REW YouTube Tutorial - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #71 of 93 Old 02-09-15, 03:43 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: REW YouTube Tutorial

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
Correct, just load the calibration file for the mic and you're good to go.

Regards,
Wayne
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 93 Old 03-31-15, 08:08 PM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

GIK, thank you for the video! It helped me understand more than I thought I knew.

At the beginning, the narrator mentions that, for instructional purposes, both mains will be measured at the same time. He then goes on to say that (real-world) individual measurements will be made later. I don't think the second video has been made yet, so I looked for help and found it from new member "ntran" in Post #8 of this thread.

The document is a step-by-step guide to REW and holds a wealth of information in a wrritten version as easy to follow as the video!.. Topics like computer setup with HDMI and ASIO4ALL, measuring speaker/sub combinations, and all the workings of REW itself.

Thank you, ntran!

Last edited by Lumen; 03-31-15 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Found answer to question, so posted it here for everyone's benefit
post #73 of 93 Old 04-25-15, 09:25 PM

It was very helpful to learn from this thread that Soundcard calibration is not required for a USB mic. I am using a Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic and did download the calibration file and included it in the REW preferences setup. Currently when I run "Check Levels" I cannot get the input meter to indicate in the recommended range of -24db to -12db FS even with my mic input level set to 100% (in Windows control panel). In indicates about -35db FS and this is based on a 75db signal as measured by my stand alone SPL meter. Is this a problem I should be concerned about?
post #74 of 93 Old 04-26-15, 05:22 AM
REW Author

John

Nope, nothing to worry about, per the REW help on checking measurement levels: If using a USB mic the signal may be much lower, below -50 dB, this is OK
post #75 of 93 Old 07-28-15, 06:00 AM
Zee
Shackster

Just wanted to thank those involved in the video and the software.

Z...
post #76 of 93 Old 07-29-15, 02:16 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I've used REW before with AV connections but now that I tried with hdmi I cannot open the channels on the REW output to select. I am using the Umik 1 mic with the calibrated file. I go to preferences on REW and made sure I selected Asio4, then on input I selected umik1 but for output it says Not Connected. The hdmi is connected to the back of the avr and I can see/display the PC/REW info on the tv screen.
Any thoughts please?
post #77 of 93 Old 07-30-15, 02:36 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
I've used REW before with AV connections but now that I tried with hdmi I cannot open the channels on the REW output to select. I am using the Umik 1 mic with the calibrated file. I go to preferences on REW and made sure I selected Asio4, then on input I selected umik1 but for output it says Not Connected. The hdmi is connected to the back of the avr and I can see/display the PC/REW info on the tv screen.
Any thoughts please?
Could try following the miniDSP article to see if that helps, it covers it all well: http://www.minidsp.com/applications/...dmi-on-windows
post #78 of 93 Old 07-30-15, 02:57 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
Could try following the miniDSP article to see if that helps, it covers it all well: http://www.minidsp.com/applications/...dmi-on-windows
Thank you. I read it before and I can get every step but somehow I cannot get the output window to display the speaker channels. I know the hdmi has to be set for multi channel output.
How can I verify the hdmi multi channel output?
post #79 of 93 Old 07-30-15, 03:58 PM
REW Author

John

I don't know, sorry. Were you able to select both the UMIK and the HDMI output on the ASIO4All control panel? Did you restart REW after doing that? What output devices does REW show? Might be worht posting a couple of screenshots of the ASIO4All panel and the REW soundcard preferences. I guess there's also a chance the HDMI behaviour may depend on the surround mode the AVR is set to.
post #80 of 93 Old 07-30-15, 04:02 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
I don't know, sorry. Were you able to select both the UMIK and the HDMI output on the ASIO4All control panel? Did you restart REW after doing that? What output devices does REW show? Might be worht posting a couple of screenshots of the ASIO4All pane and the REW osundcard preferences. I guess there's also a chance the HDMI behaviour may depend on the surround mode the AVR is set to.
I was able to select umik for input and for output it says not connected or it says hd something. I needed to check the avr hdmi settings.