Did I do it right? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 12-30-09, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Stylus

Did I do it right?

This is a measurement of my Salk Songtowers using the Radioshack analog SPL meter. Other than the FR rolling off quicker than I had hoped, and a couple bad dips, does it look like I set it up and ran it correctly? I set both the SPL meter and REW as C weighted and Slow, correct? Using the radioshack calibration file and calibrated my SC (Creative X-FI).

This is just the starter file for before I add a sub and room treatments. Want to make sure I have it working correctly to get a good base case measurement.

Did I do it right?-1st-measurement.jpg

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-30-09, 04:51 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

bigbadbill

Re: Did I do it right?

That looks about right. Have you tried measuring in a different position to see if the response changes?

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-30-09, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Stylus

Great, thanks for the quick response!

No, I haven't tried anything yet, just got it set up, took a while!
post #4 of 17 Old 12-31-09, 12:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Yep. That looks like you've got things working. If it's an option try moving the speakers or the listening position a little. It can make a big difference.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-31-09, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Stylus

Here is my first attempt and tweaking speaker placement. I moved everything approximately 1' back towards the front wall. Looks like it improved the low end quite a bit, but increased the null at ~300Hz. I still need to check how this affected imaging and notice of reflections since I thought both were very good at the previous location.

Green line is the new measurement compared to my one from yesterday. Is there a way to do the compare graph with the target line?

Did I do it right?-2nd-measurement.jpg
post #6 of 17 Old 12-31-09, 01:24 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Stylus wrote: View Post
Here is my first attempt and tweaking speaker placement. I moved everything approximately 1' back towards the front wall. Looks like it improved the low end quite a bit, but increased the null at ~300Hz. I still need to check how this affected imaging and notice of reflections since I thought both were very good at the previous location.

Green line is the new measurement compared to my one from yesterday. Is there a way to do the compare graph with the target line?

Attachment 18324
I suggest you get the placements set and then work on the big dips. That should be enough to give you good sound.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-31-09, 02:32 PM
Shackster
Wackii

Quote:
Stylus wrote: View Post
This is a measurement of my Salk Songtowers using the Radioshack analog SPL meter. Other than the FR rolling off quicker than I had hoped, and a couple bad dips, does it look like I set it up and ran it correctly? I set both the SPL meter and REW as C weighted and Slow, correct? Using the radioshack calibration file and calibrated my SC (Creative X-FI).

This is just the starter file for before I add a sub and room treatments. Want to make sure I have it working correctly to get a good base case measurement.

Attachment 18315

Thanks!
Hi Stylus, I've just got the Creative X-FI sound card too. I'm just curious as how you calibrated your sound card. For me, I have to crank up the volume of the input and output really high in order to calibrate it. Can you post the setting of how you did it on yours?

Thanks,

Al,
post #8 of 17 Old 12-31-09, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Stylus

Here you go...

Did I do it right?-rew-settings1.jpg

Did I do it right?-rew-settings2.jpg

Last edited by Stylus; 12-31-09 at 06:35 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-31-09, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Stylus

Can someone explain what I am looking at here. I have no idea how to read these or what they are telling me.

Thanks!

Did I do it right?-1st-waterfall.jpg
post #10 of 17 Old 12-31-09, 09:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

Your graph would be easier to read and interpret if you had followed the advice to use a logarithmic scale rather than a linear scale for the frequency axis. You change the scale by pushing the Freq Axis button at the upper right. As it happens, there is a bug that the frequency axis of the waterfall chart gets truncated on the right when the scale is linear.

To understand what you might be seeing, you could try reading the thread on waterfall charts. In your chart, you seem to have a lot of frequencies that decay beyond 300ms. It may be easier to see what is important when you display it with a log scale, but increasing the time scale a little, to say 500ms, might also help show what is really happening.

Bill