REW YouTube Tutorial - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #81 of 93 Old 08-13-15, 01:47 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: REW YouTube Tutorial

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
I was able to select umik for input and for output it says not connected or it says hd something. I needed to check the avr hdmi settings.
I am just an amateur in all computers things but I went through many problems before being capable to use rew with my hdmi output.
The problems I had were:
first) related with drivers (intel, nvidia,realtek etc), firmware, software, windows not updated to last version, adobe flash reader java etc must be updated and
second) having downloaded updates or programs (rew or Asio4all) without having stop antivirus,firewalls web protections etc before.
All my problems resolved after that.
Rew is a fantastic piece of machinery and I hope soon be able to post some graphs to get help to interpret all the infos provided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 93 Old 08-13-15, 01:51 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
FargateOne wrote: View Post
I am just an amateur in all computers things but I went through many problems before being capable to use rew with my hdmi output.
The problems I had were:
first) related with drivers (intel, nvidia,realtek etc), firmware, software, windows not updated to last version, adobe flash reader java etc must be updated and
second) having downloaded updates or programs (rew or Asio4all) without having stop antivirus,firewalls web protections etc before.
All my problems resolved after that.
Rew is a fantastic piece of machinery and I hope soon be able to post some graphs to get help to interpret all the infos provided.
Thank you! I was able to get the channels to show on REW after I connected the mic to a different usb input on the pc. I will post graphs once I get my sub fixed. It went caput the other day.
post #83 of 93 Old 06-28-16, 03:42 AM
Shackster
ratty

Hi
My names Mike and I am a "dumbo" newbie
I have been trying for weeks, yes weeks to setup the REW software, with various hardware, mic, speakers in my studio control room and I am getting no-where fast.

1. I have a Apple Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion
2. REW software for mac
3. Behringer ECM8000 with calibration file
4. M-Box 410 firewire interface
5. Digi design 003 interface
6. Mackie ProFX16 mixer with USB output
7. DynAudio BM6 speakers routed thru a Mackie 32 8 buss mixer.
8. Miles of cables and adapters in any configuration one desires....!!!!

I even have a very old analogue REALISTIC/Radio Shack SPL meter

I have read, re-read and re-read again the the REW manual on set up and on how to take measurements
I have printed both set up pictures
I have listened to the GIK video 3 times and another one on Youtube

And still I get the REW software telling me my audio levels are too low to take measurements...grrrrr

EVEN THOU ALL MY LEVELS ARE UP FULL AND I MEAN UP FULL on everything INPUTS AND OUTPUTS on my mac
mic inputs up full.... mixer outputs from speakers up FULL( well with out blowing them up and causing my ears to bleed)

and I still get this rotten message from EQ wizard telling my my levels are too low.

At the beginning when I found this amazing software, I just plugged in my EC8000 mic straight into the input of my apple mac and the output to my Mackie 8 buss where the DynAudios are connected and I received no message telling me the levels were to low, and took some measurements and thought that was it...

However, that was until I watched the GIK video telling me that I needed an audio interface.
Well that's ok I thought as I have 2 of them as mentioned above...!!!

1. Digidesign 003
2. Mackie ProFX16

Unfortunately, after setting up my Digidesign 003 it didn't seem to work, so I tried my Mackie ProFX16 with USB and that didn't seem to work either.

So I went through the GIK video again and thought since on the video they are using a Prosonus Firewire Studio, I though ok I'll go out and buy a firewire interface, thinking it was the answer to my prays...
So on ebay i saw this secondhand M-audio 410 Firewire interface and bought it all because the 003 and the Mackie mixer didn't do the job

So when my M-Audio Firewire interface arrived I thought "you beauty" I'll set it up and all will be GREAT hahahah

Well guess what... I STILL got this rotton message from from eq wizard telling me that my audio input is too low and that I should check all inputs outputs, outputs, mute button, ect, ect, ect which I have checked re-checked and checked again on various hardware and still the readings are too low and nothing I do seems too work... Grrrr

So now I have only succeeded in adding to my growing hardware and am $100 poorer and still NO joy only EQ wizard telling me I'm a failure

So if there is anybody in the world that can help me here, I would really appreciate it, as I am just about stuffed and ready to commit suicide
Mike from Oz

Last edited by Mike Hirsh; 06-28-16 at 04:11 AM.
post #84 of 93 Old 06-28-16, 01:57 PM
REW Author

John

You don't need an external audio interface to use REW, if you have a phantom power+mic to line converter for the ECM8000 there is nothing at all wrong with connecting it directly to your Mac. Simpler is often better as far as soundcards and interfaces are concerned, acoustic measurements don't place high demands on a soundcard. Cards with multiple stereo inputs can be difficult to get routing properly, not sure whether that is an issue with the Javasound implementation or something else.
post #85 of 93 Old 06-28-16, 08:53 PM
Shackster
ratty

Hi John

OM goodness how simple was that
I ended up using my Zoom H4N to connect the mic using the onboard 48V phantom supply
straight into my mac.

opened REW took the sound card measurements and "whalla" no messages
In fact REW told me my levels were good

Thanks a lot, you saved my life ...lol

Now all i need to do is find out how to set the limits in REW so I will read the manual on that
again many thanks

Mike
post #86 of 93 Old 08-11-16, 08:13 AM

Is it possible to set one measured response flat (on axis, for example) and others as difference to that? This is a good feature in MLSSA.

Thanks,
Ilpo
post #87 of 93 Old 08-11-16, 02:49 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
Ilpo wrote: View Post
Is it possible to set one measured response flat (on axis, for example) and others as difference to that? This is a good feature in MLSSA.
Not directly, but you can divide responses by a reference using the trace arithmetic controls on the All SPL graph. The responses should be appropriately time aligned.
post #88 of 93 Old 08-29-16, 10:13 AM
Shackster

Great tool!
How to position the microphone at the listning position? Upward or horisontal towards the speakers?
post #89 of 93 Old 08-29-16, 10:46 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Kind of depends on the type of mic. I generally just do it at 45 degrees.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #90 of 93 Old 08-30-16, 06:29 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

If it’s a standard measurement mic, most pros recommend aiming it the speaker. However, vertical orientation seems to be popular with the non-pro home theater set. You can usually get acceptable results doing that, as long as you’re using a 90-degree calibration file.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
HiFiStereo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

|