Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #1 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's

This is a continuation of my modest build that you can read about over here.

I chose these drivers because of their compact size requirements, expected impact and relative cost. I have an odd shaped room and wanted more output to work with than not enough, so I bought two.

So here's the overview:
  • Sealed 1.13cu.ft enclosure with a single brace around the magnet
  • Inner enclosure: (2) 12.5 x 12.5, (2) 14 x 14, (2) 12.5 x 14 (all in inches)
  • Birch inner, MDF outer layers, 3/4" thick each
  • Speakon connectors

If you're in this section of the forum, you most likely know how to build these things so I'll include specific pictures I think are useful to people. Once I sketched out the design, I started cutting stuff. To get the cutout for the driver, I used my circle jig in a slightly different manner than intended. Knowing I needed 282mm (11 1/8") opening, I determined which hole setting would give me that diameter using a screw as the center point. For me, the 11 3/8" setting gave me the perfect outline.

I then cut more stuff

I wanted the mounting holes away from the thin parts of the baffle, but needed them in a specific angle so I can reproduce it. I measured the arc length between two mounting holes of the frame and then marked its midpoint. I then marked the midpoint on my 12.5"square baffled and lined them up. I clamped the baffle to the driver using clamps and then ran a drywall screw to give me a definite location to open up for the threaded inserts. And done!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Re: Upgrading With Two Stereo Integrity HST12's

So those inserts...

I wanted to use them to give me a very solid base for such a heavy driver. Moving away from T-nuts, I found them solid, but sensitive to installation. So some failed attempts and previous baffles gave me a chance to refine my method.

So step one was to place the screw in the insert first. This gave me a way to guide the angle as I drove it in to the material from the other side. I eyeballed it and made sure its shaft was centered with the larger hold I drilled for the insert.

I ended up NOT using a flat head screwdriver (too much slop) and used a tool that i had in my toolbox for working on automotive window assemblies. It fit perfectly and allowed me to put equal pressure on the insert as I rotate.

Once I get it going in the direction I want, I put some wood glue on the threads and continued on.

With the baffle finally ready, I started to build the rest of the inner enclosure. I'm not a fan on clamp & gluing as a sole method of construction boxes so I used 37 PrimeGuard Ten 2" exterior screws for the inner enclosure and TiteBond III wood glue.

And yes, I only have two medium clamps and the small ones I showed above. I make it work though.

Remember what I said about the failed attempts with the inserts? That gave me some baffles that I would otherwise throw away. Given the price of this Birch, I wanted to use as much of it as possible, so the bad baffles turned into good braces. Building everything up and taking a router to the edges to get things ready for the second layer worked out nicely. I have now two 14" (external) cubes which need to dry.

The holes in the braces are for routing the cables through so I can tie them down and not have them rattle on anything.
post #3 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 02:02 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Whoa, what's the xmech on those drivers?! Are they from Sundown by chance?

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #4 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Whoa, what's the xmech on those drivers?! Are they from Sundown by chance?
50mm according to the website.
post #5 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 02:18 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

The FS is 15.9Hz? That looks like a competition driver - all surround and dustcap, no cone - which usually means a very high FS. Quite the little beast it seems.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

I hope it meets my expectations! I'm using both of them to replace my single Klipsch RT-10D which isn't meeting my needs any longer.
post #7 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 04:44 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ndyvidual wrote: View Post
I hope it meets my expectations! I'm using both of them to replace my single Klipsch RT-10D which isn't meeting my needs any longer.
LOL I don't think you'll have any regrets.

What are you using for an amp?
post #8 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

I'm undecided and am open to suggestions...

My plan right now is to try a pair of Red Dragon 1k monoblocks and if I feel that I need more headroom, then return them under the 45 day trial and buy one of the Speakerpower 2.5kw amps.

I'm looking for remote turn on, quiet operation, efficiency and high sound quality.

Any other suggestions?
post #9 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 08:47 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Quote:
ndyvidual wrote: View Post
I'm undecided and am open to suggestions...

My plan right now is to try a pair of Red Dragon 1k monoblocks and if I feel that I need more headroom, then return them under the 45 day trial and buy one of the Speakerpower 2.5kw amps.

I'm looking for remote turn on, quiet operation, efficiency and high sound quality.

Any other suggestions?
Yes check into the EMOTIVA XPA-1 1K mono blocks OR the CROWN XTi 4002 which aslo has DSP functions,PEQ and Xover...in fact I would probably go with the Crown's anyway.... way more power than you need which means you won't drive them as hard...

Wow I bet that BHS24 24 will rip the drywall screws out of your walls and ceiling......

AVR - MARANTZ 7702 w PANGEA AC14
AMP - EMOTIVA XPA7 w PANGEA AC9
DISPLAY - EPSON 5040 / 120in DIY SCREEN w BEHR SILVER SCREEN
MAINS + SURROUND - DIY w DAYTON PT2C-8 PLANAR MID/HIGHS + DAYTON 9" MIDBASS -
SUBS - (2) DAYTON 15" ULTIMAX
SUB AMP -CROWN XLS2502
BLURAY -SAMSUNG UBD K8500
HTPC - HALO CLARO + EXT CARD w BURSON 5th GEN. DISCREET OPAMPS,

Last edited by RTS100x5; 04-02-16 at 08:52 PM.
post #10 of 69 Old 04-02-16, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
Yes check into the EMOTIVA XPA-1 1K mono blocks OR the CROWN XTi 4002 which aslo has DSP functions,PEQ and Xover...in fact I would probably go with the Crown's anyway.... way more power than you need which means you won't drive them as hard...

Wow I bet that BHS24 24 will rip the drywall screws out of your walls and ceiling......
The Crown doesn't have remote turn-on/off. And fitting two XPA-1's in the available space will be very difficult. The Red Dragon's form factor is ideal and the fact that it doesn't have the extra DSP capability is a plus since my A/V processor can handle tuning duties. I just wish it had more power...