HLR6167WAX/XAA Digital board problems - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Samsung
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Closed Thread     Post New Thread
Views: 132361 - Replies: 292  
Old 09-01-09, 12:47 AM   #21
Shackster

Tito
Since: Aug 2009
Austin, TX
Re: HLR6167WAX/XAA Digital board problems

Yeah, guess it's a hack anyway you cut it.

Unfortunately this is my main TV and I have a family so having it be on the fritz ain't too acceptable as this IS America and that's what we do from time to time.

I've had this TV for 3.5 years and would love to get another 3-4 out of it. I can buy a new TV and just stop messing with this problem or go with a replacement board and hope for the best. What do you think the changes of replacing the board will keep me running for 3 years without big problems getting it setup?

Also do you think I should buy a new fan (the gray one between the analog and digital boards) if I replace the digital board?

Tito

Forum Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-09, 12:49 AM   #22
Shackster

Tito
Austin, TX

I'm sure the back two have plugs in them from behind the enclosure area and the one in the front is empty. Not positive about the one on the left. I thought only the front one was empty, but could have overlooked something.

Do you see any wires dangling from behind or to the right?

Forum Rules
Old 09-01-09, 01:35 AM   #23
Shackster

Bran
Plano, TX

Thanks tito. I re-checked my cable connections, found my mistake...and got the TV to turn on.

Turns out I had a 4 pin cable in the wrong spot. All 3 connectors in the upper left hand should be empty. And the little one in the bottom right corner as well.

So far, all my inputs seem to be working well (hdmi, component, etc). I'll try and log in more hours with the TV and see how it does over the next few days. I'm cautiously optimistic after hearing that your problem re-emerged....

Attachments

Forum Rules
Old 09-01-09, 06:28 AM   #24
Senior Shackster

Jason
Ford City pa

Quote:
bragginz wrote: View Post
Thanks tito. I re-checked my cable connections, found my mistake...and got the TV to turn on.

Turns out I had a 4 pin cable in the wrong spot. All 3 connectors in the upper left hand should be empty. And the little one in the bottom right corner as well.

So far, all my inputs seem to be working well (hdmi, component, etc). I'll try and log in more hours with the TV and see how it does over the next few days. I'm cautiously optimistic after hearing that your problem re-emerged....

yes those remain empty. putting to much pressure on the board may make it bow and not let all the pins get connection or even brake more of the solder joints. tito may need to loosen the bolt and make sure the board isn't bowing. to were it only has a little pressure. that or he may want to put something under the board to keep it level. something plastic so it doesn't short anything out. like a soda cap cut to size so it fits under the board tight. flat part against the board. to keep the bolt from bowing the board.

ps. don't be like the used car dealer and selling the tv when it's working knowning down the road it is going to die again.

Last edited by Jason1976; 09-01-09 at 06:58 AM..

Forum Rules
Old 09-01-09, 09:39 AM   #25
Shackster

Denbo

The Fan between the digital and analog boards is only used to cool the Cable Card, and they do run hot.
Without a cable card inserted the fan is off.

I'll be trying this fix in a couple weeks, I like Jason's idea on even pressure. I am going to find the sweet spot of connection by applying just enough pressure to hold the heat sink in place, and slowing tighten till it works.

Forum Rules
Old 09-01-09, 10:43 AM   #26
Shackster

Bran
Plano, TX

OK, here's the summary of the surgery I performed on my HL-R5067W.

I basically used the same materials as tito (#8-32x1/4" bolt and pronged tee nut at the end). But I knew going into this that I'd need something at the end of the tee nut to get more uniform pressure across the entire DNIe BGA chip. If a failure is going to occur on a BGA, it's usually due to warpage through various thermal cycles, thus creating significant stress on the corner edges of the package. This makes the corner BGA balls on the substrate tend to crack or even pop off in some cases. Because there's a wire bonded mold cap on the top of the DNIe chip, it's impossible to get pressure across the entire DNIe package by simply bolting something in the center (just over the black mold cap). The corner balls under the green substrate are still exposed. Best case scenario would be to use a "top hat" heat spreader with a cavity that goes over the mold cap, with the edges directly touching the outer edges of the substrate. Something like this.

I had a square Cu heat sink that I was hoping to use, but it turns out it was too big. So I had to improvise, and needed something just to prove that some kind of pressure on the DNIe chip would fix my problem. Best thing I could find around the house was a half dollar coin that extended beyond the diameter of the tee nut. NOT the best long term solution (especially since it's round), but good enough for a first try I guess.

Here are the photos of my "teardown."

All back covers off:

Gutted DLP after removing analog / digital board cage:

Cage removed:

Digital board housing after removing cage:

Digital board exposed, with DNIe chip in bottom right hand corner:

My first crack at the clamp using a half dollar on the end:

Outside view of installed clamp (you can barely make out the coin inside the housing):

Side view of digital board after clamp installed. Tight fit!

I had a slight scare when putting everything back together. TV appeared dead. Turns out I just had a connector in the wrong spot. But I must say... after installing the clamp, the TV was without ANY issues for the first couple of hours that I had it on.

But...if problems resurface in the future, I'll suspect it's because there's not sufficient pressure to the entire DNIe chip. The problem is we don't know exactly how much pressure is enough, and whether it's truly uniform pressure across the whole chip. But as a quick fix, I'm pretty happy with the solution that was figured out by Jason1976 and the subsequent improvements made by others on the forum. I'll continue to monitor my TV's performance and let everyone know how it works over the next few days. In all, I was only out 2 bucks for the clamp / bolt fix. Well, $2.50 if you count the half dollar coin I used...

Last edited by bragginz; 09-01-09 at 12:37 PM..

Forum Rules
Old 09-01-09, 01:35 PM   #27
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.

Start with just a little pressure and increase until it works. That is the nice thing about using a bolt and nuts. You can control the amount of tension.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Forum Rules
Old 09-01-09, 04:16 PM   #28
Senior Shackster

Jason
Ford City pa

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Start with just a little pressure and increase until it works. That is the nice thing about using a bolt and nuts. You can control the amount of tension.

lcaillo have you had any issues? it looks like the end you use against the chip may of put more even pressure accross the hole chip. looks larger then what tito used. all we need to do is come up with a camp that we can sell on ebay. 30 dollars for 3 dollars in parts.

Last edited by Jason1976; 09-01-09 at 04:22 PM..

Forum Rules
Old 09-01-09, 10:15 PM   #29
Shackster

Bran
Plano, TX

Well....my symptoms re-emerged after installing my clamp.

My biggest problem is the picture freezing and the input going in and out at random times. Could be 10 seconds or 30 seconds long. Really irritating.

I'll toy around with the clamp and see if I can get it to work better. But I'm inclined to think that there's something inherently wrong with some DNIe chips or other IC's in these DLP sets. Not just the solder connection. Maybe with some more trial and error we can find a definitive fix.

Forum Rules
Old 09-01-09, 10:18 PM   #30
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.

I am not convinced that this is a reliable and long term fix. I would not suggest selling anything of the sort, as the results cannot be assured. This is just a bandaid on a chronic problem.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Forum Rules
 Closed Thread     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Samsung »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »