First graph - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 5 Old 03-23-07, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
First graph

I just got a BFD last night, and did some tests using the ECM-8000, I'll be able to play a lot more tonight and during the weekend (I only slept 4 hours because I could not refrain from "playing" a bit with what I could get).

I had been using the eq on the receiver before getting the BFD, and I only used one -6 db @ 40 Hz since that is my highest peak. I removed that before modifying anything again since my HD-A1 is connected via the analog inputs (I am not using HDMI since my TV is a Loewe Aconda set with only component inputs, and the HD-A1 does not support component video + HDMI audio) and I didn't want my other sources to have an extra filter there.

Here is my unfiltered response from my primary listening position.

First graph-original.jpg

It is slightly different from measurements I made about a month ago, but since I started late at night I didn't bother much fiddling with it, I was indeed impatient to try it.

After several filters (I think it was seven of them, I believed the mdat file saved the filter values and I didn't the paper where I wrote them to the office) and a raise in the sub volume I ended with the following graph:

First graph-result.jpg

But I wanted to see how much could be done and although I've read here it is a no-no, I did add some boosts to the mix and got the next graph. If I remember correctly they are:

20 Hz +4 Q10
55 Hz +8 Q10

First graph-gain.jpg

I believe I can do a better job with more time, what do you guys recommend?

Last edited by Snatcher; 03-23-07 at 08:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 03-23-07, 10:55 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: First graph

Looks good. Further tweaking might get a better “looking” graph, but you probably won’t hear much difference.

post #3 of 5 Old 03-24-07, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Wayne I understand what you mean, tweaking it to look better won't get me any difference in sound.

But I went ahead and redid the thing and it turned out to be for my benefit since I had been entering the data in the wrong way to the BFD due to my hastiness. I didn't set REW to display the EQ values for the BFD 1124p, I had it as "Generic Equalizer" and I simply assumed the Q was the value to enter under bandwidth. I was taking some measurements and noticed my foolish mistake, redid the whole thing and ended like this with no boosts:

First graph-final.jpg

I am way happier now and I was deeply impressed t how precise REW predictions are on the effect of filters. Now, to listen to some music and find out how I like it. Suggestions are more than welcome.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-27-07, 11:42 AM
Senior Shackster

Hey Snatcher,

How's the listening tests going after BFD/REW tweaks?

I'm in the process of calibrating right now and wonder how you like the difference in sound.

Dali Mentor 8's/Mentor Vokal/Euphonia Phantom 5.1; Seaton Sound SubMersive ; Sherbourn 7/2100A bridged 3 channels for 400+ watts to L/C/R & Onkyo 875 pre-pro & surround amp = Audio Nirvana!
Planar 7060 until JVC gets lasers figured out...
post #5 of 5 Old 03-27-07, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

They went great Phil, thanks for asking. I must say that I can listen to a lot of detail that I didn't was there, and I also can raise the volume a lot more. Since I had that huge peak at 30-40Hz I was used to a very different experience. I played mostly music on Saturday, and when doing A-B comparisons with the BFD in bypass and with the filters on, teh difference was very noticeable.

I did have to explain to my girlfriend and a friend what the difference was about and allow them to listen to several tracks, but it was very obvious there was a difference. They could hear that with the BFD Off, there was more volume but in a bad way. And they did appreciate the higher detail revealed when the BFD was on.

Then, my friend asked me to test a movie. I selected Innocence (Ghost in the Shell 2) on Blu-ray and I was amazed. The experience was new again and I could feel the emotion, I must say I was really happy with the results. I also had to change teh Phase after using the BFD. Apparently my peaks were in phase before hand, and after removing them I had to invert the phase and got an even better integration.

Of course I listened to a bunch of HD-DVDs after that, including the NiN concert, Superman and V for Vendetta and was equally amazed by the great sound.

But I was more impressed when listening to the Pink panther Theme on SACD, the detail was very rich and integrated. I don't know how to describe it.

There are still some doubts there, like how "hot" I'd like to run teh sub over the mains, right now I have it running 3 db hot.

I also tweaked a bit the response when integrating it with the mains, I don't know if this is right or not.. I am experimenting. I want to ask a few questions heer after I do some graphs regarding that.. but mainly it is about having a more even response just before the crossover point when testing with the mains and sub. I have some bumps at 80 Hz and 100 Hz, is it recommended to "flatten" those to a more even curve when both are on?

I'd like you guys to give me your opinion in this matter, I will post the graphs of the situation tonight so I can explain the situation better. Thansk a lot, I really love the results and am learning a lot from you guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page