Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Ideas to improve response...

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Phillips 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a UMIK-1 mic and then had it calibrated by CSL to be super sure it was telling me the truth. I was using a Radio Shack SPL meter prior so any measurements I had before were a basically a WAG. I used the 0 degree narrow response file for the measurements and oriented the mic facing the front of the room and horizontal.

Here is what my room looks like approximately.

To be truly accurate I took all room treatments and such out of my room and did a full frequency sweep. This is what it looks like. It's the first measurement in the .mdat.

As you can see I have a big issue in the crossover range and a 500Hz bump.

So after putting some 4" panels across the front corners only half way up the corners the whole response was improved. This is the first green plot.

Then I took a closer look at the bass and crossover area. This is what that looks like. Not awesome!

After a few hours of messing around with panels and settings this is what I ended up with. I think it looks reasonable but I really had to mess around with all sorts of things to get it to look like this. I had to change the sub distance to 30ft in the receiver to finally get rid of most of that 80-100Hz dip!!

Is there something else I can do to make it better or is it reasonable and I should just leave it as is? I'd really like to figure out that crossover area if I can. Any input is welcome. :wave:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes my Onkyo has Audyssey but I have not run it. After fiddling with a thousand things to get this response I'm a little hesitant to let Audyssey come in an change it all. I will try and record all my settings and see what Audyssey does this afternoon.

#6 ·
Alright so I ran Audyssey and like I thought it made it worse. So I then spent the afternoon fixing it. So Audyssey is out.

I'm pretty limited in the positioning of the subs but I did mess around with the placement of the rear sub when I first got it and the rear corner is the best spot in the room for it. I didn't do that with the small one but just placed it and then spun it until the response was the best.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.