Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Just another lurker...

Tags
lurker
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mpiotro 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess I decided it was time to quit lurking and give a hearty thanks to all those involved in the maintenance of this site. There is a tremendous amount of information available and it is about as organized as one could hope for.

I purchased a USB Live 24bit soundcard for my laptop (recommended here) and used the "newer" analog calibration file. I had REQW up and taking measurements in less than 30 minutes. I did of course read all the help files twice before trying to use the software or plug anything up.:reading:

A bit about my room- it is 24X13 (8' ceilings)with 3 open doorways basically to the entire 1400sf of my home (at least 1150 of it anyway). So a medium to large room considering the doorways... Anyway sub is a Danny Richie of GR-Research design, 2.4cf 12" down-firing woofer with 12" passsive radiator running off a 250W RMS plate amp. It was tough to find any analytical evidence on what to expect from the sub. I did build a 110 pound enclosure that is 21" cube- 1-1/2" walls with large cross brace to boot. Black hole5 on all interior surfaces. VERY solid enclosure- I figured I could put a rhtymik kit in it at a later time if the GR Research driver did not pan out.

I ran at least 25 sweeps from 4 major locations with the PR facing different directions. REQW was amazing in showing the differences in each location. My first & originally preferred location and orientation was at the front of my room with response falling badly at 24Hz. Wow I wish you could have seen the disappointment on my face...

Money is tight right now and I believe I could significantly improve my sound with a BFD, but I am happy I spent an afternoon dragging my 130pound subwoofer around.

Without furthur pontification... see my first graph below. Solid line is actual response and dotted line is my proposed house curve if I do get a BFD- I do propose to use a bit of boost max of 6dB on a narrow bandwidth- hope brucek does not hate me too much for my transgression. All his arguments make sense, but I figure just a lil' can't be THAT bad, right. :surrender: LOL.

I AM FLAT to 19Hz GETTING SIGNIFICANT OUTPUT AT 15Hz which makes me IMMENSELY happy for what I spent- maybe $600 and that includes $90 of walnut burl veneer and $70 of Brazilian cherry. :jump:

P.S The PR runs out of steam at 14.7 and drops at what must be close to a 36db/octave after that. but solid output to 15Hz at what I spent... INSANE! DIY is the way to go... Sound quality is absolutely top notch, too as was to be expected from GR-Research. The extension was just a bonus.

See less See more
#2 ·
I did of course read all the help files twice before trying to use the software or plug anything up
Smart.....

I could significantly improve my sound with a BFD,
Yeah, for sure. Good job with the curve. I think you would really notice the low end a lot more once you put that proposed curve into reality. You're listening to that pesky peak at 45Hz right now.....

brucek

#4 ·
I have 2 DIY GR subs in a 18" cubed box and my output looks similiar to yours. I use the rythmik amp as well.

Dual Subs

blue 14 - low, speakers small, Xover at 80
yellow 14-med, speakers small, Xover at 80
pink 14 - high, speakers small, Xover at 80
Red 14 - low, speakers small, Xover at 60
Green 14 - low, speakers small, Xover at 100

the 14 - ? is amp filter settings.
Also the phase on the amp is at 0 and crossover at max.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks for the post Chad. You seem to be able to find lots and lots of comments on AV series and the new open baffle designs. Searched high and low for comments on the Subwoofer/PR combo with very little comments out there. I'm very happy with the sound quality.

So this is DUAL 12" and PR in a single 2.4cf box or duals in a 4.8cf box?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.