Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

REW YouTube Tutorial

138K views 105 replies 40 participants last post by  madermat 
#1 ·
Compliments of GIK Acoustics. We would like to thank GIK Acoustics for preparing a very nice YouTube Tutorial on how to use REW. GIK tells us it is the first of several we can look forward to seeing. Thank you GIK!

#72 · (Edited)
GIK, thank you for the video! It helped me understand more than I thought I knew.

At the beginning, the narrator mentions that, for instructional purposes, both mains will be measured at the same time. He then goes on to say that (real-world) individual measurements will be made later. I don't think the second video has been made yet, so I looked for help and found it from new member "ntran" in Post #8 of this thread.

The document is a step-by-step guide to REW and holds a wealth of information in a wrritten version as easy to follow as the video!.. Topics like computer setup with HDMI and ASIO4ALL, measuring speaker/sub combinations, and all the workings of REW itself.

Thank you, ntran!

#73 ·
It was very helpful to learn from this thread that Soundcard calibration is not required for a USB mic. I am using a Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic and did download the calibration file and included it in the REW preferences setup. Currently when I run "Check Levels" I cannot get the input meter to indicate in the recommended range of -24db to -12db FS even with my mic input level set to 100% (in Windows control panel). In indicates about -35db FS and this is based on a 75db signal as measured by my stand alone SPL meter. Is this a problem I should be concerned about?

#76 ·
I've used REW before with AV connections but now that I tried with hdmi I cannot open the channels on the REW output to select. I am using the Umik 1 mic with the calibrated file. I go to preferences on REW and made sure I selected Asio4, then on input I selected umik1 but for output it says Not Connected. The hdmi is connected to the back of the avr and I can see/display the PC/REW info on the tv screen.
Any thoughts please?

#79 ·
I don't know, sorry. Were you able to select both the UMIK and the HDMI output on the ASIO4All control panel? Did you restart REW after doing that? What output devices does REW show? Might be worht posting a couple of screenshots of the ASIO4All panel and the REW soundcard preferences. I guess there's also a chance the HDMI behaviour may depend on the surround mode the AVR is set to.

#80 ·
I don't know, sorry. Were you able to select both the UMIK and the HDMI output on the ASIO4All control panel? Did you restart REW after doing that? What output devices does REW show? Might be worht posting a couple of screenshots of the ASIO4All pane and the REW osundcard preferences. I guess there's also a chance the HDMI behaviour may depend on the surround mode the AVR is set to.
I was able to select umik for input and for output it says not connected or it says hd something. I needed to check the avr hdmi settings.

#83 · (Edited)
Hi
My names Mike and I am a "dumbo" newbie :(
I have been trying for weeks, yes weeks to setup the REW software, with various hardware, mic, speakers in my studio control room and I am getting no-where fast.

1. I have a Apple Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion
2. REW software for mac
3. Behringer ECM8000 with calibration file
4. M-Box 410 firewire interface
5. Digi design 003 interface
6. Mackie ProFX16 mixer with USB output
7. DynAudio BM6 speakers routed thru a Mackie 32 8 buss mixer.
8. Miles of cables and adapters in any configuration one desires....!!!!

I even have a very old analogue REALISTIC/Radio Shack SPL meter

I have read, re-read and re-read again the the REW manual on set up and on how to take measurements
I have printed both set up pictures
I have listened to the GIK video 3 times and another one on Youtube

And still I get the REW software telling me my audio levels are too low to take measurements...grrrrr

EVEN THOU ALL MY LEVELS ARE UP FULL AND I MEAN UP FULL on everything INPUTS AND OUTPUTS on my mac
mic inputs up full.... mixer outputs from speakers up FULL( well with out blowing them up and causing my ears to bleed)

and I still get this rotten message from EQ wizard telling my my levels are too low.

At the beginning when I found this amazing software, I just plugged in my EC8000 mic straight into the input of my apple mac and the output to my Mackie 8 buss where the DynAudios are connected and I received no message telling me the levels were to low, and took some measurements and thought that was it...

However, that was until I watched the GIK video telling me that I needed an audio interface.
Well that's ok I thought as I have 2 of them as mentioned above...!!!

1. Digidesign 003
2. Mackie ProFX16

Unfortunately, after setting up my Digidesign 003 it didn't seem to work, so I tried my Mackie ProFX16 with USB and that didn't seem to work either.

So I went through the GIK video again and thought since on the video they are using a Prosonus Firewire Studio, I though ok I'll go out and buy a firewire interface, thinking it was the answer to my prays...
So on ebay i saw this secondhand M-audio 410 Firewire interface and bought it all because the 003 and the Mackie mixer didn't do the job

So when my M-Audio Firewire interface arrived I thought "you beauty" I'll set it up and all will be GREAT hahahah

Well guess what... I STILL got this rotton message from from eq wizard telling me that my audio input is too low and that I should check all inputs outputs, outputs, mute button, ect, ect, ect which I have checked re-checked and checked again on various hardware and still the readings are too low and nothing I do seems too work... Grrrr

So now I have only succeeded in adding to my growing hardware and am $100 poorer and still NO joy only EQ wizard telling me I'm a failure :(

So if there is anybody in the world that can help me here, I would really appreciate it, as I am just about stuffed and ready to commit suicide
Mike from Oz

#84 ·
You don't need an external audio interface to use REW, if you have a phantom power+mic to line converter for the ECM8000 there is nothing at all wrong with connecting it directly to your Mac. Simpler is often better as far as soundcards and interfaces are concerned, acoustic measurements don't place high demands on a soundcard. Cards with multiple stereo inputs can be difficult to get routing properly, not sure whether that is an issue with the Javasound implementation or something else.

#85 ·
Hi John

OM goodness how simple was that
I ended up using my Zoom H4N to connect the mic using the onboard 48V phantom supply
straight into my mac.

opened REW took the sound card measurements and "whalla" no messages
In fact REW told me my levels were good

Thanks a lot, you saved my life ...lol

Now all i need to do is find out how to set the limits in REW so I will read the manual on that
again many thanks

Mike :)

#91 ·
I'm a newbie with REW too and have one really dumb question for all of you. When using REW to generate a curve for subwoofers, do you use pink noise to generate the curves or sine wave? And should one use the same when generating curves for the remaining speakers as well? I could not easily find the answer to this basic question in the instructions. I just want to be sure that I'm feeding the sub and the speakers the correct signal. Thanks.

Cal68

#95 ·
That doesn't look right. If that's a sub reading it's the best I've ever seen. It's basically within 1-2 db up to almost 200 Hz which really isn't realistic in pretty much any situation. Plus the level is VERY high. Should be in the 70-80 db range.

#96 ·
One mistake I think I was making was leaving the feedback cable in so that when I did the test the sound was only coming out of one speaker. When I "check levels" before the test I get around 75db from the speakers, so I don't know why it shows up so loudly on the graph. Does this test look better? I removed the feedback cable so the sound was coming from both speakers.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.