Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

SPL meter waiting time

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Zestforlife 
#1 ·
I've checked the Radio Shack stores (3) within 20 miles of every direction and unfortunately they are all tiny stores and neither carry SPL meters in shop, online only. Therefore, I have to wait to purchase and then wait for my purchase to arrive.

I was curious, my A/V uses Auddysey multi eq and somewhere on the site I read that that Multi EQ sets speakers to 75db listening level. Is it safe to run audyssey, then use the audyssey Mic with REW and calibrate the SPL meter to 75db or will this all result in false readings? It will be a short term solution but I dont have the patience to wait on diving into this program.

#2 ·
I was curious, my A/V uses Auddysey multi eq and somewhere on the site I read that that Multi EQ sets speakers to 75db listening level. Is it safe to run audyssey, then use the audyssey Mic with REW and calibrate the SPL meter to 75db or will this all result in false readings? It will be a short term solution but I dont have the patience to wait on diving into this program.
You can do that . Your actual SPL reading ( as displayed within REW ) won't be entirely accurate ( maybe off by a few db ) / but it's all relative .

More importantly, the biggest hurdle ( to semi-accurate results ) will be that your Audyssey test mic won't have a calibration file loaded into REW / therefore , the frequency response of the data captures will be suspect .

Do a search in this forum to see if someone else has compared the audyssey mic to a calibrated type of some sort. That'll at least give you an idea of what sort of error you can expect ( it might be perfectly acceptable ).

:sn:

#6 · (Edited)
My question is related so I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this thread.

I just bought a calibrated emm-6 from cross spectrum and I too, do not have a spl meter yet. Am I correct in thinking that to set the spl level I would:

1) load the emm-6 calibration file
2) use REWs pink noise generator set to -30 dbFS with the "speaker cal" button set.
3) set my receiver to 0 master volume. (should be 75 db, see below)
4) place emm-6 at listening position
5) hit "calibrate spl" button and enter 75 db​

Does that sound about right or is there an easier way to do it?

EDIT: I realize there's no need to do a spl calibration for frequency response measurements. Just wanted to see if there was a poor man's way of getting it close, being that audyssey provides a point of reference.

From Audyssey's page -

"To achieve the same reference level in a home theater system each speaker level must be adjusted so that –30 dBFS band-limited (500 Hz – 2000 Hz) pink noise produces 75 dB sound pressure level at the listening position. A home theater system automatically calibrated by Audyssey MultEQ will play at reference level when the master volume control is set to the 0 dB position."

#7 ·
My question is related so I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this thread.

I just bought a calibrated emm-6 from cross spectrum and I too, do not have a spl meter yet. Am I correct in thinking that to set the spl level I would:

1) load the emm-6 calibration file
2) use REWs pink noise generator set to -30 dbFS with the "speaker cal" button set.
3) set my receiver to 0 master volume. (should be 75 db, see below)
4) place emm-6 at listening position
5) hit "calibrate spl" button and enter 75 db​

Does that sound about right or is there an easier way to do it?

Not quite...

Instead:
1) run Audyssey
2) load the emm-6 calibration file
3) place emm-6 at listening position
4) turn on the AVR's internal PN noise for any one of the front main speakers
5) hit REW "calibrate spl" button and enter 75 db[/INDENT]

This will work just as well as using an RS SPL meter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.