REW YouTube Tutorial - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 105 Old 06-06-12, 08:49 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: REW YouTube Tutorial

A bi-directional sound card simply means that it's capable of playback and recording at the same time.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 105 Old 07-02-12, 12:48 PM
Senior Shackster
John

What Bryan refers to as "bidirectional" is actually what is usually known as "full-duplex". Full duplex is the norm these days and it would be very unusual to find a sound card or audio interface that was not full duplex, so typically you don't have to worry about it.
post #13 of 105 Old 09-16-12, 04:58 PM

My System

Could I get some assistance regarding how i might use your REW software in conjunction with my DBX Driverack 260? Thanks!

post #14 of 105 Old 09-17-12, 06:20 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Among other things, REW can help you determine where to set the crossover frequencies for your PA system as well as equalize it. Hard to be more specific without more details on your system and/or intended application.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

|

post #15 of 105 Old 09-19-12, 12:55 AM
HTCare

hi, need to know the difference between xtz room analyser and REW software. which one is more accurate and user-friendly. will appriciate comments.
post #16 of 105 Old 09-19-12, 05:11 AM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System
Accuracy of these systems can be dependent on outside dependencies such as hardware, product and subject familiarity and even weather/climate. I personally use a combination of REW for my main measurments and XTZ for validation if something does not look correct to me.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and

post #17 of 105 Old 09-19-12, 05:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System
Also, with REW you can capture down to 0 Hz and XTZ only to 16.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and

post #18 of 105 Old 11-20-12, 11:47 AM
oyo
Shackster
oyo

Thumbs up Re: REW YouTube Tutorial

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I used to use REW a few years ago. This video will bring me back up to speed in no time, (well, about 9 minutes and 34 seconds!)
post #19 of 105 Old 01-03-13, 01:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Great video! However, there is a significant error at about 3:25 when it says to perform the measurement with the mic in an upright position, but neglects to mention that this requires a special calibration file for 90-degree orientation. Traditionally horizontal orientation has been used for frequency response measurements in minimally-reverberant free-field environments like we find with the typical home theater. It should be mentioned the our generic calibration files for the Behringer ECM8000 and Dayton EMM-6 mics are 0-degree files for horizontal orientation. More reading on mic orientation in the links found in this post.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #20 of 105 Old 01-04-13, 07:39 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Hi Wayne

Here is a quote from the REW download link where they talk about mics and calibrations:

"For listening position measurements we recommend that the meter or mic be oriented vertically with a forward angle of about 10 - 20 degrees to capture a good mix of direct and reflected sound for 'room' measurements.

For near-field measurements we recommend a horizontal position to give the most accurate high frequency readings."

Since we're doing listening position testing, the vertical orientation is what is recommended.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician