Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #31 of 69 Old 04-06-16, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Re: Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's

Thought of that already, but I don't own one. Neither do my friends. May just go buy a cheap one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 04-08-16, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Update for tonight: done with the building phase. Routing of all needed edges are complete and the holes for the connectors are drilled. I put them on the side so I have the option to move the enclosure closer to a wall.

Lessons learned: do the routing outdoors! Every inch of my garage is covered with dust. I'll be using my air compressor and my trusty shop broom in the morning
post #33 of 69 Old 04-09-16, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

With the garage now clean, I can work start to prepare for the grills. I see many people didn't make grills for their 'high surround' subs, but mine will be located near foot traffic so, for me, it's a must.

I'll hold off on building it until I see how far they extend, but the provisions for the grill needs to be made now. On my current sub, two of the pop-in grommets failed and I wanted this design to improve on them. I decided to use magnets.

K&J Magnetics model number RX033CS-S

They have a 20lb pull force in my application to the should prevent vibrating the grill on the subwoofer's face and from easily movement if bumped.

post #34 of 69 Old 04-09-16, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

So I used a 1 1/4" hole saw. Drilled in a little bit, then stopped, removed the pilot bit, then drilled in further-enough to use a flathead to pry out the center chunk. Placing the magnetic in, I wanted it to be just below the surface so that the body filler will skim its top, giving me a smooth sandable surface.

I attach the magnetics using glue and a dry wall screw. Submerged it in glue so it's just under the level of the face.

post #35 of 69 Old 04-09-16, 02:55 PM
Shackster

My System
Cool idea for sure, but I would give that glue a week and see how much it shrinks and cracks before skimming bondo over top. Just in case. I always use lepage carpenters glue and the puddles always curl and crack.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's-image-2908296906.jpg  

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #36 of 69 Old 04-09-16, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Completely agree. Just in the 5 hours of dry time today, the glue level had dropped .

I'm in a holding pattern anyway since my sanding discs won't arrive for another week so they'll be plenty of time for drying.

Plus it's 47F here this weekend; too cold to spread any filler.

Last edited by ndyvidual; 04-09-16 at 06:38 PM. Reason: For a bunch of little typos:)
post #37 of 69 Old 04-09-16, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Oh, before I forget....I weighed one of the completed enclosures today (bought a scale) and it's exactly 40lbs.

The driver is listed at 78 lbs.
post #38 of 69 Old 04-09-16, 09:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ndyvidual wrote: View Post
Oh, before I forget....I weighed one of the completed enclosures today (bought a scale) and it's exactly 40lbs.

The driver is listed at 78 lbs.
LOL wonder if you're going to be able to "walk" that sub....
post #39 of 69 Old 04-12-16, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
lovinthehd wrote: View Post
LOL wonder if you're going to be able to "walk" that sub....
You know as I read more build threads on the forum, my duo is pretty lightweight! There's one thread over in the ported section that had an enclosure weigh 270lbs WITHOUT the driver! I would struggle to get that up the stairs
post #40 of 69 Old 04-12-16, 12:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ndyvidual wrote: View Post
You know as I read more build threads on the forum, my duo is pretty lightweight! There's one thread over in the ported section that had an enclosure weigh 270lbs WITHOUT the driver! I would struggle to get that up the stairs
I used plywood so as not to have as heavy an enclosure as with mdf....without rubber feet they walked a bit. I still move them around separately (box vs driver) and assemble in place. I went with magnets both in the grill frame and on the box, that proved too much magnet, now just use the magnets in the box and a screw in the grill, holds fine. K&J does have a nice assortment to choose from....