First Measurement - Starting point for a work already in progress - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 34 Old 02-08-14, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Austin

My System
Re: First Measurement - Starting point for a work already in progress

Yes the first row is dead center in the front of the room.I have made a bunch of sweeps this morning. Including this graph below. I moved one sub to the side in the front of the room and the second sub to the corresponding rear corner. Much smoother response. Your thoughts?

First Measurement - Starting point for a work already in progress-feb-8-front-rear.jpg

Feb 8 front rear.mdat

Still not exactly digging very deep......?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 02-08-14, 01:46 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Sadly having the main listening position in the centre of the room makes it very difficult to get good results as that is where all of the reflections converge causing nulls and cancelation. Moving the subs around can help somewhat but treatment of the walls is the only real solution or move the front row back a few feet and get rid of or move the rear seating all the way back if it is not already.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #13 of 34 Old 02-08-14, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Austin

My System

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that I took a measurement in the back row. It was center line though. I will try again with the microphone off to one side.
post #14 of 34 Old 02-08-14, 03:52 PM
Elite Shackster

Use the RTA in REW for each at a time, and move the mic around to see if extension/response improves.

What is the specs of the subs?

Have you tried the phase?

What size drivers are the subs?
post #15 of 34 Old 02-08-14, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Austin

My System

Phillips, I tried the phase last night and switched to 180 and it just made the response quieter.

The drivers are 12". Here are the specs.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 26Hz-120Hz ± 3dB
MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 116dB @ 30Hz
AMPLIFIER: BASH® Digital Hybrid
AMPLIFIER POWER: FTC Rated Power: 300 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 600 watts
DRIVE COMPONENTS: 12" (30.5cm) Active non-resonant Woven Fiberglass driver
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via front-firing slot port
INPUTS: L/R Line-level RCA jacks, L/R High-level speaker binding posts, WA port
OUTPUTS: None
HEIGHT: 16" (40.6cm)
WIDTH: 14.5" (36.8cm)
DEPTH: 19" (48.3cm)
WEIGHT: 46lbs (20.9kg)
FINISHES: Black pica
VOLTAGE: 100-120V / 220-240V~50/60Hz 3.15A (Auto-voltage switching) with 1 Watt standby
post #16 of 34 Old 02-08-14, 08:18 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
AGINHOUSE wrote: View Post
Still not exactly digging very deep......?
For sure. Did you by chance take separate measurements? That might be instructive.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #17 of 34 Old 02-09-14, 12:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Use the RTA in REW for each at a time, and move the mic around to see if extension/response improves.
Please do this

Quote:
What is the specs of the subs?
With these specs with 2 26hz should be easy.

Quote:
Have you tried the phase?
Ok if you did this with one at a time leave at 0 degrees

What do the mains measure, matter of interest?

Last edited by Phillips; 02-09-14 at 12:28 AM.
post #18 of 34 Old 02-09-14, 12:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
It sounds like you have the two subs more-or-less centered on the front wall? If so, move them to a corner. If you have a symmetrical room, you can put one in each front corner. If your room is asymmetrical, it would be best to stack them in the corner that has the longest uninterrupted length of wall (i.e., no openings). His should improve your extension significantly.
Sorry Wayne to jump in here.

Have you tried this what Wayne has suggested?

Try moving the mains in, then put the subs on the outside of the mains (corner loading).

Generally speaking use the 3rd rule for starters.

Measuring one at a time is your best starter, RTA is a quick way to measure for positioning for sub/s etc and listening position, then fine tune with the sweep (normal measurement).
post #19 of 34 Old 02-09-14, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Austin

My System

Good morning guys, I apologize for the delayed response.

Yes Wayne, I took quite a few measurements. Here are a few.

First Measurement - Starting point for a work already in progress-feb-8-pos3-stkd.jpg
Feb 8 pos3 stkd.mdat This is the subs stacked along the longest uninterrupted wall

First Measurement - Starting point for a work already in progress-feb-8-stacked-front.jpg
Feb 8 stacked front.mdat This is the subs stacked on the front wall one third of the way across

First Measurement - Starting point for a work already in progress-feb-8-pos2-phase0.jpg
Feb 8 pos2 phase0.mdat This is the subs split apart. One on each side equal widths apart.

Im sorry Phillips, Im unable to corner load the sub in the front of the room because that would relocate my towers to be in front of the projection screen.
Im don't follow regarding your instructions regarding RTA. Is there somewhere I can read about this? If so I'll try to study up and analyze for you based on my room.

I hate to be waisting everyone's time here but, Im beginning to feel as though Im just doing something wrong? Could it be my calibration file? I have verified the spl levels in REW with my SPL meter.....?

calibration1381251.txt

Phillips, would you like me to turn my sub off and take a bass sweep with my mains? or do you want subs and mains together in a bass sweep?

Last edited by AGINHOUSE; 02-09-14 at 10:53 AM.
post #20 of 34 Old 02-09-14, 11:50 AM
REW Author

John

The feb 8 pos 3 stkd and feb 8 stacked front measurements are not valid, if you look at the impulse responses you will see two peaks about 1.1 seconds apart, perhaps some strange buffering behaviour in line in/soundflower/OS X/Java. Best to keep an eye on the impulse response after each measurement and discard any that look like those.