Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

miniDSP New Sponsor for the REW Forum

36K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  ctconger 
#1 ·
I know many of you are familiar with miniDSP, who is now an official sponsor at HTS.

Please join me in welcoming miniDSP as a sponsor!

miniDSP provides a revolutionary new range of Digital audio Signal Processors (DSP) engineered to fit a wide range of applications. From a multi-way digital crossovers to a subwoofer processor, miniDSP platforms offer system design freedom in a credit card size form factor. Discover our range of innovative products for processing needs ranging from simple IIR crossover to advanced FIR platforms!

miniDSP Key Facts

• A proven platform powered by a strong community and dedicated Devteam
  • Audio processing up & running in no time
  • Free unlimited plug-in upgrades for Windows/Mac OS X platforms
  • DIY/OEM ready with expansion ports, stackable I/O cards
  • IIR and FIR filter support
  • As small as a 3"x3" square and only 0.5W power
Thanks to the partnership between the miniDSP platforms and Room Eq Wizard (REW), miniDSP is much more than a digital audio processor. By providing a complete measurement + system tuning solution fitting in the palm of your hand, the miniDSP product line innovates once again, yet keeping their price very competitive.

See less See more
#7 ·
Dear All,

Thanks for your nice welcoming comments and to Sonnie for the Intro (and his patience for our banner ;-)!

We're certainly glad to become a sponsor for HTShack, a great community backed by a great team.
We're already active in few DIY/HT forums so can't be 24/7 on all of them, but we do work hard to try to answer all questions. If we ever miss one, feel free to send us a PM with a link to your post and we'll get back to you shortly.

In the mean time, have fun with all your DIY/HT endeavors and looking forward to being more involved in the HTShack community!

Tony

#9 ·
I would like to buy one of these. Is there an official link so you get credit for having them as a sponsor?

I would like to equalize my subs.
I believe I need to get a balanced 2x4 for 2 subs running off a Crown XLS1000.
I just really need help with the connections. Looking at the miniDSP confuses me.
Currently I have two RCA cables coming out of my Onkyo 709 receiver that go directly into the Crown.
The Crown can also accept XLR connections instead of RCA if that helps.
What do I need to purchase besides the miniDSP? Links would be very helpful.

Also, how many filters can I apply? I'm assuming I don't need much between 15-80hz

Thanks in advance.

#10 ·
While I like both miniDSP and REW, I must say that miniDSP support in REW is actually very limited, and for many users unusable (at least the easy way).

This is because some basic assumptions have been made about the miniDSP that are by no means aplicable to all miniDSP models:
- biquads are made for 48K samplerate, while the bigger models have 96Khz
- not all models have support for 6 biquads, my model (2x8), has 5 biquads per EQ, and another 8 when using X-over biquads, meaning a total of 18 biquads can be used in optimal conditions.

I new overcame the problem to use 18 generic EQ's and calculate the biquads via the excel sheet dat miniDSP provides.

So it would be great if there were a bit more flexibility. Adding a means to input samplerate, and not limiting the biquads to 6 would probably do the trick :)

Still, great combination of producst. Keep up the good work :clap:

#15 ·
Nope, no plans for that. The folk using HDMI for multi-channel output are mainly using the ASIO drivers on Windows. The main hold-up for audio interfaces on the Mac side had been that Apple only partially implemented the JavaSound audio interface. A more complete implementation might come along as part of the Oracle OS X Java runtime, but I don't have a current OS X platform to try it out yet.

#20 · (Edited)
I joined to grab REW but I can't say enough about how much I like miniDSP

I don't have any proof of this but I am pretty sure any gains from using a super high end DAC are easily counteracted by not having resistors, coils, and capacitors on the output of your amplifiers.

It would be cool if miniDSP got integrated a bit more and better with REW

I created a filter setup from my measurements, and REW exported a text file. Then I imported it in my woofer PEQ on miniDSP Program but it would not accept it. Fortunately it was only 3 filters and I put them in manually. It worked great!

#22 ·
I'm recently getting into REW and have ordered the MiniDSP microphone (UMIK-1) that's been calibrated by Cross-Spectrum Acoustics. I've got only one sub. Once I measure the in-room response and want to correct for bass peaks/nulls - which MiniDSP device should I use?

Thanks.
Steve

#26 ·
I'm going to getting an unbalanced version of MiniDSP 2x4 (revision B) and plan to tame some peaks on the single sub in the room. The integration with REW seems simple enough to generate 6 correction filters. Don't plan on any boosts, just cuts only.
Question regarding power supply, says it's got a phoenix connector for power supply. What type of DC power, cable and adapter is needed to power the unit? Most seem to rely on the UBS for power.
Going to get the 2-way advanced plug-in. Is this what most use for EQing subs?

#27 ·
I found the Umik-1 Mic easier to use except it was a pain to get the laptop to recognize the Mic. It seemed hit and miss and I suspect the driver may not be 100% compatible with windows 7 so it depends on how up to date the windows 7 on the hard drive is at. As I use system restore to roll windows back to a few weeks ago it recognized the mic but not with the most up to date version. It is quite frustrating. It is definitely not the USB cable because I have tried two other ones, same issue.

#28 ·
I have a mini DSP 2x4 and love it. I have built 32 sets of speakers, all with passive crossovers, since 1980.
For the last 15 years I have been using Calsod to do computer optimization of passive xovers. This worked well. But it pales in comparison with the combination of the miniDSP and REW. Design goes much quicker and since I biamp the demands placed on the power amps are much lower.
Most importantly tuning within 2 dB of target response or better becomes trivial. I am never going back to passive xovers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.