Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

HELP! Resolution Reset - Samsung HLR5667w

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  chashint 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have a Samsung DLP HLR5667w.

I replaced the section containing the inputs (HDMI, VGA, all the component connections, etc.) because the HDMI input was not receiving signal. Now it's receiving signal, but since I everything has been connected, my resolution on the monitor is off. Where any inputs - DVD, BluRay, PC - were smooth and clean high def images, NOW it's a pixilated image - as if the resolution has been turned way down. To be a little more specific:

1) Icons on my screen, when using PC mode, letters in the words are all made of small but discernible dots. Same if I activate a word processing program.

2) If I play a movie using VLC, the colors, especially dark colors, are "muddy" and feature that ugly "ringing" of colors as they fade into the next color. Bright scenes play better, but the image is nowhere near as sharp as what they used to be on this monitor, or say on my 19" synchmaster.

3) If I play from the BluRay, the image is better, but there is still muddiness and "ringing". It's just not quite as pronounced as if I'm playing from the PC - but it is still an issue.

I'm connecting the BluRay through a Sony receiver, using HDMI to the Receiver and HDMI to the TV.
I'm connecting the PC via a DVI cable with a DVI-VGA adapter on the TV end.

I know there must be a simple solution to this. When I go into the factory reset controls, the crispness and smooth blending of colors in the test patterns tells me that this must be something about the way the TV is processing signals coming into it.

Before that component with the inputs went bad, all my images were sharp and beautiful. Now I'm getting signal, but ... this feels like watching a 90's video game monitor... Frustrating.

Anyone out there have a secret reset code or something? Do I need to download some firmware or something?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes - I've tried all kinds of things. I've tried adjusting the resolution from the bluray (which is connected through the Sony Receiver via HDMI cable) and I've tried adjusting the output of the computer through the DVI cable (which has a VGA adapter on one end, going into the TV). I've tried all kinds of resolution rates, but the TV doesn't seem to want to switch to anything but this weird, kinda sharp-but-dot-matrix-y-resolution...

#4 ·
I will say this - the Nvidia controller won't let me choose 1920x1080 as an output from the computer to the TV, and I'm thinking I SHOULD be able to do this. I'm going to try picking up a dvi-component adapter and see if perhaps that works. But I still don't understand why I'm having resolution issues via the bluray/hdmi connector.

#6 ·
There is no resolution reset on your TV. It can only display 1280x720 which is its native resolution. Lower resolution signals are up converted to 1280x720 and higher resolution signals are down converted to 1280x720. It sounds like you have an on board video converter problem.

Try 1280x720 as an output from the computer to the TV and see what you get.

#7 ·
It could be a configuration in the service menu, but I don't recall anything like this. This sounds like you either got the wrong board or it is defective. Both are very common when working on Samsung sets.

#8 ·
Thank you - and to the other poster who offered advice. Yeah, I think perhaps it's just the board. That's a shame. It's watchable - just not ideal. For a few months I suppose I can live with it, and I guess now I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas. :)

#10 ·
I bought the exact same tv from someone off Craigslist for a hundred bucks, and took the part from that. He was down on his luck and had an apartment full of electronics gear. I turned the tv on before leaving his place to make sure it was working properly... I thought I'd gotten lucky, finding the same TV so cheap...

#11 ·
If it is the same version of the model and the set was working properlly you likely have a bad connection at a connector or upset a connection on a component in handling it. It may be a different version of the part. Samsung was notorious in these sets for using different vendors and changing things within models. The only way to check for sure is to have access to their service web site and search by serial number for their bill of materials for the set. Only authorized servicers get that access.

Check your installation of the part very carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.