Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Macbook pro problems

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  daryn 
#1 ·
I've read here about people having problems running REW on the OSX platform. For me I can take one measurement then it crashes and I have to start completely over and re-assign cal files etc... I've read that the older version was much more stable. Where can I find the oder version now? Thanks.

#3 ·
I had this problem too, and since it appeared to be crashing in native code, I had a hunch that the native stack size was too small. I was right. Even if that just meant nothing to you, simply launch:

Utilities -> Java -> J2SE 5.0 -> Java Preferences

Add this to the "Java Applet Runtime Parameters":
-Xss10485760

Basically says to give each thread a 10MB stack. It's likely overkill in size, but no more crashes for me!

#6 ·
I could be wrong but I would suggest using a Java version that is not a developer pack if the one you have is but instead one that is only the application that is required for the runtime environment ie VM. That is unless you are using the mac OS then that is another story that I am not even sure VM is used for. Some Java versions incorrectly setup depending on your browser and it can be a hit or miss. It took several attempts before I had REW working.

#10 ·
While well meaning, the suggestions about browsers and firefox are irrelevant. Basically, run Software Update to make sure you have the latest Java VM installed.

Go back to Utilities -> Java -> J2SE 5.0 -> Java Preferences, and verify these settings:

Java Version is J2SE 5.0.

Java Applet Runtime Parameters is -Xss10485760.

Java Applet Runtime Settings has this order: J2SE 5.0, J2SE 1.4.2. Make sure that J2SE 5.0 is listed first!

Prior to these settings, REW would crash ALL the time. I was lucky if I could get one measurement. Now I've been able to run under both 10.4.10 and 10.5. While it's a little clunky, it works quite splendidly. I've eq-ed my sub and transducers.

Only problem is that the midi to my BFD didn't work. The BFD flashed like it was getting the midi signals, but the store button would blink. (Yes, I had all the BFD's midi settings correct.) I figured I'd just hit the store button twice, but no filter data was saved. Grr, back to manual entry which was complicated by the textboxes being a wee bit too small to display more than 1 digit. :wits-end:

#11 ·
Thanks for all of your help. I do run firefox most of the time and I have the latest version of java installed. Also, have tried the memory tweak in the prefs and do have 5 listed at top. Also tried the older version with the same problems. Still no luck for me. Guess there must be something strange with my computer.....

I've noticed what looks like a memory status at the bottem of REW. It usually says something like 32M/40M. Anyone know what this represents? Could it be related to the crashes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.