Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

REW V5 Tips

Tags
tips
132K views 113 replies 52 participants last post by  PUREPURE 
#1 ·
I thought a few tips on REW V5 might be in order, I'll start with some people may not have come across. Feel free to add any tips of your own.

• Measurement (.mdat) files can be opened by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Impulse response (.wav or .aiff) files can be imported by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Filter set (.req) files can be opened by dragging them onto the EQ window
  • Move between measurements with Alt+UP and Alt+DOWN, go directly to a specific measurement with ALT+1 or 2 or 3…9
  • Move between graphs with Ctrl+LEFT and Ctrl+RIGHT, go directly to a specific graph with Ctrl+1 or 2 or 3…9
  • Hover over the name of a measurement in the overlay panel to bring up a tool tip showing the measurement notes
  • Move the cursor over the name of a trace to highlight that trace in the graph
  • If a measurement has been modified its name is shown in blue on the measurements panel
  • Use Ctrl+Shift+3 to apply 1/3rd octave smoothing, repeat to remove the smoothing
  • Use the Restore Last Removed entry in the file menu to recover a measurement that was removed by mistake
  • Right click in the overlay window legend area to bring up a menu that allows clearing or setting all trace selections
  • Under Windows or OS X double-clicking on an mdat file opens REW and loads the file
  • There are keyboard shortcuts for most things

See less See more
#30 ·
Strange.
If you click and drag a equaliser filter format (exported as a text file), a preset file should be created in the same directory as where you clicked and dragged the file from, but with the extension *.ffp or *.fxp dependent on what plugin you chose. You copy that file to where the plugin stores it's preset files and you should be good to go.
Try to run the app as "Administrator" if it still doesn't work. (For Win7 and Vista I think).
If you still have problems, send me the equaliser filer text file and I will try to find out what's wrong.
Cheers,
Per Ivar

#32 ·
I just tried the REW EQ to VST EQ and same thing happens, where it does nothing. I tried to 'run as administrator', and when I drag the file over to the program, I get a "DO NOT" sign (circular with a line through it).

I'm running it on a Windows 7 64-bit VM. Does it need to be 32 bit?

#36 ·
Hello, great! I was looking to create an utility like that and you did it :)

I'm having the same problem, when dragging nothing happens.

I have opened the project in Visual Studio and there are 2 missing files: AudioVSTToolbox\CommonUtils\BinaryFile.cs and AudioVSTToolbox\CommonUtils\FXP.cs

I removed them from project to see what happens and, of course, it says they are missing. But it seems another one is missing: 'CommonUtils' namespace could not be found.

#37 ·
#40 · (Edited)
New edit after more investigations.

I think I have found something (at least it works for me). Perhaps it's the REW export format (mine is 5.01 from txt file) that is different and the regex in REWEQ.cs doesn't work.

You can try in REWEQ.cs:
line 13:
private static Regex digitsAndCommasOnly = new Regex(@"[^\d.]");
line 34:
regexpPattern = @"^Filter\s+\d+:\s(\w+)\s+(\w+)\s+Fc\s+([\D\d.]+) Hz Gain\s+([\d.-]+) dB Q\s+([\d.]+)$";
It works under Windows XP but, not under Windows 8. Perhaps a problem related to OS culture (so, it could work for you) with Double.Parse() in .NET. I have sent a PM to perivar.

Maybe REW exports txt files depending on your OS culture. That's why some have "," and others have "."?

Edit (again): I have tested in another Windows 8 and it works. FYI, the problem seems to be in Double.Parse(), Double.TryParse() returns False and 0 and crash. Convert.ToDouble() same crash. The problem seems to be somewhere in .NET
In conclusion, if the regex is correct and it doesn't work, try in another installation of Windows XP/7/8

#41 ·
Hi Sikus, You were right!

I have not considered the fact that the REW output file uses the current regional locale for it's decimal separator. Now the tool is updated and should work better.
I will upload the tool somewhere later tonight (gitub has disabled hosting executables).

Per Ivar

#46 ·
One thing I've come across is that upon initial measurement it gives me the signal too low at -90.3 db over and over again no matter how much I boost reference mic input or master volume. This of course after setting soundcard preferences to match my setup and checking to make sure the speakers (rather than subwoofer) was selected. "Check levels"...level is low -129.4. It isn't low I'm sure, it doesn't seem to be responding to the dbx reference mic set at the listener position.

#47 ·
One thing I've come across is that upon initial measurement it gives me the signal too low at -90.3 db over and over again no matter how much I boost reference mic input or master volume.
That indicates REW isn't getting a signal to measure. Could be that in the soundcard preferences REW has been told to use the other channel, or you are on a Mac and using a Firewire or multichannel USB card (in which case you need to check the sticky thread on getting around Java problems on OS X), or a wiring problem etc. In any event best starting a separate thread and including information about your setup rather than posting in the REW tips thread, I'll remove the posts from this thread in due course.

#50 ·
Hi Guys.
I am new here so please excuse me if this tip was mentioned in a different thread (but thread with tips for REW is here). Please also excuse my english :)

My tip is for quick calibration of the SPL in REW with digital multimeter and microphone with known sensitivity in V/Pa (and cable of course). Calibration enables you to measure characteristics in absolute values and for example measure the loudspeakers distortion acording to SPL...

1) Run REW generator, set frequency 100 Hz (area where almost each digital multimeter has maximum accuracy), level as desired and mic gain as desired
2) Measure the voltage level at the output (or input of the microphone)
3) Calculate the SPL corresponding to measured voltage as follows:
Equivavelnt SPL = 20*log(Voltage measured/mic sensitivity) + 94 dB

example:
SPL = 20*log(1.6 Volts / 0.010 V/Pa) + 94 dB = 138 dB

4) set the generator to 1 kHz (frequency where all curves are overlaping) and keep it runing
5) run the SPL meter and start calibration, chose "use the external signal"
6) into the field for SPL readout type the calculated level, e.g. 138 dB and confirm finish

Now you can measure in absolute values, because this calibration is used for all the measurements!

PS: I have noticed that digital level in dBFS are different in some application even if the electrical level is the same (asio and java drivers give the same values)....

#51 ·
I have been using Holmimpulse in the past and just got REW a few days ago. Wow! What an amazing program! The setup was flawless and very easy - I got from install to measurements with a UMM-6 mic literally in minutes. I am starting to work on getting CSD plots and decay data but not sure how to setup the parameters to enable a good measurement as I seem to be measuring the room decay of several hundred milliseconds. How do I set the gating to enable looking at just stuff before 3 to 5 milliseconds? Sorry if this question has already been covered elsewhere.
Thanks,
xrk971

#54 ·
I am starting to work on getting CSD plots and decay data but not sure how to setup the parameters to enable a good measurement as I seem to be measuring the room decay of several hundred milliseconds. How do I set the gating to enable looking at just stuff before 3 to 5 milliseconds?
Show the controls for the waterfall graph by clicking the gear icon at the top right of the graph, then set the Time Range, Window and Rise Time to suit the range you are interested in - e.g. 10 ms for time range and window and 1 ms for rise time are reasonable starting points if looking at driver behaviour.

#52 ·
Hi xrk!
Try the IR windows icon (on the top between info and SPL meter). You can also change the default window lengths (and also Analysis dafaults) under Preferences - Analysis. There you can set up your favorite setup (window type and length, smoothing and many more)!

Enjoy :)

#56 ·
Sorry for my misunderstanding, JohnM was right :). Regarding the measurement distance - If you want to measure the whole loudspeaker, you should be in the "free field", which is further than the biggest dimension of the baffle (typically the diagonal)...
But for special purposes, as analysing the speaker at particular point, you can be closer.

PS: the CSD Mode tick in the "Graph control" can be handy, but I belive that you have spotted that already.

#60 ·
Hello , i,m also new here and hope i,m not asking for help in the wrong forum, i do apologize if thats so .
I have a Anthem D2v 3D running with the Arc room correction and 2 Danley DTS,10s connect to the Anthem via xls and then fed to 2 Behringer EP 4000 amps ,sounds good in music and movies.Arc does try to get the curve flat for the 2 subs but there is a big dip at around 45 Hz and it is this i would like to correct.
I have a new DSP 1124P ,a M audio midisport,and a Galaxy CM-140 and a HiTeC X-Mystique 7.1 Gold sound card. Never tried to get these in the chain .
There is so much information to read up on that it is a bit confusing at times ,i am no expert and would like to know the easiest way to let Rew trim my 2 subs to sound even better.
I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some advise.
Thanks so much .:help:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.