Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Bad ECM-8000 or Bad Xenyx 802 ?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  EarlK 
#1 ·
Hello REW-ers,

I am using the "standard setup" with ECM8000 mike and Xenyx 802 mixer and DCA202 USB Audio.

I hadn't used the equipment in a while and when I tried to use the system this weekend I had a lot of noise making the system useless for measuring.

Thru elimimation I am down to the ECM or the XENYX being the issue ( I am using headphones on the monitor out) and have disconnected the DCA202. I also have the mike directly plugged into the Xenyx (no Mic Cable).

The noise is present as soon as I plug in the mike and it is there for both Mic Inputs. When I turn the volumes the noise does go up and down and when I turn off the 48V the noise will slowly fade away..

Do ECM 8000s go bad ?

Anyone seen this before ?

Any ideas for additional tests or diagnostics ?

Thanks,
Nico

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi,

FYI, condenser mics ( like the ECM8000 ) are fragile enough that if you drop them often ( & hard enough ) then something inside them, is bound to fail .

FWIW, the description of your specific symptoms sounds like something in the preamp section of the mic has gone bad ( the fadeout of the noise upon the removal of phantom power / is the clue I've presently focused/fixated on ) .

- If you determine that mic is bad / I doubt that it's worth paying someone to fix it // just order an already calibrated model from this sites recommended mic supplier ( Cross-Spectrum Labs ) .

The mixer itself can be tested by plugging in other sources like a CD player into the mic channels ( & monitoring those channels with your headphones ) . Of course, you'll need to buy or make some appropriate adapters .

A google search for something like Fragile ECM8000 might be helpful .

If the mic model has garnered any notoriety for premature failure / then a search should reveal this .

<> cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.