Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Help calibrating external/enternal spl meter

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  mdelhaj 
#1 ·
Hello guys
For some unkown reason iam having a mismatched reading result when iam calibrating my external spl meter against the internal one in Rew...for example if the reading on my external spl meter is 70db the enternal in rew would read 80db , and everytime i restart Rew i get different result, though the volume and wave control and line in are at the same level untouched...i have tested my spl meter playing the reference test tone in my pioneer lx82 avr. which is (0) and the read on my spl meter is 75db so i guess the spl meter it should be fine....any idea??

Thank you!

#2 ·
I would double check all of your sound controls (assuming you have not already) other software running on your system may alter them. I would also go through all of the controls for the sounds card through the Control Panel as you may find controls that are not exposed through other user software.

It would be helpful to include the OS and Soundcard you are using for folks to comment as they may have experience specific experience to your situation.

#3 ·
The soundcard iam using is: HDX XPLOSION 7.1 DTS CONNECT ,only drivers installed on windows xp pro Desktop pc , i have also onboard soundcard and i have tried it , it was all the same....i been through all the seting for the soundcard and OS everything looks fine , i have also tried to disable the onboard soundcard....
Thanks

#4 ·
Did you manage to get a successful soundcard loopback calibration done? If not, focus on that first as it will make sure all the settings are correct, no point trying to calibrate levels if (for example) REW is not actually seeing the input your mic or meter is connected to.

#7 · (Edited)
yes john , and i have just re-checked everything...and as i said earlier the meter in rew is reacting to the external meter as i turn up and down the volume , but to get a 75db reading in the internal meter in rew , that mean the reading on my spl is shoudn,t be morethan 65db , and if i get the my spl meter to read 75db ,than the internal meter in rew will read 85db...

#9 ·
Thise's exactly where is my problem! everytime when i want to calibrate my spl meter to match the enternal meter in rew ,when i play the calibration signal tone and i get my spl meter to read 75db , at that point the internal meter in rew will be reading 85db.
sorry for being keeping you bussy with me john. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.