Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

REW no input level

Tags
input level
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  David Youngman 
#1 ·
I've been playing around with REW trying to get it setup and cannot seem to get any input level when doing the calibration in Preferences.

I'm running Windows 7 with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface. I have the output connected to an input for the loop. I'm showing a signal on the Pro 40 interface from the test tone and I'm getting the reading of the test tone through the interface software (Saffire MixControl). In Saffire MixControl I have it routed DAW -> Output (that patch cable is connected and no other outputs are being fed a signal) -> Input (that patch cable is connected to). I'm seeing all correct readings in MixControl.

I have the latest Java installed. It seems the OUT signal from REW is working but not the Input.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David

#2 · (Edited)
- Windows 7 ships "defaulted" to record mono ( to both chnls ) with signal applied to the left channel . If you've never changed this default behavior then this one quirk can ( & will ) turn around and bite you from time to time ( like maybe now ? ) .

- So; assuming you have an un-touched Win7 sound-control panel ( & if you followed REW's directions to the letter ) & then plugged your mic into the right channel, then you've actually plugged into a "dead-end" input channel ( blame MicroSoft , not REW ) .

- Anyways, if this routing problem exits on your computer, you'll need to change the default recording behavior to 2-channel / or / use your ASIO drivers with the ASIO version of REW ( since ASIO will bypass the Windows mixer ) .

:sn:

#3 ·

I have the latest Java installed. It seems the OUT signal from REW is working but not the Input.

Any suggestions?
I use the Saffire Mic Control. If you still have an issue you can try my settings. Here is a screen shot:
Audio equipment Technology Electronic device Electronics Audio receiver

I found the monitor presets needed to be set "grey" instead of "blue" to pass the signal. This is done by holding "shift" key while clicking on the "Monitor Preset" buttons with the mouse. These are circled above.

This bypasses any monitoring and mixing functions and connects the DAW outputs directly to the line outputs. Then with the proper looback connection for calibration and the proper selections of the SaffireMix channels in the REW preferences that should work.

There are probably other methods to route the signal but this seems the most direct to me.

I hope this helps!

#4 ·
John said:
I found the monitor presets needed to be set "grey" instead of "blue" to pass the signal. This is done by holding "shift" key while clicking on the "Monitor Preset" buttons with the mouse. These are circled above.

This bypasses any monitoring and mixing functions and connects the DAW outputs directly to the line outputs. Then with the proper looback connection for calibration and the proper selections of the SaffireMix channels in the REW preferences that should work.
Great info John , Thanks !

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I did get it to work. John your image was helpful. The interface is rather new to me so figuring out all the routing has been a little confusing.

My main problem ended up being that I wasn't using the Channel 1 or 2 inputs on the interface. I had my loop going back to input 8.

I was able to calibrate it so the In and Out matched at -12dB. However, I'm still a little suspicious as my Channel 1 gain had to be very low (about 1.2). I also used the controls in REW to bring the Input level down quite a bit (.119). On the interface, Instrument level was selected and the Pad was In. May not be an issue but thought I'd ask.

#6 ·
Sounds like you have a feedback loop ( either in the Win7 mixer or the Saffire mixer ) .

- This is where you breakup feedback in the Win7 mixer ( make sure "Listen to this device" isn't checked ) ;

- Following Johns advice should stop the feedback if it's in the Saffire mixer .

#7 ·
Got the levels set.
The instrument button ended up needing to be out, which gave me a higher gain level to work with. I also took the Pad off at this point. All graphical readings came out according to the manual.

It's always tough figuring out all of this stuff but I'm happy to have learned more about my setup. And am happy to be able to get some measurements on my room. It looks horrible, but now I know where to go from here.

Thanks for all the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.