Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #21 of 69 Old 04-04-16, 09:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's

Quote:
ndyvidual wrote: View Post
For me, I'm looking whether the amplifier has enough output to push these drivers sufficiently. I'm also looking for how it handles delivery of power over difficult passages without needing to activate cooling fans. Any turn on/off thumps in my system. How much current is drawn and if it has an negative impact on anything on the same circuit and vice versa. Practical stuff really.

Given the frequencies I'm using it for now, sound quality should be adequate. But I'd like to also be happy with its transparency if I decide to use it in a different application (e.g. powering large front mains).
I was gonna say, short of bringing your completed subs and a store that would allow you to "audition"....

Crown XLS fans I've not ever been able to hear without putting my ear literally up to the unit. They're very quiet, never heard them go into a louder mode but if I'm listening to something at high volume, doubt it would be noticeable if it happens at all (it may be a two speed fan setup, don't know as it always seems the same level when I've bothered to put my ear up there). I've not heard of anyone mentioning the fans as being a noise issue. Mine are in the same open stand as my other gear in my living room for the subs, in the small bedroom setup as 2ch my disc player is noisier and its not bad.

I have used them for mains, did that for quite a while before I built my subs. The background noise related complaints I know of were from a few with very high sensitivity speakers (like 110dB), in a quiet room, of some background hiss. I've not had a problem but I don't have high sensitivity speakers (87 dB for me at the time for mains). I've also got one setup (I have four of these amps total) with some 90dB speakers in a 2ch setup, no hiss issues. No turn/on/off thumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 Old 04-04-16, 09:49 PM
Senior Shackster

Also, how are you planning on wiring the subs? Which voice coil version did you get?
post #23 of 69 Old 04-05-16, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

2ohm version. I'm wiring them in series (to present a 4ohm load) using 8ga cable between the coils and out to the speakon connectors.

post #24 of 69 Old 04-05-16, 02:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
2ohm version. I'm wiring them in series (to present a 4ohm load) using 8ga cable between the coils and out to the speakon connectors.
I was going to say the XLS, although capable of 2ohm, aren't as capable at that impedance as others (but the bridged mode at 4 ohm I've seen no issues with), also depends on your ULF goals to an extent (as there is a built-in roll off below 20hz on the Crowns, altho they do fine down to around 10hz per many reports). Then again a Speakerpower amp, if within budget, would be awesome. Don't know if you saw this thread but it may be of interest http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-ish-amps.html
post #25 of 69 Old 04-05-16, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Very good link, thank you! I've been doing some research on models which do NOT have a high pass filter as I do want response near 10Hz. That's why I've been avoiding amps with DSP's and such.
post #26 of 69 Old 04-05-16, 03:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Very good link, thank you! I've been doing some research on models which do NOT have a high pass filter as I do want response near 10Hz. That's why I've been avoiding amps with DSP's and such.
You don't need the dsp for eq purposes? What will you use otherwise?

ps you know 8g for internal wiring over such a distance is totally overkill? Maybe for a significant distance from amp to sub....
post #27 of 69 Old 04-05-16, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

I plan on using the room correction built into the Emotiva XMC-1 (Dirac Live Full).

I agree it is overkill, but I want a lot of cable to fill in the posts as much as possible and I have a lot of cable left that I want to use.
post #28 of 69 Old 04-05-16, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's

Got one enclosure built and starting on the second one's outer walls.

I wanted to measure to see where I am on weight for just the inner enclosure. This measurement is for a 14" cube made from birch with one brace in it...

Last edited by ndyvidual; 04-05-16 at 07:32 PM.
post #29 of 69 Old 04-05-16, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

The double walled enclosure is too heavy for my scale
post #30 of 69 Old 04-06-16, 06:04 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
The double walled enclosure is too heavy for my scale

Bathroom scale?