M-21 Giveaway Build Pics - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Sealed Subwoofer Build Projects
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 91252 - Replies: 427  
Old 03-05-10, 11:49 AM   #81
Senior Shackster

Michael
Since: Jan 2010
Milford PA
Re: Maelstrom-21 giveaway build

Quote:
corock wrote: View Post
I've got the outside cut on half the boards. It takes about 15 minutes to cut each board, plus prep, get the tunes going etc., so I get a few boards done each night after work. I really don't have much wood working experience so just figuring out how I was going to do this took quite a bit of research and trial and error. I planned on doing all the cutting by router and trashed the first board finding out that it was the wrong tool for the job. Jigsaw was the right way to go. I'm also experimenting with how I'm going to finish the wood once its together.

Once all the outside is cut, then I have to cut the inside, glue it together, put in the bracing, cut out the hole and sand it. The sanding is going to take quite a while. So I'll probably put up some pics once I've got it to the point where its ready for sanding.
What trouble(s) did you have with the router? That's what I am planning on using as well. I have a jigsaw also, but I thought that the router would give me a more persission cut.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-10, 12:02 PM   #82
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
Since: Sep 2009
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

I thought the same thing. Because I am cutting so many boards I created a template and used a guide on the router to follow the template. I had to do the entire template free hand because my entire design is curves (I went with a subtler version of design 2, less curve on the back of the box). Because a router can move in any direction quickly, my lines aren't exact, there are little ripples here and there. Those transfer to the actual boards as I follow the template. Those aren't the end of the world since they can be sanded out. Here's where the real trouble started. When your using a bushing guide to follow a template you cant actually see the bit of the router, its not open like a regular router base plate. So you have to follow the template strictly by feel. While cutting the first board the guide slipped above the template and I put a 1/8" dent in the board. I can't sand that out and filling it would hide the grain, which I might want to keep when I finish the project. And routering 3/4 plywood is a very slow process. The jigsaw can't go sideways without intentionally turning it and I don't need a smooth cut on my project because lots of sanding is already mandatory.

Old 03-05-10, 12:11 PM   #83
Senior Shackster

Michael
Milford PA

OK. I see now. Sounds like a lot of work. My design will have me just cutting a bunch of circles. No template. How is it going with the jigsaw now? Making more progress?

Old 03-05-10, 12:20 PM   #84
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

Yes, now that I've got it down its going pretty good. The orbital jigsaws they build now days (I haven't used one in 20 years) cut really fast. However, every board is a different pattern from the last. The basic shape of the box is a standard pattern that I trace from a template, but the cone part of the box requires a different dimension on every board. That requires a lot of measuring, thus 15 minutes to cut one board even when I'm most efficient. And I'm not rushing, any error outside 1/16" trashes the board. I think so far I have two boards that I might have to replace because of errors while cutting the rounded corner at the back of the box.

Old 03-05-10, 05:42 PM   #85
Elite Shackster

Dylan
Since: Apr 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada

Its going to be interesting to see how the finished box ends up. Its looks like a difficult design to do, along with any small errors can throw the whole thing off. Glad to see that you've made some progress I would be anxious to get the box built if I had one of the 21" drivers When I got my Mal-X, my Uncle and I built the box in ~8 hours? That included getting everything ready, getting the materials, and other stuff.

Old 03-05-10, 07:40 PM   #86
Elite Shackster

Mike
Since: Nov 2007
San Dimas, CA
My System

Hey Corock,

It might be good to show some pics along the way or ask for help from the members here if you ever get stuck. There are a lot of members here who have already gone through what you are doing and may have useful tips.

Old 03-05-10, 10:08 PM   #87
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

You bet Mike, I won't hesitate to ask for help. I've gotten lots of advice here and know how much wealth of knowledge and experience this forum has to offer. You're right, it might be good to show some pics along the way in case somebody has some suggestions or spots something I don't see.

Old 03-06-10, 12:15 AM   #88
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.

Okay, here's where I'm at so far.

My first step was to find a curve that suited the size of the box. I created it on sketchup, but because its asymetrical it posed the problem of replicating it in real life. So I made zoomed in photocopies of the sketchup and pieced them together to give me a blueprint to work off.

Name:  sketchup curve.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  92.0 KB
Name:  curve.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  185.2 KB

This is the template I made for the router, which didn't work. But it gives you and idea of what each board will look like once I have the outside and inside cut. Of course this template doesn't include the modifications I make to most of the boards to creat the cone part of the box.

Name:  router template.JPG
Size:  171.2 KB

this is my first cut that I use as my sketching template for each board that follows. It gives you a visual of what the top of the box will end up like.

Name:  top template.JPG
Views: 910
Size:  112.8 KB

Creating the cone requires gradually changing the dimensions of the above template. This diagram is how I determined what measurements to use.

Name:  cone dimensions.JPG
Views: 930
Size:  193.2 KB

As you see here I'm about half way through the stack of plywood for the outside cuts. The cone part of the box is starting to take shape. So is the daunting task of getting that rough circle down to a smooth surface.

Name:  half way.JPG
Views: 929
Size:  145.2 KB

This side view gives you a glimpse at how the cone will blend into the box once its all sanded down.

Name:  half side.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  148.6 KB

And this is the 64000 btu electric furnace I just bought for my garage because the 16000 btu construction heater I've been using just isn't cutting it.

Name:  furnace.JPG
Size:  134.6 KB

That's it for now. I'll get some more pics up once I've got all the boards cut and can show what the full box will look like.

Here's something I could use help with. I plan on making the front of the box about 2.5" thick so I can counter sink the sub in 7/8" and have 1.5" to mount it to. Any idea on how I'm going to cut a circle through 2.5" of solid wood?

Old 03-06-10, 07:10 AM   #89
Senior Shackster

Michael
Milford PA
re: M-21 Giveaway Build Pics

Nice start. It's bigger than I imagined. It will be interesting to see how the ends of the plywood sand down. What type of plywood are you using? How will you sand?

Old 03-06-10, 09:59 AM   #90
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

corock
saskatchewan
I started this thread.
re: M-21 Giveaway Build Pics

i'm using pre-sanded 3/4" plywood from Home Depot. My plan is to bring down the large areas around the cone with a wood rasp, then for the entire box I have a belt sander, random orbital sander and hand block waiting. I was thinking I'll have to take it right from 100 grit to 600.

It is pretty big, but once I've got the driver in imagine there is only going to be a 3" wood frame around it.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Sealed Subwoofer Build Projects »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »