M-21 Giveaway Build Pics - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Sealed Subwoofer Build Projects
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 85648 - Replies: 427  
Old 02-08-10, 04:55 AM   #11
Shackster

RJ
Since: Jun 2008
Leipzig, Germany
Re: Maelstrom-21 giveaway build

If going SLLT, you might also consider a deeper tuning. Try the folllowing in WinISD:
1100 Liters, 11.5 Hz tuning using a 10" port (should be 33.7" long), and a 4th order highpass at 9.6 Hz.
1.1-1.2 kW should be sufficient.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-10, 08:59 AM   #12
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
Since: Sep 2009
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

It goes low alright, but I was kinda being tongue in cheek. wouldn't 3/8" drywall resonate terribly?

Name:  1100L @ 11.4hz.JPG
Views: 1971
Size:  116.5 KB

Old 02-08-10, 09:22 AM   #13
Shackster

RJ
Leipzig, Germany

In compound with 1" mdf, I would not see any problems.
But I'm no expert on this, though I think that Rodney Alvarez could tell you more if you ask him kindly.
Since h is the only one I know of having build an SLLT (have a look in the members build database), he should have some experience with that.

Old 02-08-10, 10:34 AM   #14
Elite Shackster

Dylan
Since: Apr 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada

To the OP; if you want solid low end extension, go with the 1100 liter box tuned to 11.5hz. 12.50hz would actually be a better tuning though. It would gain you more from 12hz and up.
If you want more above 20hz, I would say build a box 395 liters tuned to 14hz.
It would give you 4dB from 20hz and up as opposed to the lower tuned box. But, with the lower tuning, you would gain 4dB around 12hz or so.

Old 02-08-10, 10:38 AM   #15

lsiberian
Since: Mar 2009
Fort Worth, TX

I think you'd be better with a higher tuning. You give up a lot of headroom for that low tuning.

Sealed can be done, but you will need to get a berhinger feedback destroyer to eq the response you want. I'm not sure aesthetic is happening with a ported monster that size.

Old 02-08-10, 11:00 AM   #16
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

I do use a behringer right now on my subs. If my room acted like Kevin's simulation in the M-21 application notes, I could probably build a 200L (7cu ft) sealed box and eq it flat out to 15hz. That wouldn't be much bigger than my current PB-13U

You've got me seriously thinking of going sealed now. With the much smaller enclosure I have a lot more ability to play with shapes, finishes, etc and make it a beautiful box. As well, if I sell my existing subs I would have the money to put a lot of power behind the sub.

Last edited by corock; 02-08-10 at 01:03 PM..

Old 02-08-10, 03:44 PM   #17
Shackster

RJ
Leipzig, Germany

Oh, I'm sorry, I still had the pre-production parameters of the M21 in WinISD.
The actual parameters changed my opinion to 1100 Liters/12.1 Hz with 10" port 30" long (better 11" port 37" long, but I don't know where to get this measure) and approx. 1.3kW.
Tuning to 14Hz might look better in the 20Hz range, but what about room gain?
My simulations, the difference in maximum spl is less than 2dB >20Hz and less than 1dB >30Hz, would it be noticeable?
If I were to power a big concert hall with this sub, i would agree to sub_junkie and choose the 14Hz tuning or even 15Hz, but the target room does not look that big.
Even sealed might be a good option, as the TO already stated, but I would be curious to see him build an SLLT with the M21.
Greetings
RJdaMoD

Old 02-09-10, 09:44 AM   #18
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

I think I'm leaning toward sealed, because it has a much better chance of remaining part of my system then. When you build a sealed sub is it safe to assume you don't have to worry about the exact volume of the enclosure? ie. if my goal is a 7 cu ft box but I build it in an irregular shape so it is somewhere around that volume, does it matter what the exact volume is?

Old 02-09-10, 09:47 AM   #19
Senior Shackster

Mathias
Since: Sep 2007
Sweden / Ireland

Quote:
corock wrote: View Post
I think I'm leaning toward sealed, because it has a much better chance of remaining part of my system then. When you build a sealed sub is it safe to assume you don't have to worry about the exact volume of the enclosure? ie. if my goal is a 7 cu ft box but I build it in an irregular shape so it is somewhere around that volume, does it matter what the exact volume is?
No it doesn't matter if it's +/- 1 cu ft or so.

Old 02-09-10, 10:24 AM   #20
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

Thanks Mathias,

I was also wondering if I use a grill to cover this driver is there any danger of it making noise due to the large displacement this driver has?

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Sealed Subwoofer Build Projects »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »