readings after room treatments - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 05-28-07, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
James

readings after room treatments

I added room treatments to my room and have finally been able to break out REW with my BFD. I had always had a big dip around 60 HZ. Just as a test I ended up laying my Sonosub over on its side. I was very pleased how the readings were after this so I had left it that way. Below is a measurement before and after filters. I only added one increase filter around the 63HZ area, all others were cuts.
Attached Thumbnails
readings after room treatments-sub-over-80-cut-may27.jpg  

readings after room treatments-after-filers-may27.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-28-07, 09:27 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Re: readings after room treatments

Can't get much better than that.

Doesn't look like it's giving up even at 15Hz.

A sonotub on its side must take up quite a bit of room....

brucek
post #3 of 8 Old 05-28-07, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
James

It's actually kind of funny with it on its side. When I was building the room treatments, it was suggested to bring my couch forward. So I did that and added the treatments, placed the sub next to one and it seemed like I had allot of space behind the couch but with one corner very filled. Now since I laid it over I still have a lot of space but no big sub sitting there. Below it what it looked like before moving the couch and laying over the sub (very crowded).
Attached Thumbnails
readings after room treatments-2nd-tower.jpg  

post #4 of 8 Old 05-28-07, 11:53 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
exojam wrote: View Post

It looks like your equalizing lowered your overall level down to the target curve. If so, it was mostly wasted equalizing, because your raw response basically tracked the target curve to begin with. All you really needed to do was hit 24 Hz and maybe minor adjustments in a few other places.

The equalizer should not be used as a level-adjusting device.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #5 of 8 Old 05-28-07, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
James

Wayne,

That is exactly what I did. When I hook everything back up I will go back and readjust.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-30-07, 10:21 AM
Shackster

Wade

James,

Since it is tempting to make the measured response (purple line) match the target (blue line), I recommend that before you start adding filters you move your target level line upward until it matches your measured response fairly well. When you have the main REW screen active on your computer - look just to the left of the graph. You will see a column of blue lettered headings and one of them will be "Target Settings". If you expand this heading by clicking on the button icon to the right of the word "settings" you will see a list of choices. The fourth choice down will be called "Target Level". Using the up and down arrow buttons next to the "target level" number, you can adjust the target level (blue line on your graph) up or down. The blue line will move as you click on the arrows. When it matches your measured room response well - you are set. Now just use your filters to make the minor adjustments Wayne describes.

Wade

post #7 of 8 Old 06-01-07, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
James

OK, I made some more measurements and changed my filters. I ended up with two cuts and one boost. The first graph is my final run with the filters. The second two are from when I moved the SPL meter just to see what I would get. Is it normal this kind of difference? I assume it is but thought I would ask.
Attached Thumbnails
readings after room treatments-after-three.jpg  

readings after room treatments-moved-new-location.jpg  

readings after room treatments-moved-3rd.jpg  

post #8 of 8 Old 06-01-07, 10:02 PM
Shackster
John

While many of the respondents have it down better than I, it is no surprise to me that moving the meter location made a big difference in your curve. The toughest part about eq is it is typically done to optimize one listening position. Multiple listenting positions results in a gazillion tradeoffs in most cases.

I cannot approach your results at my listening position with high quality dual subs in spouse acceptable locations. I have some nulls that just will not go away. I recently started trying to optimize across my front row positions, geez it gets gnarly fast...can't wait for a few days of vacation to burn...

As has been said elsewhere, just a few inches in mic location changes response quite a bit (gosh, and we have two ears, not one!). Response differences based on my seat recliner position are significant as well, but when you then look at optimizing 4 front row seats with 3 alternate position possibilities, it's absurd.

Aside from room treatments and REW, I've use CARA to assist in positioning alternatives as well.

My short, layman's take, your primary seating position respose is pretty good and, despite some greater variations, the alternate locations aren't hurting too bad either. I'd be drooling to have those results across the board in my bottom octaves.