M-21 Giveaway Build Pics - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Sealed Subwoofer Build Projects
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 88746 - Replies: 427  
Old 03-06-10, 11:06 AM   #91
Elite Shackster

Mike
Since: Nov 2007
San Dimas, CA
My System
Re: Maelstrom-21 giveaway build

Quote:
corock wrote: View Post
Here's something I could use help with. I plan on making the front of the box about 2.5" thick so I can counter sink the sub in 7/8" and have 1.5" to mount it to. Any idea on how I'm going to cut a circle through 2.5" of solid wood?
First off let me say this looks like it may turn out to be the best build on this forum with the way you are going about making the box. Magico makes a lot of there cabinets this way and they are one of the most expensive and best sounding speakers around Magico Mini II pic

As far as the cuts through 2.5" you might need to first make the counter sink with your router and a Jasper jig 300J You can't use the normal Jasper jig as the largest circle is on the 200 or 270 is a little over 18".

I don't know if there is a 1/4" router bit that is long enough to cut through 2.5" and I am not sure from a safety standpoint that it is a good idea even if there is. I would first make the 7/8" counter sink for the driver first then make a circle jig for a jig saw to make the driver cut-out. I did see a that Milwaukee makes a circle jig for jig saws and I know Bosch has one as well but the bosch version I hears is bad. I remember another thread somewhere that someone just made there own jig saw circle cutter but I can't remember were I saw that.

I hope that helps some.

Mike

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-10, 11:30 AM   #92
Elite Shackster

Mike
San Dimas, CA
My System
re: M-21 Giveaway Build Pics

I just saw that the Jasper 300J is calibrated for a 1/2" router bit so there may be some in that diameter that can cut through 2.5" but I don't know off hand.

Old 03-06-10, 11:55 AM   #93
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
Since: Sep 2009
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

Thanks for the encouraging comments Mike. Those Magico speakers are beautiful! I don't think they make jigsaw blades long enough because of the reciprocating motion. I just found the router jig I need on Fresh Meat's build and he pointed me towards Milescraft. While researching that I discovered Milescraft also makes 2 3/8" long reach router bits. I'll just have to go down 1/2" at a time, which won't be so bad when your using a jig.

Old 03-07-10, 05:46 PM   #94
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

I was able to spend a few hours cutting today. Here is the complete box in its rough form. The piece of cardboard is the same dimensions as the Maelstrom 21.

Name:  P1000251.JPG
Views: 1101
Size:  188.7 KB

Name:  P1000253.JPG
Views: 1052
Size:  176.7 KB

Name:  P1000252.JPG
Views: 1820
Size:  193.5 KB

Name:  P1000258.JPG
Views: 1086
Size:  188.1 KB

I have to replace 3 of the existing boards then its more cutting to remove the inside.

Old 03-07-10, 06:08 PM   #95
Elite Shackster

Mike
San Dimas, CA
My System

!

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many sheets of plywood did you have to get and how much did each sheet cost?

I think it would look great if you finished it off like the Magico speakers and show the ply's.

This is my new favorite build.

Old 03-07-10, 06:23 PM   #96
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

I got 6 box sized pieces out of each 4X8 sheet of $47 dollar plywood and needed 6 sheets to get the 34 pieces in the box.

I am going to keep the ply showing like Magico. However, I would like the box to be black to match my other speakers. I hope to acheive both by using a black french polish. I'll start experimenting with that on a seperate test piece during the sanding stage.

I also plan on creating the internal bracing out of the boards themselves as I cut out the inside, similar to how Magico does it. Does anyone forsee that creating any issues? I think it would make an incredibly rigid enclosure. sketchup attached.

layers.skp

Last edited by corock; 03-13-10 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: added sketchup of bracing

Old 03-07-10, 06:35 PM   #97
Elite Shackster

Mike
San Dimas, CA
My System

I can't think of a better way to do the braces then how you plan on doing them.

Old 03-08-10, 05:38 PM   #98
Senior Shackster

Jeremy
Since: Dec 2009
Eastend, SK, Canada

Looking great so far - I'm glad a fellow Saskatchewanian won the beast

That shop almost makes me want to ask if I can come over and play. I need a shop like that.

Old 03-09-10, 11:30 AM   #99
Elite Shackster

Josh
Since: May 2007
Louisville, KY

I'm curious. How do you plan to smooth out the area around the driver flare out from individual angles into a smooth continuous curve?

Old 03-09-10, 12:05 PM   #100
Banned!

Ryan
Since: Jul 2009
sfsd

lookin good!

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Sealed Subwoofer Build Projects »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »