Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Genesis Advanced Technologies / Burmester AudioSystems / Thorens

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  vann_d 
#1 ·
Genesis Advanced Technologies / Burmester AudioSystems / Thorens by Rutherford Audio - Room 1021

The system equipment included:

No code has to be inserted here.

Specifications

The Genesis 7.2 p monitor uses two Genesis 1" circular ribbon high frequency tranducers - one in the front and one in the rear- and one Genesis 5.5" titanium cone Mid-Woofer transducer. It has a stated FR of 52 Hz - 40 kHz with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms and a sensitivity of 86db. The dimensions are 16.5" x 8" x 11" and it weighs in at 24 lbs each.

The Genesis 7.2 c conversion speaker uses two Genesis 1" circular ribbon high frequency tranducers - one in the front and one in the rear- and two Genesis 5.5" titanium cone Mid-Woofer transducers. It has a stated FR of 50 Hz - 40 kHz with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms and a sensitivity of 87db. The dimensions are 23.75" x 7.75" x 11" and it weighs in at 30 lbs each.

The Genesis 7.2 f floorstanding speaker uses two Genesis 1" circular ribbon high frequency tranducers - one in the front and one in the rear- and two Genesis 5.5" titanium cone Mid-Woofer transducers with an additional Genesis 8" titanium cone woofer. It has a stated FR of 24 Hz - 40 kHz with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms and a sensitivity of 89db. The dimensions are 47" x 11" x 14" and it weighs in at 82 lbs each.

No treatment was used in the room.

Joe's Impressions

First off, the Genesis speakers use a standard rectangle design, but the floorstanding model has a front baffle design that really helps to break up the face. The gloss finish was well done.

Instrument separation and imaging was very good - there was a "busy" acoustical jazz track that was handled perfectly with each instrument being heard. Instrument detail was a bit of a mixed bag - high hats had a fantastic ping and resulting splash, but the piano just did not have that much detail - it just sounded lifeless. However, you could easily hear the pop of the vinyl.

Vocal imaging was dead center and male dynamic range was really impressive - there was a Aaron Neville track that sounded incredible with no signs of strain. The soundstage was a bit forward with good width. Midrange snap was good, but low end sounded a bit muddy - everything just sounded like it blended to one note.

Overall, I thought there were some good things about the system - male vocals especially. However, there were some things that I thought fell a bit short and for the system cost, I think there are better choices available.

See less See more
#2 ·
If my wife complains about the price of our Oppo i will say its a better value then that $30,000+cd player! It looks like gloss grey on the floorstanders if so I would really like that compared to my Rf-63's. I really like all the upgraded finishes that are always getting better.

#4 ·
Well, here we go with $78k in CD player, phono, and amp. That leaves like $20k for three pairs of speakers plus uber expensive cables. The entire setup makes almost no sense to me.

If I were trying to sell $78k in electronics I think I'd be playing the sounds through some $100k+ speakers so that the differences might be realized. I mean, its almost like taking an "everyday run-o-the-mill McIntosh" amp and demoing it through some Infinity Primus speakers. Not that Infinity Primus speakers are bad in any way (I own two pairs), it's just that I wouldn't expect to hear the sound quality benefits of a $5000 amplifier over a $1000 AVR with these speakers (power considerations excluded).

My point is that I kinda thought these things worked the opposite way. As in, high end electronics will only be noticeable on high end speakers. Don't get me wrong, the speakers would definitely qualify for a high end price tag in my book but not when compared with $78k in electronics. :eek:

I suppose the amp/preamp/phono guys could have just been looking to hitch a ride in a showroom in hopes that someone would like their looks. :huh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.