M-21 Giveaway Build Pics - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Sealed Subwoofer Build Projects
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 87427 - Replies: 427  
Old 02-12-10, 02:19 PM   #51
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
Since: Sep 2009
saskatchewan
I started this thread.
Re: Maelstrom-21 giveaway build

I'm using plywood because I want to stain the wood so the lines and texture are still visible. I'll be using sanded plywood because it doesn't have chunks missing from the edges like the standard sheets. Its about $45 a sheet. in Canada.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-10, 03:27 PM   #52
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

Here's some renderings on how I plan on building the box. It's 24" wide x 28" high X 29" deep and should be between 7.5-8 cu ft. I designed it to highlight the size of the M-21.

Name:  side view.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  top angle.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  37.4 KB

or here is a bit different version and would add about 1 cu ft

Name:  think side angle.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  53.4 KB

Last edited by corock; 02-13-10 at 04:10 PM..

Old 02-13-10, 04:49 PM   #53
Senior Shackster

Drizt
Since: Aug 2006
Melbourne, Australia

, that will look excellent. Looks very difficult to build ???

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)

Old 02-13-10, 05:31 PM   #54
Banned!

Ryan
Since: Jul 2009
sfsd

um...wow?

Old 02-13-10, 05:43 PM   #55
Shackster

smoggysky
Since: Aug 2009
los angeles

nice, can't wait for the pics

Old 02-13-10, 06:49 PM   #56
Senior Shackster

matt
San Antonio, / Duluth MN

Quote:
smoggysky wrote: View Post
nice, can't wait for the pics
x2.. Page 3 and not even 1 pic

Old 02-14-10, 02:07 AM   #57
Elite Shackster

gperkins
Since: Aug 2008

I agree too that is going to test anyones skills. How are you going to do the curves?

cheers

Graham

Old 02-14-10, 09:12 AM   #58
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

The box will be made of horizontal cross sections of 3/4 " plywood stacked on top of each other and glued together. The main bend in the box is easy as that is on the same plane of the pattern cut into the plywood. The curve around the driver gets a bit trickier as it on an opposite plane. Essentially I will have to widen the pattern 5/16" as I approach the widest part of the circle. Widening the tube part of the pattern will increase the area before it intersects the main box giving it that blend as it approachs the rear of the box. That will leave me with a rough pattern of the tube around the driver, from there its a lot of sanding. Right now i'm leaning toward the bottom design with the square back half of the box.

There won't be any pics until after the driver arrives. It should be here next week. I need to actually see this thing and physically use it as I make my patterns. This design will take lots of careful thought...measure 6 times and cut once in this case.

Old 02-14-10, 12:32 PM   #59
Senior Shackster

Raven
Since: Aug 2008
Bolingbrook, IL

Awesome! I look forward to seeing this built. I love ambitious designs and clever woodworking!

Old 02-14-10, 03:52 PM   #60
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

I'm leaning towards design 1 because its 1.5" shorter than design 2 but still the same volume. But I've been looking at these so much my perspective might be out of wack; I would appreciate your opinions on which design you like better 1 or 2?

If you want to do a 3D spin around the boxs, download Google Sketchup and go to this link http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...3e&prevstart=0

Name:  compare 3.png
Views: 1188
Size:  105.6 KB

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Sealed Subwoofer Build Projects »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »