Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

funkaudio vs. Precision devices PD2150

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Florianderton 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!

I need some help, thank you for your time in advance!

I read a lot of Ilkkas subwoofer measurement reports in this forum. I would like to build/ to get the best subwoofer possible, it is for music only and I d like to use it in my studio. A lot times he refers to TC sound LMS 5400 Ultra as reference. From a mastering engineer I heard JL Audio Fathom is his reference, but this one is fairly small, I wouldnt mind 300 liters if distortion gets lower. And I read in this forum that one compared funkaudio against LMS Ultra, LMS Ultra seems to have more down there, so funkaudio is perhaps better for music purposes as sounding tighter. - This is what I know now.
I have contacted Nathan from funkaudio and his new 21" driver 21.0 seems to be good for me. But there is also PD2150 with a flatlike frequency response till 2k, and I heard a lot of people say good things about Precision devices.

Can you help me? I think CB is a must for music, right? Can you say anything about PD2150 compared to funkaudio, or LMS Ultra? Or is it better (as someone told me) to take 2-3 15" instead of one 21"? I would put these 15"s into ONE enclosure, I dont mind now about roomacoustics, I just simply want to get the best subwoofer available. Which 15" driver is that good?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards from Austria,

Florian

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Florian, welcome to HTS.

I would like to build/ to get the best subwoofer possible
There is no such thing.:)
There will certainly be better or maybe even "best" fit to your particulars and preferences etc., but that is often elusive.

it is for music only
Ok, then the first critical question is, what type(s) of music? Mainly electronic/pop/rock, etc, or acoustic, jazz, clasical, etc., where one might want to preserve interaural phase differences down into subwoofer frequencies?

I d like to use it in my studio.
Details? For production? Client listening only room? Size? Pics?

cheers,

#3 ·
Hin Ajinfla,

thanks for your answer.

Interaural phase differences? The sub will be pretty much in front of the sweet spot, there will not be any phase differences... or do I take you wrong? Why is this subwoofer dependent??

The sub should be good for everything except rock and metal like music, this I will never judge and work on I guess...:)

My studio is only 20m², but I will move to a bigger room as soon as possible...The RT60 is flat even towards the bass frequencies. I will send you an email with a picture if you want.

Thank you,

Florian

#4 ·
Hin Ajinfla,
thanks for your answer.
Interaural phase differences? The sub will be pretty much in front of the sweet spot, there will not be any phase differences... or do I take you wrong? Why is this subwoofer dependent??

The sub should be good for everything except rock and metal like music, this I will never judge and work on I guess...:)
Hi Florian,

Yes, as in the phase differences between L-R, with much acoustic music types, which you didn't answer. For this type production, more than one sub can be important. For none acoustic music (metal etc), often not.
It is not sub dependent, it's music dependent. Correctly reproducing would require more than one sub.

My studio is only 20m², but I will move to a bigger room as soon as possible...The RT60 is flat even towards the bass frequencies. I will send you an email with a picture if you want.

Thank you,

Florian
Ok, thanks, but please post pics here in forum, so that others can advise as well.
The more info, the better advice can be given. My original questions still pertain. Thanks.

#5 ·
Hi Ajinfla,

sorry that I have not uploaded a picture yet, but I have only found the option to add a picture via URL, and I dont have any pictures uploaded somewhere. Furthermore I didnt manage to upload photos to my gallery, if I understood that right and there is a possibility to do so. But I dont understand why you need a photo - I mean I am sorry I cant post it here online for a everybody visible, but after all, why do you need one? I design/ build studios/ listening rooms on a professional basis as well, I dont need any help with room acoustics and positioning of the sub, or two subs. I do already own one sub, so the new one will be the second one anyway. Due to the very good group delay curve of the already existing sub I am full of hope the old and the new one will harmonize in sound, if I come aware one day I want to be even more perfect I will buy/ build a second new one. Its also a question of money. For now I just would like to get one best possible sub. And I dont mind about size, a maximum of 400l is fine. And it has to play till 100Hz (and then the gradual decrease in spl). To be honest I dont know why you asked about the music also. It simply has to be good pretty high as well.

I hope I have answered now all your questions.?

Regards,

Florian

#6 ·
Hi Florian,

A lot of drivers can be used for that size enclosure. Which would be "best", I have no idea, or what metrics would determine that for you. Bass sound quality depends on far more variables, than any particular subwoofer driver.
I suppose either of the 2 you mentioned might work in that large enclosure, but no idea which would be better or why. Sorry. Hopefully others may advise regarding your 2 choices. Good luck.

cheers

#7 ·
Yes, its complicated, subwoofers also sound... sound different, although they play only 2-3 octaves.

I have decided for funkaudio although I cant listen to it in advance and although it's truely a bit crazy to spend that much money on a subwoofer... but distortion measurements are just really good and after all I simply trust what funkaudio says about drivers, I am not a newbie here either. Thanks for your efforts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.