1Likes

post #11 of 22 Old 04-11-17, 12:03 PM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System
Re: REW and DIRAC

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
...how do you load files from REW into the XMC1? I ran DIRAC a couple times and it loads them automatically.
The XMC-1 has three PEQ presets. One is dedicated to Dirac Live LE and gets generated automatically when running the software. The other two are for whatever you like. One could be used to store filters generated by REW. The other could be used to store personal preferences. If setting up one of the presets for REW:
  1. Take an REW measurement at the LP of the speaker(s) you wish to correct (e.g. L+R+Subs)
  2. Select the XMC-1 in REW > EQ_WINDOW > EQ_SETTINGS > EQUALIZER_PANEL
  3. Generate the REW filters for the XMC-1 by clicking on the EQ_FILTERS button in the EQ_WINDOW.
  4. For each of the filters listed in Step-3 above, repeat the following XMC-1 menu sequence (up to a maximum of 11 filters per speaker):
    • SPEAKERS > PRESETS > PRESET1 > SETUP_SPEAKERS_EQ > SPEAKER_x > Filter_x > LEVEL/WIDTH/FREQ

Example of REW-generated PEQ filter list for a DSP1124P equalizer
REW and DIRAC-capture3.png

Example of REW-generated PEQ filter list for a GENERIC equalizer
REW and DIRAC-capture4.png

XMC-1 Menu Structure for Manual PEQ Entry (1 of 2)
REW and DIRAC-capture1.png

XMC-1 Menu Structure for Manual PEQ Entry (2 of 2)
REW and DIRAC-capture2.png

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 04-11-17, 02:54 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
FargateOne wrote: View Post
Neither do I but I am not an expert. The only thing I think of if for the house curve file which is not a calibration file. If you can tailor one with REW ( I know it is possible but I never did) then you can copy the coordinates of each point of your slope in a note pad file and copy it in a new target curve file for Dirac.
Yes but not only is that tedious but it is limited to the frequency domain. I do not know how one could copy a convolution or filter set into Dirac. More likely would be to copy those directly into Roon.

Kal Rubinson
post #13 of 22 Old 04-11-17, 02:55 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
The XMC-1 has three PEQ presets. One is dedicated to Dirac Live LE and gets generated automatically when running the software. The other two are for whatever you like. One could be used to store filters generated by REW. The other could be used to store personal preferences.
Thanks. That will be helpful for those with XMC-1s but it does not involve DIRAC as far as I see it.

Kal Rubinson

post #14 of 22 Old 04-18-17, 06:55 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
Yes but not only is that tedious but it is limited to the frequency domain. I do not know how one could copy a convolution or filter set into Dirac. More likely would be to copy those directly into Roon.
Yes

miniDSP whose DSPs can use both solutions has published the following document about some differences (REW vs Dirac):
https://www.minidsp.com/applications...ac-live-vs-rew

Flavio

Warning: I may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #15 of 22 Old 04-18-17, 07:08 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Flak wrote: View Post
Yes
I hope this means what I'd like it to mean.

Kal Rubinson
post #16 of 22 Old 04-18-17, 07:11 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I hope this means what I'd like it to mean.
It means that you are correct as usual and expected, what else?

Flavio

Warning: I may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #17 of 22 Old 04-18-17, 08:32 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Flak wrote: View Post
It means that you are correct as usual and expected, what else?

Flavio

Kal Rubinson
post #18 of 22 Old 04-18-17, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

this thread has some super info for me not really knowing much about calibration and all the tools available and how they interact so thanks to everyone...

so let me ask this... So you know I have a XMC 1 and I ordered a UMIK so I have that covered. I also have a MINI DSP 2x4 and I am using 2 subs.....

How do I set up the MINI DSP during a DIRAC calibration ? Do I even need a MINI DSP when using DIRAC?

I ask this because I just plugged everything up and trying to get my SUBS to make any sound with the mini DSP something was not set correctly so I took it out and ran DIRAC and they had the normal amount of output id expect.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-21-17, 12:07 AM
Senior Shackster
Jerry

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
this thread has some super info for me not really knowing much about calibration and all the tools available and how they interact so thanks to everyone...

so let me ask this... So you know I have a XMC 1 and I ordered a UMIK so I have that covered. I also have a MINI DSP 2x4 and I am using 2 subs.....

How do I set up the MINI DSP during a DIRAC calibration ? Do I even need a MINI DSP when using DIRAC?

I ask this because I just plugged everything up and trying to get my SUBS to make any sound with the mini DSP something was not set correctly so I took it out and ran DIRAC and they had the normal amount of output id expect.
You may find this guide useful:

MiniDSP 2x4 implementation
post #20 of 22 Old 04-21-17, 12:16 AM
Senior Shackster
Jerry

Quote:
The OP has been talking about Dirac on the XMC-1. I have the MiniDSP 88A with the bass management plugin. On the 88A utility program, PEQ can be applied to each of the output channels downstream of the Dirac filters. The advanced tab on the PEQ configuration has an Import button, as shown in the attached screenshot. The User Guide does not specifically describe what the import button does, and I have not experimented with it myself, but my assumption is that it will import text files created by the REW EQ tool.

While this may not be importing "into Dirac" per se, I believe it would accomplish what we have been talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
REW and DIRAC-88a-import.jpg