Workaround For 8-channel HDMI Out on Mac - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 30 Old 03-30-15, 08:01 PM
Shackster

Re: Workaround For 8-channel HDMI Out on Mac

Quote:
wes wrote: View Post
Sound Flower doesn't work with Maverick!
It works for me, no need to do anything special. Unfortunately it didn't work with my Lenovo as I can only get 2 channels, not all 8 channels even with ASIO. I am using the latest OS update. Just don't know how to get the sound to multiple speakers? I also use HDMI connection between my Mac and receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 08-11-15, 07:55 AM
Shackster

Good morning. I'm unable to get any output via Soundflower to my AVR. I'd be grateful for any advice.

I set up everything per the instructions on the MiniDSP site "Using the UMIK-1 and REW with HDMI output - Mac".

No signal is output to the AVR by Soundflower, but if I set up output device as HDMI in Audio MIDI setup REW sends pink noise as expected to all channels at the same time. I would like to send the REW output to each channel... I'm sure I followed the instructions on this site.

I've tried other ways to do it, but I'm either doing something wrong or the software is no longer compatible. If anyone has any tips I'd be very grateful.

My setup is as follows:
Macbook PRO Retina late 2013
OSX Yosemite 10.10.4
REW 5.12 running JRE 1.8.0_45 64 bit
Soundflower bed v1.6.6
connected to Harman Kardon AVR 3600 via HDMI

Many thanks

Nick
post #13 of 30 Old 11-10-15, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Soundflower no longer seems to be playing nicely with REW and Macs. I found another work around and posted over on AVS. I thought it might be helpful here for those of you that don't frequent those boards as well. Copied and pasted directly from my other post.

I only had about 30 minutes to look at this, but here's a bit of a workaround. It will require having one channel that you manually "turn off." I used my sub channel and just turned off my sub amp. Anyway, hope this helps.

Open the Audio MIDI Setup utility

Click on the plus, add an aggregate device, then select HDMI. This will give you access to all the channels, but you only want to activate one at a time. Click the "Configure Speakers" button.

In the resulting window, make sure the "Stereo" Button is depressed. This will let you select the channel you want, and you can select from any of the channels available to your AVR. We need to manually turn one of these off, so as I mentioned, I set the "Right Front" to my sub channel, and then turned off my sub amp. Now you can use the "Left Front" to select whichever channel you want. I ran through all the speakers in my setup. Seemed to work.

You'll need to make sure you select the aggregate device in REW. Whenever you want to change channels, you'll need to go to the MIDI Setup utility and select the channel you want. Not much different than Soundflower.

That's the best I can do for now.

EDIT: BTW, I ran a few sweeps and had no pops or buzzing.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-08-15, 03:52 PM
Shackster
Sam Ash

EmagSamurai - Thank you very much
post #15 of 30 Old 12-08-15, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Glad to help.
post #16 of 30 Old 12-14-15, 12:49 PM
Shackster

Audioguy

Now that there is a Mac version, I am trying to get REW up and running. I have downloaded SoundFlower but, while it shows up as installed in one place, it shows not installed in another (when I pull down the star symbol at the top of the page).

From my App Folder:

Error Message:

I have downloaded multiple times and get the same result each time.

Help!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #17 of 30 Old 12-14-15, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I would not use SoundFlower unless you absolutely have to. See the above post for a workaround.
post #18 of 30 Old 12-16-15, 05:06 PM
Shackster

Audioguy

I am still getting random success on REW on my Mac seeing the miniDSP mic (with the provided mic cable) even though the Mac sees the mic?

I have been using OmniMic for as long as the product has been available and have successfully used a 10 meter USB extension cable since my equipment is in a separate room from my theater. That included running OmniMic on my Mac under Parallels (running Windows 7). What solution are others using on a Mac running REW so that I can still operate a distance from the mic?

REW provides a number of benefits for me over OmniMic (test signals to 8 vs 6 channels; internally generated test signals; more analysis options and some easier to understand outputs.) But the key advantage of OmniMic is I had it operational 5 minutes out of the box. I probably have 4 or 5 hours invested so far and still can not take my first measurement with REW and it is real important for me to do so.

HELP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #19 of 30 Old 12-16-15, 05:18 PM
Senior Shackster

TomFord

My System

Very good post.

Still learning/waiting to learn the REW.The few times I've looked at it, the information appeared to be 0-30 pages worth of reading.
Don't yet understand how making adjustments in it and using it make audio from say VLC player any better. REW changes correspond with MIDI?
post #20 of 30 Old 12-16-15, 05:26 PM
Shackster

Audioguy

I remember now why I gave up on REW the last time. This time, however, my need is more pressing but and incredibly frustrated on why this takes so much effort to get it to just work. And please don't tell me this is "plug-n-play". It may be for some but not me.

Is there anyone in the Atlanta, GA who has REW running on a Mac? I will buy lunch (or dinner) if you are willing to spend some time with me and get this up and running and show me the basics. I need to be able to use the HDMI output so I can measure at least the 8 key channels. Another way might be to use some software so you can control my mac from wherever you are and get it up and running and demonstrate how to use and understand the basic functionality. I am willing to pay something to get this up and running sooner rather than later. I am, apparently, patience-less!!

Thanks

You can PM me if you are willing to do this. A