Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Adjusting your HT setup

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  alan monro 
#1 ·
This is what I did and it works :jump::jump:. Before testing and adjusting any acoustic compensator attached to your amplifier , first take your speakers outside place them the same distances that they will be in the HT and place the calibrated mike at the same distance that you will be sitting in you HT. That way one will have a true reference of the speakers . The speakers are certainly NOT linear in their output , you will be surprised . Then compensate with the compensator to get as level frequency response that you can using a frequency meter and audio oscillator , note and graph it. Still out doors ( pick a fine day). Have a BBQ and a few tinnies :meal::meal:and listen to your favorite music , noting how clear it is , (totally free of room distortions) . Lug it all indoors connect it up . It will sound totally different due to the room distortions . Test it again , note and graph it . And diferances in graphs are due to room acoustics FIX UP THE SHORTCOMINGS OF THE ROOM :huh:TO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BEFORE RE COMPENSATING THE AMP AGAIN . If you are not to sure how to fix up the room including the best position for the speakers ask the experts on THE SHACK , They are a kind bunch of blokes :hail::hail:and will bend backwards to help you out . kIND REGARDS . Alan:T:T

#2 ·
Still outdoors ( pick a fine day). Have a BBQ and a few tinnies and listen to your favorite music , noting how clear it is , (totally free of room distortions)
Yeah, it does seem quite clear, but how do you stop the SPL meter from melting into the snow?

I don't even know what a tinnie is? Perhaps that's my problem.....

I guess the rest of the world will have to wait a while? :huh:

Snow Winter Architecture Automotive exterior Roof

brucek

#4 ·
brucek . For the sake of the 'rest of the world' , a "tinnie" is like a metal 'stubbie' or a can of beer . By the way the last time I was over the USA I was downing bud , not a bad drop .Never been in snow , its 80deg at the moment .But it is not hot untill it gets to 115deg .How to stop the SPL meter melting into the snow , play cool jazz .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.