M-21 Giveaway Build Pics - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 428 Old 03-06-10, 12:06 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Maelstrom-21 giveaway build

Quote:
corock wrote: View Post
Here's something I could use help with. I plan on making the front of the box about 2.5" thick so I can counter sink the sub in 7/8" and have 1.5" to mount it to. Any idea on how I'm going to cut a circle through 2.5" of solid wood?
First off let me say this looks like it may turn out to be the best build on this forum with the way you are going about making the box. Magico makes a lot of there cabinets this way and they are one of the most expensive and best sounding speakers around Magico Mini II pic

As far as the cuts through 2.5" you might need to first make the counter sink with your router and a Jasper jig 300J You can't use the normal Jasper jig as the largest circle is on the 200 or 270 is a little over 18".

I don't know if there is a 1/4" router bit that is long enough to cut through 2.5" and I am not sure from a safety standpoint that it is a good idea even if there is. I would first make the 7/8" counter sink for the driver first then make a circle jig for a jig saw to make the driver cut-out. I did see a that Milwaukee makes a circle jig for jig saws and I know Bosch has one as well but the bosch version I hears is bad. I remember another thread somewhere that someone just made there own jig saw circle cutter but I can't remember were I saw that.

I hope that helps some.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 428 Old 03-06-10, 12:30 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
re: M-21 Giveaway Build Pics

I just saw that the Jasper 300J is calibrated for a 1/2" router bit so there may be some in that diameter that can cut through 2.5" but I don't know off hand.
post #93 of 428 Old 03-06-10, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

Thanks for the encouraging comments Mike. Those Magico speakers are beautiful! I don't think they make jigsaw blades long enough because of the reciprocating motion. I just found the router jig I need on Fresh Meat's build and he pointed me towards Milescraft. While researching that I discovered Milescraft also makes 2 3/8" long reach router bits. I'll just have to go down 1/2" at a time, which won't be so bad when your using a jig.
post #94 of 428 Old 03-07-10, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

I was able to spend a few hours cutting today. Here is the complete box in its rough form. The piece of cardboard is the same dimensions as the Maelstrom 21.

M-21 Giveaway Build Pics-p1000251.jpg

M-21 Giveaway Build Pics-p1000253.jpg

M-21 Giveaway Build Pics-p1000252.jpg

M-21 Giveaway Build Pics-p1000258.jpg

I have to replace 3 of the existing boards then its more cutting to remove the inside.
post #95 of 428 Old 03-07-10, 07:08 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

!

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many sheets of plywood did you have to get and how much did each sheet cost?

I think it would look great if you finished it off like the Magico speakers and show the ply's.

This is my new favorite build.
post #96 of 428 Old 03-07-10, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

I got 6 box sized pieces out of each 4X8 sheet of $47 dollar plywood and needed 6 sheets to get the 34 pieces in the box.

I am going to keep the ply showing like Magico. However, I would like the box to be black to match my other speakers. I hope to acheive both by using a black french polish. I'll start experimenting with that on a seperate test piece during the sanding stage.

I also plan on creating the internal bracing out of the boards themselves as I cut out the inside, similar to how Magico does it. Does anyone forsee that creating any issues? I think it would make an incredibly rigid enclosure. sketchup attached.

layers.skp

Last edited by corock; 03-13-10 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added sketchup of bracing
post #97 of 428 Old 03-07-10, 07:35 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I can't think of a better way to do the braces then how you plan on doing them.
post #98 of 428 Old 03-08-10, 06:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Looking great so far - I'm glad a fellow Saskatchewanian won the beast

That shop almost makes me want to ask if I can come over and play. I need a shop like that.
post #99 of 428 Old 03-09-10, 12:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

I'm curious. How do you plan to smooth out the area around the driver flare out from individual angles into a smooth continuous curve?
post #100 of 428 Old 03-09-10, 01:05 PM
Banned!
Ryan

lookin good!