again change the scale so that a 5dB spacing is retained. The 45-105 dB recommendation usually works well for a full screen display of REW. You are Posting charts that are much smaller so that resulted in a 10 or 20 dB/division spacing.

Regarding your overall objective:
What is your objective? What equipment/controls do you have available to achieve it? Depending on you answers I suspect the current chart is not much help.

If you can only EQ the SW and will do that manually (how?), and want to integrate it with the main speakers, and want to EQ to a house curve then one good general approach might be: [First remove any EQ filters that are anyplace near the XO range. What is the XO freq?]
1. Determine and set the delay/distance needed for a good handoff between the SW and Mains.
2. Chose SW level and EQ the SW range with the mains operating to best fit the target full range House Curve . [What is the house curve target? The one in the file is for the SW only.]

We can provide detail for each of these 2 steps as needed.

It's okay do this work in reverse:
1. Set the SW EQ for the target SW response.
2. Determine and set the delay/distance and SW level needed for a good handoff between the SW and Mains.

It looks like you were thinking this way. I prefer the first way as the EQ of the SW impacts the XO range to some extent so those filters can be better set using the full range house curve with the mains operating. That way we also don't have to determine the proper SW response curve, we just need the overall house curve.

#26 ·
Hi Jtalden.
have a Anthem AVM30 so not usabale eq'ing in it for me.
I bought a DSP1124P and a UMIK-1 mic. Picked up MIDI usb cable to communicate with REW.

My speakers are Axiom M22 book shelfs but I will be upgrading to the M5HP to get a bit more bottom end. These M22 just don't go far enough in this room. I am 10 ft from my Mains and I sit 8.5 from the front of the centre channel I added a extra ft to 9.5ft for the centre.

I have a major drop at 82hz and 98hz and I have a drop from 200 - 500hz tried everything to get rid of it to no avail.

I am beginning to think I should of just up graded to the MRX720 or AVM60 and let ARC run its course on this.

I have a Axiom EP350 ported sub, going to up grade to dual EP500 sealed sometime this year as cant stand that port chuffing.

I have a couple inch of rigid fibre glass 2' x 4' in the rear corners. Came from sound panels from a movie theatre, but am going to get bass traps installed eventually.

All I want to do is EQ the sub and get some decent sound. It was real boomy and fat sounding. Even with the little bit of playing I been doing It sounds better than what it was. I took from one of Waynes post the Hard Knee curve, those settings made a text file and put it in the house cureve area of the REW settings. Not sure if it would be correct but anyways .
I also, took from BruceK post on a shelf eq and what I did probably wrong, but created one filter from 30hz to 400hz and set a filter at 366hz and -15db also 120/60 octave. save to PA 5. then I set the DSP to 5 and ran a sweep again. then did the target tasks etc. Uploaded to PA 7 think there were 4 filters.

probably all wrong but, just want to blend that sub with the mains andhave some nice none boomy bass

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.