Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

REW V5 Tips

Tags
tips
132K views 113 replies 52 participants last post by  PUREPURE 
#1 ·
I thought a few tips on REW V5 might be in order, I'll start with some people may not have come across. Feel free to add any tips of your own.

• Measurement (.mdat) files can be opened by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Impulse response (.wav or .aiff) files can be imported by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Filter set (.req) files can be opened by dragging them onto the EQ window
  • Move between measurements with Alt+UP and Alt+DOWN, go directly to a specific measurement with ALT+1 or 2 or 3…9
  • Move between graphs with Ctrl+LEFT and Ctrl+RIGHT, go directly to a specific graph with Ctrl+1 or 2 or 3…9
  • Hover over the name of a measurement in the overlay panel to bring up a tool tip showing the measurement notes
  • Move the cursor over the name of a trace to highlight that trace in the graph
  • If a measurement has been modified its name is shown in blue on the measurements panel
  • Use Ctrl+Shift+3 to apply 1/3rd octave smoothing, repeat to remove the smoothing
  • Use the Restore Last Removed entry in the file menu to recover a measurement that was removed by mistake
  • Right click in the overlay window legend area to bring up a menu that allows clearing or setting all trace selections
  • Under Windows or OS X double-clicking on an mdat file opens REW and loads the file
  • There are keyboard shortcuts for most things

See less See more
#7 ·
EQ affects the rates of decay as well as the level, the predicted waterfall on the EQ panel shows how the current measurement would look with EQ applied - there is an example of before and after in the screenshots on the REW page.

#10 ·
not to mention the mouse-wheel scrolling option to zoom in on out-of scene measurement areas.
I do anlaysis from 20Hz to 16KHz, and the normal window gives me to 200Hz. BUT if you scroll into the end you find you can open the entire spectrum.... THIS IS AWESOME AND MUST BE TOLD !
(I just discovered by fiddling).
Incredible Design, John, thanx....

#14 ·
MAN! That is so cool. Sure glad you posted this. I have two ECM8000 and two EMM6. I use a Blue Icicle or MXL Mic Mate to connect to USB.

When I read this, I had to experiment a little. Neither model have had the "HTS Official Calibration Curve" run. I used a pair of Koss R80 Headphones to play with. Placing the mic's between the cushions and gently holding them in place, I ran a number of 30-20,000 curves. The response between all 4 mic's was almost identical from 30 to 3,000hz. After that there were variations , but averaging the high end showed they were not too far off. Minor variations can show up just by how you hold the cushions and the exact placement of mic each time a curve is run. I'm going to do some free field speaker test's when time permits, but it was sooo neat I can't get over it. All my thanks to everyone who had anything to do with developing the REW.

I'm 70 yrs old and it makes me feel like a youngster when I was a Lab Tech at American Microphone Co.

Best to All, Uncle Tom (tomegun) :eek:lddude: :clap:

#17 ·
Guys, I am just getting ready to start using the REW..One thing I can't understand, at what level do you set the Volume Master on your preamp/ processor when you run the REW. I did quite a bit of reading but it seems I can't find the answer to this question...
Thanks...

#19 ·
John,

I just bought a Berhringer FBQ2496 and am investigating it's many features with my 10 yr old laptop and my vintage RS 33-2050. I have also downloaded you REW. While my budget recovers from my afore mentioned purchase, I am looking at purchasing a USB sound card and USB/midi iinterface. Recently the Tascam
US-122MKII came into view. It has midi out & in and I wondered if this would replace the USB/midi adapter required for REW? With it's phantom powered XLR mic inputs, it would supply the entire suite of componnets
when I buy a calibrated mic.

Your REW is fantastic, by the way!!!

terrydeal

#21 ·
John,

I recently purchased a Berhringer FBQ2496 after downloading REW. I have been using a ten yr old laptop and a
vintage RS 33-2050 to explore my system. When my budget recovers, I will buy a USB sound card and a USB/midi adapter. Recently, I have noticed a Tascam US-122MKII. It is an elaborate device with USB sound card capabilities plus, midi in & out and XLR mic inputs with phantom power. Would this device replace the USB/midi interface? It would surely replace a seperate mic/phantom power device when I can buy a calibrated mic.

Also, try as I may I cannot create the test tone CD mentionned else where in this site.

Thank you for REW!!! It promises to solve most sub woofer problems.

terrydeal

My system (all home designed & built) :

a pair of three-ways, 2-5 1/2 woofers, 2 dome mids & dome tweeter arranged symetricaly around tweeters.

a pair of RS 18s in 5 cu ft boxes.

an ONKYO 555

a SoundTech A-300 amp driven by an ESP project 71, a Linkwitz Transform Circuit.

#27 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am one of those guys that hate doing the same manual work many times and right now I am annoyed that my long post was lost because when I posted my long post it contained a link which incidentally is illegal for the first five posts here!?

Anyway, enough ranting.

Because of the same reason that I hate doing boring things many times over, I created a little utility that basically takes REW EQ Filter files and converts them into a usable preset file for some VST EQ Plugins.
The reason is that for my little music production studio I needed to correct the room acoustics for mixing purposes.
So I needed to do something like this chap:
[Room Correction with Plugin and Measurement by DozerBeatz]

The current support is ReaEQ which is a free VST Plugin and FabFilter Pro-Q which is a commercial one.

The utility is a simple Windows tool called REWEQ2EQPreset and can be found here:
https://github.com/perivar/Code/downloads

Hopefully useful for more people than I.

Cheers,
Per Ivar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.