Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Samsung HL-R6167W looks normal then powers off.

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mtb 
#1 ·
A couple of weeks ago my 61" Samsung HL-R6167W started turning off unexpectedly. When powered on the ballast fires and the lamp lights as expected. While the TV is running the picture looks normal with no dimness or visual quality issues that I can see. At first the TV would stay on for what seemed like a random amount of time, anywhere from a minute to several hours, but now it shuts down after 30-60 seconds every time. When the shutdown occurs the video drops out (the screen goes black) first and the audio continues for another 5-10 seconds. Then the 3 lights (Time, Lamp, and Standby/Temp) start blinking.

I have done a decent bit of research on this and can't seem to find a resolution. I have seen many others describe issues with their set shutting down and the restarting but this is not my issue. Once my set "turns off" it stays off and does not attempt to turn back on until I hit the power button again. I know the 3 blinking lights on the front panel indicate a potential lamp problem but the lamp fires with no problem and the picture is bright and clear so I'm hesitant to order a new lamp. I have checked and/or bypassed both the rear door switch and the temp sensor over the lamp but the set still shuts down. I have removed the entire back panel to clean the dust out (the set had only very, very minor dust buildup) and verified that the fans I can access are working.

At this point I'm stuck. If a new lamp is what I need, despite the fact that mine lights up and looks good every time the set turns on, then I will order one but I don't want to spend $100 on something I'm not fairly confident will solve the issue. I'm not sure how many hours are on my lamp (I reset the hours accidentally before I saw the total in the service menu) but I got the TV new in 2005 so I'm sure there are quite a few. Any help is much appreciated, thanks all!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.