Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Soundcard Cal - pulling my hair out!!

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  clubfoot 
#1 ·
This is my 2nd go round with REW. I have a BFD and have downloaded filters to it previously. I even got to the point where I was playing with House Curves and was pretty happy with the results. But I recently put a riser into my HT room and want to revisit my settings as it doesn't sound as good as it used to.

But I can't for the life of me get anything to work. I used the exact same setup as before and had a variety of weird things happening. I decided to go back to basics and start from scratch with the soundcard cal. And that is where I am stuck.

When I put the loopback in and do the calibration measurement, I get the expected response.

But then, when I try to measure it to verify things are working, I get this - a flat line (good) but at 111 dB (bad):

Then I check the SPL meter and it shows ~48 dB with the loopback connection on and nothing else connected! The problem is the same when I try to measure anything - its like I have a floor of 50 dB in all my measurements and its driving me crazy. I thought maybe it was a ground loop putting a buzz into the line inputs, so I disconnnected all other cables. Still no joy.

I have also made sure that the recording monitor is muted and REW is the only program running.

I'm guessing my onboard soundcard must be shot. But it seems hard to believe since I haven't really changed anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? Brucek?

See less See more
#3 ·
I wish it were that simple. When I try to set the target level, this is what I get:

The first 2 possibilities (AV processor volume and SPL meter range) don't apply since I'm testing the soundcard cal with the loopback still hooked up, and the sweep level is at -12 dB.

#5 ·
You just need to do the SPL meter calibration, and make sure that when you do it you have a good signal coming in from the meter. If, for example, you were to go through the meter cal process but the meter was off or set to a very high range or the cable had a bad connection REW would treat the very low signal it was getting as being the 75dB level (assuming you cal at 75), then when a correct signal is fed in e.g. your loopback you get a very high SPL reading. Your best sanity check is the VU meters, as they show you signal levels relative to the maximum range of the soundcard. If you have a sensible level on the VU meter but the SPL reading is way off, redo the SPL meter calibration.

#6 ·
Thanks Guys!!

Brucek - delete settings did it.

JohnM, thanks for the explanation. You were absolutely correct, and now I know why Deleting the settings worked.

So back to business. As I suspected, things were a little off kilter. But the BFD has worked its usual magic and I got a pretty good result.

I punched up my House Curve a little too:

20, 7
80, 0

Do you think its too aggressive?

Next I'll test the integration with the mains. It still doesn't seem to have the "oomph" I want so maybe that's why...

Craig

#10 ·
Ok, started from scratch. All BFD filters off, notch filter in Pre/Pro off

Then I bumped up the Sub amp volume and did 10 different tests with the Phase knob. Best result was at about 5% shift:

Then I reapplied the BFD filters and adjusted the sub amp vol as necessary. This is about the best I could do. What do you think? No matter what I do I can't get rid of the dip around 73 Hz. Should I worry about that? Is there anything else I can do? Move the cross-over maybe?

#13 ·
I haven't had a chance to do a lot of testing yet, but it seems a little smoother than it was. I'm just wondering if, by the graph, there are any obvious problems. Sounds like it is probably a good starting point for listening tests?

Try moving the sub, seating location or mains. I would do a REW sweep of the mains first by themselves looking mainly at the bottom end,....did you adjust the distance of the sub or mains?
I can't move the seating location. And the Sub/speakers are behind my screen so I can only move them laterally across the front, not front to back. Is there any way to tell if this is a length mode? If it is, I don't think there is much I'm going to be able to do about it.

These pictures might help visualize what I'm working with. The Sub is in the center, directly behind the screen. The mains are just inside the sides of the screen (screen is acoustically transparent)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.