Need help getting started - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 05-10-17, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Need help getting started

I have downloaded REW into Windows 10 on my laptop. I am using a Dayton Audio EMM-6 into a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo which can take 1/4" or 3 pin balanced cable inputs to one of two channels and each channel can be selected for line level or "instrument" level. The outputs are 1/4" TRS balanced. I tried setting everything up but cannot get output from the presonus into my stereo amplifier during set level. I have tried Java and ASIO drivers. I have tried a 1/4" mono plug at the presonus right channel output going into the right channel of my preamp using a phono plug. No sound and no output at the headphone output of the presonus. When the microphone is attached and phantom power applied I see input on the REW level meter and the REW output level meter shows sound during a level check but nothing at the amp. Also when I tried the soundcard calibration process I heard the frequency sweep from my laptop speakers.

One of the things that I don't complete understand is if I need an external soundcard in my set up. The term soundcard seems to be used for more than one type of device (ex: traditional Soundblaster type device vs an audio interface box used with DAW's such as my Presonus).

I thought I was computer literate but now I am not so sure. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Last edited by GeorgeG; 05-10-17 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-10-17, 09:58 PM
Shackster

Re: Need help getting started

To make things simpler, just disable your internal computer soundcard in device manager. so when you use REW only the PreSonus input/output will get selected.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-11-17, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
kc999 wrote: View Post
To make things simpler, just disable your internal computer soundcard in device manager. so when you use REW only the PreSonus input/output will get selected.
Thanks for the suggestion. I disabled my internal sound card in device manager but unfortunately this did not solve my problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

George

post #4 of 10 Old 05-11-17, 12:36 PM
Shackster

here is the simplest setup for measuring frequency let's use right channel as example.
Presonus usb to your notebook. internal card disabled. REW started and PreSonus input/output selected.
no ASIO drivers. you measuring not recording instruments.
EMM-6 to PreSonus R ch ballanced with 48v power engaged. main volume and right ch volume mid to start with.
PreSonus R main output to R input of your AMP (not preamp). your amp source select has to match.
R output ch on amp to a speaker under test.

(optional using a reference measuring probe from PreSonus left input to right speaker connector.
done.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-11-17, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ive done everything that you suggest. The audiobox is ok in device manager. It shows up in all the drop down boxes in REW. It shows activity in the VU meter in the software during level tests. I have checked that it is the only sound device that is enabled and is the default. I just cant get anu output from the audiobox at either the line outs or the headphone jack. I even hooked up an oscilliscope at the line outs and nothing.

BTW, the presonus audiobox works fine in both directions with my recording software (DAW).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

George
post #6 of 10 Old 05-11-17, 08:10 PM
Shackster

Not sure what you are trying to do. if you just want to hear something on output then plug instrument into the input either L or R and adjust all ( 4 knobs) levels to mid including mix knob and you should hear something.

If you are trying to make a frequency measurement, you have to generate a sound/sweep into the drivers so your mike can pick it up. check 6 and 9
http://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/
post #7 of 10 Old 05-11-17, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I am trying to do in room speaker measurements. I have a mic plugged into the audiobox line level input ready to go and I need the audiobox to send frequency sweep output to the amp/speakers for measurement. I see the output VU meter in the REW software showing output when I select check levels but there is no output from the line out on the audio box. I will re-read the sections 6 and 9 and see if I missed something.

George
post #8 of 10 Old 05-11-17, 11:17 PM
Shackster

post #9 of 10 Old 05-12-17, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I started with that video but thank you. When I get in front of the system tonight I will go through everything again to see if I missed something. I brought up this audio box in my recording DAW in about 3 minutes with full recording and playback so its capable of working.

I want to make sure that I have one concept straight. In this approach using a balanced mic into a USB audio interface (Presonus Audiobox 2i) and the audio out signal from the presonus line outs to the amp/speakers - that is in effect my "soundcard". I need no enabled, internal or external Soundblaster type soundcard, just my "sound card disabled" laptop, windows 10, REW software, and my USB audio interface. Is that correct?

George

Last edited by GeorgeG; 05-12-17 at 01:16 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-12-17, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I finally have it up and running. I am not even sure which of the hundreds of combinations of settings did the trick (or maybe the reboots last night after some settings changes) but I am finally generating some speaker measurements.

Thanks for trying to help, now the real work begins.

George