Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

First Use MOTU 24IO

Tags
24io motu
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  David_A 
#1 ·
I am a new user and am having trouble with setup and calibration of REW. I have a WinXP system with a MOTU 24IO. A card that I have been very happy with for several years. So Far I have two problems:

1. The calibration of the soundcard.
The instructions say to adjust the input so that the input is within 6 db of the output. I can get all or nothing. I have to use the CueMix console for a mixer for this and it has 0.1 db resolution on the input faders. If I am very careful adjusting the input fader I can get it to slowly decay to the background noise level. Then bumping it up slightly I can get it to slowly increase to some value in the -1.1 to -3.1 db level on the calibration meters. Any suggestions. I suppose I could use a mixer in between to control this, but I would rather not introduce a new level of coloration.

2. Setting levels.
When I try to set levels using the Radio Shack dB meter, I get a breif burst of pink noise and then silence. In order to get any sound output again I have to close and restart REW.

The preferences interface does not allow me to select specifically the input channel, but I can sing and get a level to show on the REW meter. So I know it is connected and getting to the program.

Any suggestions short of getting a different sound card would be helpful

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

- You should be able to keep all the faders on CueMix off and still see input registering on REWs meters .

(1) From your description it appears that you have created a feedback loop in your "CueMix" software mixer .
- You definitely don't want to route the test mic ( say it's input 1 ) back into itself ( either directly, or mixed with REWs outputted test signal ) / you'll just create an unstable runaway signal ( just like you've described ) .

(2) I suspect that you're needing to restart REW due to signal overload problems which you've created with CueMix / as mentioned above .

<> cheers

ps ; Since you're using a RS SPL meter, why not start simple ?
- Get an appropriate adapter RCA to 1/8" stereo mini / plug it into your computers 1/8" mini input / ( turn-off "pass-through" monitoring in the sound control panel ) and then use the computers internal soundcard .

#3 ·
Thanks Earl:

It does seem like it is creating a loop. I am looking on the Motu site to see how to turn that off. It has been a while since I really worked with cuemix of the Motu interface. I do most of my stuff through sonar at this point. I'll let you know how that works out.

As to using the 1/8" input being simple, I have disabled the on-board sound card at the bios. I would have to enable the card, let plug and pray do it's thing, maybe find the driver disk or download a new driver to a flash drive (this machine is used for pro audio only and does not have a network card), and then turn off pass-through monitoring. At that point, I would have to find a cable which would reach to where I want to place the SPL. Then I would have to reverse the process to get my machine back to normal. I would much rather just plug the SPL into my patchbay and get the Motu to work. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm sure that would be easier for a lot of folks. I hope I dont have to go through that.

KUDO's on the program. It looks cool so far. I just have to get it to work.

Thanks again, I'll let you know after I get a chance to work on it.

David_A

#4 ·
Hi Earl:

I managed to get some results from this on-board sound card. It is an Analog Devices product and sounds pretty good. I will play with that some when I get a chance. I would still prefer to get this working with the MOTU. I managed to get a reading from the Motu using the Java Audio output setting. The results I got appeared to show feedback also. I am working with MOTU to try to resolve this. Thanks again for the help so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.