Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #61 of 69 Old 05-26-16, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Re: Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's

Quote:
Action_Jackson wrote: View Post
Nice work on the boxes! I've seen many people use zip ties, looped through the mounting holes, as makeshift handles to set the woofers into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And thanks for the compliment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 05-26-16, 09:18 PM
Tim

My System

Good to hear you got it in place without incident. Yes, that is a massive woofer, and with it being surface mounted you will need a thick grill to clear it. I am doing my subs down firing to keep the kids from poking at them. I did make some for my mains out of MDF and some cloth from parts express.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndyvidual likes this.
post #63 of 69 Old 05-26-16, 09:41 PM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
ndyvidual wrote: View Post
I used 8ga KnuKonceptz blue power cable to connect the voice coils in series. I used Sound King 8ga red and black power cable to connect the driver to the Neutrik connector. To avoid any possibility of having any vibrations due to the cable hitting the inner walls, I wrapped each cable with BMW OEM fabric wire loom wrap. The filling will also surround the cables so I should have no tapping issues.

To avoid the series cable from making any noise, I left no slack in its length and also hot glued it to two contact points on the basket. All cables are soldered on their ends to make for a solid surface to insert into the spring loaded connectors. I do wish the drivers had binding posts so i could use banana plugs.

Going through all the threads on the forum, I never saw anyone explain how they actually installed these heavy drivers in their enclosures. So here's my intended approach:

Step #1: Suspend the driver over the opening [using a 3/4" board protected with microfiber clothes], connect the cables and rotate it so that the mounting holes line up with the ones in the baffle.
Step #2: With nitride gloves on, lift the driver slightly while someone else slides the board out.
Step #3: Proceed to crush the tips of all ten digits while lowering the driver to line up.

I deliberately did not recess the basket edge because I think it would make it VERY hard to pry the driver back out in case I need to remove it later. Here you can also see the speaker gasket installed to the underside of the driver. I didn't want anything sticking on my newly painted surface.
Good call on not recess mounting the drivers. As you stated they are very heavy and you will damage not only the finish but also the shape of the mounting surface itself if you try to pry one out. I know this because I've done it before.

Enclosures look like they turned out great though!
ndyvidual likes this.

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.
post #64 of 69 Old 06-01-16, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

I spent a lot of time finding strong bolts that had a small head to avoid eating into the surround, but not too small where it was barely hold from frame. Also, long enough to get through both layers, but not fully threaded so it would only have threads to catch the insert. I finally chose 10-24 2" cap socket screws. They are very strong. I just used a ratchet and hex socket to tighten them down in a cross pattern.

And with a quick wipe of a cloth made from feathers of a crying newborn angel, I cleaned the finger prints off and I'm done!

I used an old 200w/ch amplifier to power them up and an RTA to check on placement options and found two best compromises. I had both drivers pointing up so, for now, I'll put the grill construction on hold until I actually need it based on changes to placement.

For now, I'll continue discussion regarding tuning and sound impressions in my other thread I linked in post #1. Any questions about the build, I'd be happy to answer here.
post #65 of 69 Old 06-14-16, 10:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
For now, I'll continue discussion regarding tuning and sound impressions in my other thread I linked in post #1. Any questions about the build, I'd be happy to answer here.
Thoughts on how they perform (assuming you've had the chance to pour some solid power to them)?

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #66 of 69 Old 06-19-16, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Electrodynamic wrote: View Post
Thoughts on how they perform (assuming you've had the chance to pour some solid power to them)?
I'm still waiting for my amplifier to arrive. I decided on a Speaker Power SP2-4800-DP. It should be plenty of power. I'll report back once I get it connected and tuned...
post #67 of 69 Old 07-01-16, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

My 'impatient impressions' snapshot:

Received the amplifier earlier this week. I powered everything up and "checked for leaks" using Battle:LA

With everything confirmed to be sealed up nicely, I set my preamp to -5dB and listened to the pair while they reside in my most room friendly location (behind the sofa, one in a corner the other 2/3 across the same back wall).

Great impact, very deep clean bass. The sofa readily shakes. The first scenes are much more intense and the bass is effortless.

Excellent starting point
Electrodynamic likes this.
post #68 of 69 Old 07-11-16, 12:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Pav

My System

Wow, gorgeous subs - love the choice of colour and the finish looks fantastic!
post #69 of 69 Old 07-13-16, 12:30 AM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
Nick (Electrodynamic): If I orient my enclosures so that the driver is facing up, will this introduce any negative long term effects to the suspension?
It will not. The majority of the compliance of the suspension is actually from the surround, not the spider, and the surround is very durable and reliable. Even though there is a good bit of moving mass on your drivers the drivers will not sag over time...unless your understanding of "time" is thirty or fourty years at which point it may sag a few millimeters.

Electrodynamic
You can email me

Last edited by Electrodynamic; 07-15-16 at 10:26 PM.