HLR6167WAX/XAA Digital board problems - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Samsung
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Closed Thread     Post New Thread
Views: 126514 - Replies: 292  
Old 09-05-09, 10:52 AM   #41

vinny
Since: Sep 2009
Re: HLR6167WAX/XAA Digital board problems

thank you everyone for all the info. I too have this problem and spent 3 nights on it. Tried the hack but no go. Now I am trying just to have it work with VGA only and use as a monitor. It has been unplugged overnight waiting for it to reset.

Does anyone know of a different way to reset the TV? Everything turns on but I can not switch source to VGA so no video.

Tito, I have used all 3 of those stores and my feedback is all are fast and trustworthy.

Forum Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-09, 12:01 AM   #42
Shackster

Jay

Total price from samsungparts is $253.69, and then would come the core charge. Not too bad, considering I was quoted $800 for the part and $300 to install it, from the only Samsung-certified repair shop in my state!

I have the exact problems mentioned here -- screen image will freeze at random, green horizontal bars will appear on the screen at times, and also a sequence of dots, in a grid-type pattern, covering the entire screen image (this is a new one, as of the last time I tried to watch the TV). I'll note that the TV seemed to work OK for a short while, after having been unplugged from the wall for a few hours. I have not attempted the hack, or taking anything apart yet. I'm a bit afraid to, but I will have to. I simply cannot allow myself to buy another TV after 3.5 years of use w/ my current one.

My issue now is with the settings... I read that if a new board is installed, settings will likely need to be configured on the new board, and that this is something that a pro should (probably) do:

Quote:
lcaillo wrote:
I pulled the board back out to test the new one that I just got from Samsung. Turns out that the new board was NOT set up even close. It was set in the service menu for a Zeiss engine rather than a Samsung and this flips the horizontal image so the menus were backwards. All of the settings were off, but luckily there is an option to copy the data from the light engine back to the digital board. Still, this is a good example of why I discourage people swapping boards. There can be lots of issues, and unless you know your way around the service modes, have the documentation, have access to tech support at the manufacturer, or are just lucky, you can easily get in over your head. Especially with Samsung.
Since we see that the hack is not working well as a long term solution, this means that a new board is the true solution. Would it be possible to get instructions on what needs to be done once it's been installed, as far as configuration, etc? I would hate to get this new part, and then have it be useless to me.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WORK AND INFORMATION SO FAR!

Forum Rules
Old 09-06-09, 06:45 AM   #43
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.

The core charge is usually included in the price, then you get credit when it is returned.

As I said before, I do not have confidence that the new boards will be any better than the originals, but maybe they figured it out. We just don't know. Be aware when you make an investment in parts that color wheels and light tunnels, along with DMD board problems, are very very common in these sets.

When you install the new board, go into the service menu and select DMD-Digital to copy data from the light engine to the chassis. This will minimize settings, but will not substitute for a full calibration. There are also numerous settings which are not well documented regarding their effect and scope. You likely already know more than the service center, however, and the service documentation is rather thin with regard to the service menu settings.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Forum Rules
Old 09-06-09, 11:03 AM   #44
Shackster

Jay

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Be aware when you make an investment in parts that color wheels and light tunnels, along with DMD board problems, are very very common in these sets.
What is DMD? As for all these problems, are you saying that it's quite likely that I could replace this board, and then get some other failure within a short time? Ugh. Are LCDs prone to problems also? Seems like all TVs are nowadays, but if I buy something new, I want to try to make the best choice possible. On AVSFORUM, it seems that people like the Samsung B750 LCD, but that's over $2k. If I have to buy another TV, I would like it to cost around what this DLP did, which was around $1300... But I want to get something that is more likely to last.

Forum Rules
Old 09-06-09, 09:35 PM   #45
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.

Generally, the Samsung DLP sets have been rather service intensive. The LCD sets may be better but I still don't trust Samsung as much as the Japanese manufacturers.

DMD is digital micromirror device and is the DLP chip itself. The DMD board is the board on the back of the light engine that controls the DMD.

Whether a set is more or less likely to last is a hard thing to predict. What I can tell you is that I service all brands for several dealers, and I fix a lot of Samsung. I have a dealer who sells mostly Mitsubishi and Sony and they don't have enough work to keep me busy on that stuff. The first gen Mits DLPs had batches of bad capacitors that caused lots of problems, but none of their sets have ever had many failures in light tunnels, color wheels, DMD boards, nor lamps. Samsung sets will put lots of tech's kids through college.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.

Forum Rules
Old 09-07-09, 01:33 AM   #46
Shackster

Jay

Thank you for that! I will stay away from another Samsung. After this money out the window, I really do need to move on to a different manufacturer. What are your experiences w/ Vizio? I am just starting my research, but heard they are US-based. I'm thinking that is either incorrect, their products are not that great, or both. Leaning toward a Sony Bravia, perhaps, but again, have done almost no research. Need to look into Panasonic, Sharp, Mitsubishi, etc.

Forum Rules
Old 09-07-09, 08:07 AM   #47
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.

Please start another thread to discuss the decision making regarding purchasing a ne w set. This is really off topic here. Keep some perspective, however. My comments on Samsung are relative to the Japanese makers. At least they have serious service and parts support, which a company like Vizio does not. Calling them US-based is sort of like advertising "LED" tvs. Vizio is basically a name that gets put on the front of products that are made in china or wherever the cheapest production is this month. I would not rule out a Samsung set, but I would shop for an extended warranty if you don't have the ability to consider what you buy disposable.

Forum Rules
Old 09-07-09, 08:15 AM   #48
Elite Shackster

brucek
Since: Apr 2006

Quote:
Thank you for that! I will stay away from another Samsung.
I've done a little research into the reliability of the LCD televisions from the various manufacturers and I don't get the sense that today Samsung is any less reliable than Toshiba, Panasonic, Sharp, or Sony. I see no reason to exclude them, unless you've discovered something that I may not have read.

It's easy to find sample-of-one anecdotal evidence on the internet from someone who's TV died and now they crusade against that manufacturer, but I don't find credible reports that Samsung is to be avoided.

brucek

Forum Rules
Old 09-07-09, 08:42 AM   #49
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.

Like I said, you have to keep perspective, and we are talking about different technologies. There does seem to be a clear trend in Samsung to buy market share by building things as cheap as they can while getting high performance. We just see lots of varied problems in many of their products, while the better manufacturers seem to have less random failures. All have dogs every now and then, but the better ones seem to have occassional patterns of failures due to supplier problems.

Keep in mind that many of the LCD vendors are sharing manufacturing or outsourcing panels, if not entire sets. It is hard to generalize reliability when suppliers change year to year, or even monthly. What you can generalize is the service support and consumer relations response to problems. In this regard, the Japanese products still stand above the rest.

This needs to end this discussion here. This is a very important area that needs its own thread and is off-topic here.

Forum Rules
Old 09-08-09, 10:12 PM   #50

Scott
Since: Aug 2009

Thanks everyone for all the hard work and great information. I tried the fix, which worked for about a day, but then my problems reappeared. I went ahead and ordered a replacement digital board. After installing the digital board, my original problems seemed to have been solved (at least for now), but when I turn my TV on the picture is upside down. I followed lcaillo's directions and tried to copy the settings from the light engine using the "DMD --> Digital" option, but I received an "ERR" message. Any advice on how I can fix my picture? Thanks!

Forum Rules
 Closed Thread     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Samsung »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »