Workaround For 8-channel HDMI Out on Mac - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 30 Old 12-17-15, 04:00 PM
REW Author

John

Re: Workaround For 8-channel HDMI Out on Mac

What version of OS X are you running? The most common problem with the UMIK is that the connector needs to be pushed very firmly into the back of the mic, it is a very tight fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 01-16-16, 09:11 AM

Talking Re: Workaround For 8-channel HDMI Out on Mac

EmagSamurai,

Thank you very, very much for the workaround ! I never cared much for Soundflower since in my case it has proven to be unstable, and yesterday ceased to function altogether. Your post was a real lifesaver, so thanks again.

I do have some questions about the "isolation" of the signals that are directed to the various channels. While using the aggregate device I noticed that when i tested my Front Left, my Front Right also produced the the test signal but at a lower level. To see how much this affected my measurement of the front left, I physically disconnected the front right and repeated the front left measurement. Below 200 Hz the difference was certainly noticeable , at higher frequencies no effect was visible. Unfortunately, the graphs weren't saved (my bad) but I intend to repeat this experiment later today.

Question: am I doing something wrong or is a certain crosstalk between channels in this setup unavoidable ?

One remark: since I currently have no sub I cannot physically turn it off as described in your post. Could this be contributing to the "crosstalk" as described above.

love to hear from you !

Zerodark30
post #23 of 30 Old 01-16-16, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I may be wrong about this, but if your system is setup without a sub, then your AVR will play that content in the other speakers. So it may be the LFE content you are hearing in the other speaker. I think the workaround will only work for a system with a system setup for a sub.
post #24 of 30 Old 01-16-16, 02:27 PM

EmagSamurai,

I hadn't realized that and it makes a lot of sense ! I'll test it when my sub is ready.

Thnaks,

Zero
post #25 of 30 Old 01-16-16, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

That's just a guess on my part, so that bit of advice is with about half what you paid for it
post #26 of 30 Old 05-23-16, 11:54 AM
Shackster

Hi EmagSamurai,
Thank you very much for the description of how to use an Aggregate device to quickly test 7 channels with HDMI. After trial and error I got this workaround to work with selecting Multichannel -> 2 channels (stereo). On my Mac selecting the Stereo config option was sending to signal to one channel regardless of which channel I selected. I had to experiment and discovered that if I select the Multichannel - 2 channels (Stereo) the signal finally was switching between the different channels.

By the way, any idea how to measure Dolby Atmos (11 channels)?

Best regards,
AlleyCat
post #27 of 30 Old 10-14-16, 02:58 PM
REW Author

John

As of V5.17 beta 11 it should be possible to select HDMI output channels directly within REW rather than having to create and modify an aggregate device.
post #28 of 30 Old 11-01-16, 09:36 AM

John,

Does this mean you do not need Soundflower either? I can configure all the HDMI connections and generate pink noise through my speakers, but I am having a hard time installing Soundflower on my Mac with OS Sierra.

Thanks,

Nick
post #29 of 30 Old 11-01-16, 04:09 PM
REW Author

John

No, you shouldn't need Soundflower.
post #30 of 30 Old 11-01-16, 04:49 PM

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
No, you shouldn't need Soundflower.