Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Mac OS X, Emm-6 mic, and ART Usb Dual Preamp setup

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mechman 
#1 ·
Managed to get this combination of hardware working in REW, and wanted to explain my steps

** Calibrating the Art Usb as a "Soundcard":
The "ART USB dual pre" (herein ART) was set as an input AND output device following the "REW and OS X" instructions on hometheater shack

On the ART, I turned the mixer to "Computer", and verified the sound coming from OS-X was outputting on the left "monitor output" on the ART the "headphone output". Did this by playing a song via itunes through a headphone connected to the headphone outputs and turning the volume slowly up on the ART.

Followed the instructions in the REW manual to get the soundcard measurements. Specifically, I took a 1/4 inch phono cord and looped it. It went from the left "monitor output" on the Art box to the left mic input. I accidentally left the phantom power on and it didn't blow up. Without phantom power, the measurement is about the same.

** Inputting the MIC calibration file

Then, in REW preferences, I went into the "Mic" panel and inputted the file downloaded at the Datyon site. No problems.

** Measuring speakers

I managed to do some initial testing and equalization that made the speaker sound much better :T .

Once I figure out how to do this part correctly, I'll post the results. What I did temporarily is cut a few corners. :nono: I turned the ART mixer back to the "Preamp" side away from the "Computer" and used the Os-X mac's built in soundcard for output, by going back to "Audio MIDI setup" and setting the default output to the internal output on the mac. Then I used the internal output to drive the speaker. This defeats some of the utility of calibrating the ART, although helps because it still calibrates the preamp input function.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.