Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Strange calibration result....

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  brucek 
#1 ·
Hi,
IT seems Vista is a real pain with REW. Anyway, I bought an XFi external soundcard and Vistsa is not supported by Creative so I don't get any of the software that is available with XP. Anyway, I went to calibrate the soundcard and got the usual feedback oscillation measurement. I muted the line input and got this weird measurement. It looks OK up until the higher frequencies and seems good down low where I want to use it.

I have REW set up like this, does it seem right?

Thanks,
Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
I have REW set up like this, does it seem right?
Yeah, and the soundcard file can actually be used by editing it with notepad to remove all the entries past 1KHz.

Simply delete them and resave. You must first change the .cal extension to .txt and then do your edit with notepad and resave, then change the extension back to .cal

I've seen where some soundcards ring up at the upper frequencies and they just won't co-operate when you try and correct it.

Hopefully you had all the effects turned off and in stereo 2 speaker mode when you did the calibration (if not, it can cause the ringing). Sometimes too high a level when doing the calibration can also cause the ringing - you can turn it down a bit for the calibration and see if that does anything. If not, then simply edit the file - it looks good below 1KHz.. :)

brucek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.