Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

REW V5 Tips

Tags
tips
132K views 113 replies 52 participants last post by  PUREPURE 
#1 ·
I thought a few tips on REW V5 might be in order, I'll start with some people may not have come across. Feel free to add any tips of your own.

• Measurement (.mdat) files can be opened by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Impulse response (.wav or .aiff) files can be imported by dragging them onto the REW window
  • Filter set (.req) files can be opened by dragging them onto the EQ window
  • Move between measurements with Alt+UP and Alt+DOWN, go directly to a specific measurement with ALT+1 or 2 or 3…9
  • Move between graphs with Ctrl+LEFT and Ctrl+RIGHT, go directly to a specific graph with Ctrl+1 or 2 or 3…9
  • Hover over the name of a measurement in the overlay panel to bring up a tool tip showing the measurement notes
  • Move the cursor over the name of a trace to highlight that trace in the graph
  • If a measurement has been modified its name is shown in blue on the measurements panel
  • Use Ctrl+Shift+3 to apply 1/3rd octave smoothing, repeat to remove the smoothing
  • Use the Restore Last Removed entry in the file menu to recover a measurement that was removed by mistake
  • Right click in the overlay window legend area to bring up a menu that allows clearing or setting all trace selections
  • Under Windows or OS X double-clicking on an mdat file opens REW and loads the file
  • There are keyboard shortcuts for most things

See less See more
#66 ·
Hello, I just got my Umik-1 Mic. I have two subs connected to two subouts and have been setup with Audyssey XT32/SubEQHT already. I would like to see the response of each sub as well as the two combined. I have never used REW before and I noticed that it does not seem to have selections for sub channel 1,2 and combined so what is the best way to do what I want to do? Thanks.

#68 ·
Thanks John, I am using a 25' HDMI cable to connect the AVP. I was also guessing the way to do it is to turn one off at a time and then leave both on when doing the sweep. I just want to be sure if there isn't a proper or better way to do it. I am going to do just that and seee what it works.

#69 ·
Is there a way to use the 7 channel stereo mode to plot the overall response of all 7.2 channels so I can see when the low frequencies overlap among all speakers including the subwoofers? I am using HDMI output with the Umik-1. When I tried outputing say the front left channel, I would get the SL and SBL but not the right side speakers so the AVP is only downmixing one side. If I use RCA inputs I am sure I can just use a Y-cord but I don't know how to do it with HDMI. I just wonder if REW has a built in downmix feature.

#70 ·
There is no downmix feature (REW is just controlling the channel selection, not doing any processing of the signal). You can output the signal on a second channel by selecting it as the timing reference output if you are using ASIO drivers.

#75 ·
The graph font size can be increased in the View preferences (REW must be restarted to apply any changes to the font size). I suspect you have REW full screen and so your graph is being scaled down a lot, an alternative is to resize the REW window so the graph is closer to the size you want and doesn't need as much scaling.

#77 ·
Hello John, are those "distortion" figures" accurate? I know they are at the mercy of the mic, sound cards, and the AVP, AVR etc., but are they other than those external factors, how accurate are the THDs shown by clicking the distortion tab? On thing I noticed was that they didn't seem consistent. Repeating "measure" would yield different THD figures, somethings consistently high, other times low.

#79 ·
Hello John, are those "distortion" figures" accurate?
Yes
Repeating "measure" would yield different THD figures, somethings consistently high, other times low.
If successive measurements don't give repeatable results something is wrong with the measurement setup, which you should track down. Better starting a separate thread for that.

#84 ·
I thought a few tips on REW V5 might be in order, I'll start with some people may not have come across. Feel free to add any tips of your own.
<SNIP>
  • Move between measurements with Alt+UP and Alt+DOWN, go directly to a specific measurement with ALT+1 or 2 or 3…9
  • Move between graphs with Ctrl+LEFT and Ctrl+RIGHT, go directly to a specific graph with Ctrl+1 or 2 or 3…9
<SNIP>
Hi John, you're REW tool is the greatest, man!!! How do you keep up? :TT

I had some trouble getting either of the above very desirable features to work. Are they only active from a certain window or part of the screen? TIA

#85 ·
The shortcut keys can be a bit temperamental sometimes, they seem to get swallowed by the OS on occasion for no obvious reason, and some are used by the OS for other things - for example, on OS X the ctrl+left/right keys are used to switch workspaces so they never get to REW. They usually work though, at least on Windows and OS X with the latest REW beta (I don't have an original V5 install to try right now).

#86 ·
Hello John
Can you kindly tell the difference between Umik-1 + Rew and Omnimic v2.

I have been through all the trouble of Having external sound card + MIc Preamp+Amplifier + MIc and had only light success.

What ever I have read till now makes the combination of Rew and Umik-1 too good to believe.

I have Omnimic in parts express Cart but have not yet purchased just bcos this reason.

#91 ·
Hello John, I have not used REW for a while and forgotten something. I am using a Umik Mic and have a cal file. Do I use the same cal. file on the soundcard tab? It let me use the same file on both the soundcard and the Mic/Meter tabs but leaving the soundcard page blank yielded slightly different frequency response in the high frequencies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.