Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Feedback loop! what am i doing wrong?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  equabilestudios 
#1 ·
i just recently got finished building bass traps, and i want to see my before and after. REW looks like some awesome software, but i think my troubles are in the vista sound mixer. i am only familiar with windows 98 se and XP volume control because i have since upgraded to pro tools, and i have no use for an onboard sound card, i instead run everything via firewire.

after reading and reading, search after search. im at a loss here. how do i set up REW? how do i opt to not monitor my line input to stop this terrible feedback?

#3 ·
Re: AAAHHHH!! feedback loop! what am i doing wrong?

this is my first post so if i could i would attach a photo. but no it doesn't. vista has a completely different volume control. and thats the problem. i used to understand it completely when i was recording with cooledit, but i have since forgot. i can't use my external gear without more work than is needed. so thats my goal is to use the on board card.

here is my basic setup.

SPL meter
right side of line in
right side of line out
then to my amp and speakers.

so its set up to have a feed back loop unless i can not monitor the line in.
it has to go into REW but not to my speakers right?
and when i hookup the "optional loopback connection, it just gets worse.

#6 ·
Re: AAAHHHH!! feedback loop! what am i doing wrong?

Main thing is to make sure the Line In is muted in the playback mixer, that is the cause of feedback with most on-board cards. With an external card there may be additional controls in the mixer software that comes with the card, but still worth checking the playback mixer to make sure Line In is muted and look for Advanced Options on the playback properties. You can see examples of the Vista soundcard settings panels in this post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.