Dr Strangelove, OR how I learned to stop worrying and love EQ - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 24 Old 12-07-11, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Re: Dr Strangelove, OR how I learned to stop worrying and love EQ

Hello, JPV, yes it will be interesting what I "discover" regarding a freq response that I like. What I plan to do also is to have several curves set in the Behringer.
36-24-36, sounds like a good place to start

I mentioned that one aspect of the new improved smoother freq response of the Acoustats was increased dynamics both macro and micro. It reminds me of when I first started to EQ my subs, I was not so sure that it was the direction to go. Who had not thought this initially? It was that as I eliminated the first major peak in my low freq response the dynamics actually sounded to have decreased. How could that be? But as I lost the peaks and as where I could find an album that "matched" that in room peak and rattle the room AT THAT FREQ, the system appeared dynamic.
Is that dynamics?
A single peak we all know sounds boomy so perhaps two, three or four smaller peaks sound more musical.
One peak is boom.
Two peaks is pace.
Three peaks is rhythm.
And four peaks is timing.
Eliminate all of the peaks and you discover the real hidden music.

But how does this relate to increased micro and macro dynamics?

As the peaks are reduced you hear more info from the missing nulls and the obscuring of music from the overshadowing of the peaks. There appears to be more of a natural rise and fall of the macro dynamic music as opposed to just a room shaking peak. If you have room shake/shudder and vibrating objects in the room this is a clear indicator of low freq peaks.

In the micro dynamics, these small dynamics that are a natural part of an instruments sound are not obsured by the overpowering peaks that hide detail.

The same would be true for the next eight octaves, except that the room shake is not the problem. The effect is continued loss of dynamics, listener fatigue and as always loss of detail in the music. This is also closely related to your ultimate listenenig levels. The larger the peaks the more this holds back your in room listening level.

Think of a peak (anywhere in your freq response) as the slow car in the third lane. It will always hold back the the other cars from

Also think of peaks and dips as a mountain range (freq response), easy enough to do. Not very easy to traverse (listen to). But if you smooth out the mountains to fill in the valleys, you still have the same amount of earth(energy), but look how much easier it is to traverse(smoother). If you were looking for a view from the mountain top and now it is not high enough, you just need to raise the plateau. Not look for another mountain to hold you back.

Sponsored Links
post #22 of 24 Old 12-08-11, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Hello again, So now I have increased dynamics and have also experienced decreased noise. Almost a miracle! But how does a smoother freq response reduce noise while at the same time increasing dynamics?

I am sure that more than a few of us have observed the easiest to observe noise reduction or problem is with 60hz line noise. A peak at 60hz will simply have you hearing more noise than you would when that peak is reduced.

When I applied EQ to my midrange I was surprised in hearing a reduction of noise. I had thought that if one were reducing peaks, and therefore reducing noise at the freq range those peaks are in, that the inverse of that would be that as the freq response dips are brought up in level that it would be a "wash".
IE: as you reduce noise from one peak that it would be countered by the increase in noise in the region that was brought up in level. And therefor the amount of noise would be equal. While that must be strictly true, it does not sound that way. MY system sounds more quiet, "blacker".

I did a little experiment and added 1 to 4 filters at various freq in the midrange with various Qs and gains, as the filters were added it was quite obvious that any peak in any freq range increased noise levels, DUH now that seems obvious

Just another reason not to tolerate poor freq response.

post #23 of 24 Old 12-08-11, 09:30 AM

Interesting observation on the floor noise. If you run the RTA with the system not on, with the system on with filters in, and with the filters out do you see any changes?
My quess is you would in each case. Noise comes from a lot of area that are not so obvious. The lights, Dimmer switch, compressors, heating and cooling equipment. etc all add to the floor noise.
By making your system smoother by reducing peaks you may be reducing the noise injected into your stereo by other equipment. I wonder if you had a 60 hz peak and you lower it with you Behringer will that reduce the harmonics of that frequency?
post #24 of 24 Old 12-09-11, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Hi JPV, I have not used the RTA to check the noise floor in that way. That would be interesting. I have no other electronics on when listening, this system is in my "barn" and there are no lights, refrigerators etc on while listening. Well there is a compressor for the ET2 tonearm, but it only runs once, every 20 min or so.

All of our systems have "noise" thruout the freq spectrum. So reducing a peak will reduce the noise at that freq.

The interesting part is that while I heard a slight increase in noise after installing the Behringer at the speaker (listening close, within 1 ft of the speaker), the "noise" or noise floor is quieter at the seated position, which is where I listen, and where it matters most to me.

Of course that makes sense when you consider the fact that if you listen elsewhere in the room, system noise is decidedly worse.
This is what occurs when you use equalization.
When you equalize you are just moving peaks to other parts of the room, while you enjoy a nice non peak zone.

What I find most interesting is that, since a decrease of noise because of a peak, should be countered by an increase of noise, because of a dip. They should equal out. And I am sure they do, but the sound is much improved in this manner. I guess its a noise free zone

dr , eq , learned , love , stop , strangelove , worrying

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page