Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

REW and R+D

Tags
rew
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  vince 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have purchased and used R+D to tune my system and am very happy with the results. Thought I would give REW a test drive to see just how close the two programs are compared. The thing is I purchased the USB sound card that Acoustisoft rec. and sells, which works fine, but I don't know if I can use this soundcard with REW or not. I combines the "input and output" of the left channel internally in the soundcard box. And you just use the right channel for measurement, which is great not to have all these cables running everywhere. But if I wanted to use this soundcard with REW and my laptop, would'nt I have to disconect the "left input to output connection". I think REW just uses one channel of the soundcard, once to create a calibration file, and then the same channel becomes your measurement channel, right? Using R+D it leaves the left channel connected in the loop through configuration so it measures the soundcard each time you run a measurement. Can I still use this soundcard with REW?, even though the left channel will stay looped?:scratch:
Thanks,
Vince

#2 ·
I think REW just uses one channel of the soundcard, once to create a calibration file, and then the same channel becomes your measurement channel, right?
That's correct. I don't see why you couldn't use the free channel to run REW. REW allows you to choose which channel you'll be using, so just stick with the open channel.

There's an advantage to using the 'calibration file' method that REW employs. If you use a microphone and preamp setup such as the ECM8000, you can include the mic preamp in the one time soundcard calibration file setup loop, and so this helps eliminate any response anomolies in the preamp along with the correction for the soundcard.

brucek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.