REW and DIRAC - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 04-09-17, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System
REW and DIRAC

Send me to school here. Have a EMOTIVA XMC1 and looking to learn about calibration. I know this will be a long process. First off... The emotiva offers DIRAC. Is this the same as REW? Is one better than the other and how do you load files from REW into the XMC1? I ran DIRAC a couple times and it loads them automatically.

Should you run DIRAC or REW for a 2ch set up and a 7 Channel set up depending on what you are listening too?

fschris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-09-17, 06:24 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: REW and DIRAC

@Lumen . 'Lil help here!!!
REW is a measurement system that show you what your room sounds like. Dirac is actually the EQ that will adjust the sound(think audyssey). I think you can upload REW results into Dirac and select EQ curves etc, or use Dirac to measure and apply EQ by itself. Lumen has been through it too many times to count. Hopefully he, or anyone smarter n I am can help you.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-09-17, 07:41 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
I think you can upload REW results into Dirac and select EQ curves etc, or use Dirac to measure and apply EQ by itself.
You cannot upload the results of REW or any other measurement program to Dirac. Apparently, this may not be true but I have not seen this.

DiracLive measurements taken under different configurations or settings can be swapped in/out.

The major value of REW for DL users is to provide independent confirmation of DL's performance.

Kal Rubinson

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 04-10-17 at 07:54 AM.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-09-17, 08:05 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Thanks Kal. I knew someone would explain. For some reason I was thinking dirac allowed something similar to using a bfd and a midi connection and using target curves and corrections etc. From REW measurements.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-09-17, 09:17 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

REW room correction files can be uploaded into DIRAC under PEQ tab > advanced > Import....
post #6 of 22 Old 04-10-17, 07:30 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
REW room correction files can be uploaded into DIRAC under PEQ tab > advanced > Import....
Really!? I had not heard of this.

I do not see a PEQ tab or any input option in DIRAC calibration tool nor do I see DIRAC listed as a filter-type in REW. Can you explain?

Kal Rubinson

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 04-10-17 at 07:53 AM.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-10-17, 09:08 AM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
@Lumen . 'Lil help here!!!
REW is a measurement system that show you what your room sounds like. Dirac is actually the EQ that will adjust the sound(think audyssey). I think you can upload REW results into Dirac and select EQ curves etc, or use Dirac to measure and apply EQ by itself. Lumen has been through it too many times to count. Hopefully he, or anyone smarter n I am can help you.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Sorry for the delayed response (I was engaged with another hobby).

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
You cannot upload the results of REW or any other measurement program to Dirac. Apparently, this may not be true but I have not seen this.
DiracLive measurements taken under different configurations or settings can be swapped in/out.
The major value of REW for DL users is to provide independent confirmation of DL's performance.
Not that you need my input, Kal, but that's correct. Dirac Live (for PC) may have other features, but Dirac Live LE (for Emotiva XMC-1) accommodates only one calibration at a time. Dirac Live LE also offers no PEQ either before or after calibration.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-10-17, 10:28 AM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
Send me to school here. Have a EMOTIVA XMC1 and looking to learn about calibration. I know this will be a long process. First off... The emotiva offers DIRAC. Is this the same as REW?
Hi, fschris!
As explained by @willis7469 and @kal _Rubinson, Dirac is room correction (RC) software like Audyssey. REW is measurement software that can be used either before or after RC. REW will also generate PEQ filters for upload to a wide selection of equalizers/processors/AVRs. The difference between Dirac Live LE and REW filters is how they're generated and uploaded to the XMC-1.
  • REW Before RC - Used to find problems, so they can be corrected to make the RC software's job easier. That's beneficial because it uses fewer PEQ filters, which has a better effect on audio.
  • REW After RC - Used to verify that RC performed as expected, and if not, to analyze problems for another RC calibration (iterative process).
  • REW Used as RC - Manual interpretation of measurements and semi-automatic PEQ filter generation.

Quote:
Is one better than the other
The term "better" is highly subjective in this case and could be argued either way. I personally haven't used Audyssey, so have no direct experience, but @AudiocRaver conducted controlled comparisons which concluded that Dirac was superior for 2ch sound stage and imaging. Dirac also yields superior results with much greater ease than Audyssey. See Post #1 and Post #51 of thread Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Quote:
...and how do you load files from REW into the XMC1? I ran DIRAC a couple times and it loads them automatically.
Now that you know that REW and Dirac are separate, here's the story:
  • REW helps you measure your room/system and next helps you generate PEQ filter settings, which must then be manually entered into the XMC-1.
  • Dirac Live LE also measures the room/system, but results are automatically uploaded to the XMC-1. No manual PEQ is offered before or after upload, *BUT* speaker sizes and sub slope should be selected before and left alone afterward.

Quote:
Should you run DIRAC or REW for a 2ch set up and a 7 Channel set up depending on what you are listening too?
I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. During calibration, measurements are taken of individual speakers and of individual speakers + sub. So calibration accounts for all logical speaker combinations. Playback using the loaded calibration will be valid for 2-channel or multi-channel.

OTOH, separate calibrations for each would be an interesting experiment, and wouldn't hurt to try. You could create and enter separate RCs for both types. REW calibrations will be easier to compare because the XMC-1 has two programmable presets. Dirac Live LE calibrations would have to be uploaded from a PC each time.

So if you'd still like to try independent calibrations for stereo or multichannel, just disable the speakers that aren't used by setting them to NONE. For REW, the XMC-1 menu location is SETUP > SPEAKERS > PRESET x > SIZE/DISTANCE. For Dirac Live LE, the XMC-1 menu location is SETUP > SPEAKERS > DIRAC LIVE > LR/C/Sub > LARGE/SMALL.
fschris likes this.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #9 of 22 Old 04-10-17, 01:46 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
Not that you need my input, Kal, but that's correct. Dirac Live (for PC) may have other features, but Dirac Live LE (for Emotiva XMC-1) accommodates only one calibration at a time. Dirac Live LE also offers no PEQ either before or after calibration.
I am not talking about the LE for Emotiva. I have the DiracLive for PC and, while it can have 4 calibrations live for swapping and can access any number of stored calibrations, I do not see any way to upload REW files calibrations to any version of DL, as referred to below:

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post

Kal Rubinson
post #10 of 22 Old 04-11-17, 09:28 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
I am not talking about the LE for Emotiva. I have the DiracLive for PC and, while it can have 4 calibrations live for swapping and can access any number of stored calibrations, I do not see any way to upload REW files calibrations to any version of DL, as referred to below:
Neither do I but I am not an expert. The only thing I think of if for the house curve file which is not a calibration file. If you can tailor one with REW ( I know it is possible but I never did) then you can copy the coordinates of each point of your slope in a note pad file and copy it in a new target curve file for Dirac.