Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Comparing Two Broadband Absorbers

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnM 
#1 · (Edited)
I asked this in the wrong forum, so I'll ask here...

Is there a relatively reliable way of comparing two broadband absorbers using REW? I'm only interested in how they differ in my room, perhaps at varying locations.

EDIT: To add, the room is a tracking, mixing/monitoring, and listening room. When measuring near the mixing position, the differences between the two traps I'm comparing average about 2 dB within each other, but differ considerably depending on frequency. The widest difference I see is about 6 dB, but that's around 150 - 155 Hz. When measuring one trap against no trap, there's only about a max 2 dB reduction depending on frequency.

I wasn't sure if this is typical for a single trap in a corner in a medium to smallesh room (15.5 X 13.5 X 9' H).

#2 ·
Best plots to use when comparing are the waterfall and the frequency response (frequency responses are easily compared on the All SPL graph). You may need a significant area of absorber to see differences easily though. Use a mic stand and careful measurement to make sure the mic is in the same place for all measurements, otherwise the differences from even quite small mic movements may be greater than between different absorbers or absorber placements.

#4 ·
The frequency responses (on the SPL & Phase or All SPL graphs) show the overall effect of all the signals arriving at the mic within the impulse response window, which by default is 500ms - that includes the direct sound and all the significant reflections in a domestic sized room. For views of how the response varies over time use the waterfall, decay and spectrogram plots, which will highlight how treatments are affecting the way frequencies decay in the room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.