M-21 Giveaway Build Pics - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 09:25 AM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

Re: Maelstrom-21 giveaway build

Quote:
corock wrote: View Post
I use my system for music, movies and tv. Music will be the emphasis of its use though. I like all music, but lean toward hip hop, pop, rap, etc with lots of artificial bass. That's definately what I listen to if I got the volume cranked up.

This build will be about compromise, as is all builds I guess. Aethetics do play a big part of my decision making and I'm not a big fan of slotted ports. From the in-room measurements of my SVS it looks like I'm getting pretty good results down to 15hz out of a sealed box. Sure, the ported box has more spl from 15-20hz but I don't think I'm willing to give up my sealed box design ideas for it.

Kevin H. says not to bother with any less than 2000W to power this thing. The amp has to be black so that rules out the 2700W Face Audio amp. I was thinking of the Behringer EP4000. That's overkill but I guess I don't have to use all that power.
The Behringer EP4000 is essentially an EP2500 with a new name. You'll get over 2000 watts in 4 ohms bridged with very low distorsion, but not 2500 watts, and definitely not 4000 watts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 09:35 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I used my EP4000 to power my dual Q18 sealed bridged into 4ohms with no problems at all and never clipped the amp once. Going from my previous sealed to my two ported, I personally prefer the slot ported subs. The Q's are very musical drivers and even in sealed lean towards a higher qtc which is why I think the curve I have ported still gives me good mid bass. I listen to trance, r&B and even linkin park and it rocks in all of them.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

cheers

Graham
post #43 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

We'll give it a go. Its FREE, what do I got to lose. If I build it and going sealed was a mistake, I still got dual SVS PB-13 Ultras, not a bad back up plan.
post #44 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

I got the notice from UPS today, the beast is in the mail.
post #45 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 01:04 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
We'll give it a go. Its FREE, what do I got to lose. If I build it and going sealed was a mistake, I still got dual SVS PB-13 Ultras, not a bad back up plan.
can I just quote or do I have to make a comment? ok... i felt some pain in my chest when I read that. like what I felt when I read a dear john once. true story.
post #46 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

It's all right Ryan, it's all tongue in cheek. Don't worry, I'll do this impressive driver justice.
post #47 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 01:44 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
It's all right Ryan, it's all tongue in cheek. Don't worry, I'll do this impressive driver justice.
another smart mouth like me... I like it. when can we expect pics of sawdust?
post #48 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 01:55 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

+1 for the pictures of sawdust.
post #49 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

I'm not going to start until the driver arrives. It left Washington today on its way to the great white north. Sawdust there will be plenty of. I'm going to stack 3/4" plywood to create a curved box. I'll use six 4x8 sheets. I could probably create a second box for a smaller sub out of the left over cut-outs from this one.
post #50 of 428 Old 02-12-10, 02:09 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Six 4x8 sheets. WoW! I used 5 sheets of 4x8 mdf and that was for both my subs. And plywood. That stuff is so expensive here in the UK. Its about 3 times the price of mdf. I like the idea of curved. That should be very interesting. Can't wait to see you start building.

cheers

Graham